Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 07:26 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I don't know how the soldiers feel about being thanked for their service but I will tell you how I feel. If it is an older person, then fine. Younger people should say it then go sign up and serve yourself. Better yet, bring back the draft! If you love this country then you should be willing to fight and die for it.

I think we should look for service to our country as a requirement before voting for someone. That would eliminate most of our worst presidents.
I disagree with almost everything you said. I do not feel that military service is any type of indicator of how any President will perform.

I would support the draft if it were for men and women and there were no deferments. However, as the military seems to be downsizing, it would be impractical for more people to sign up, much less have anyone figure out what to do with millions of draftees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2014, 08:32 AM

893 posts, read 886,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
wow, welcome home parades? Even my combat friends don't consider themselves as Heroes. That is odd because none of my military friends like the idea. They have very humble attitude about their service. They believe it is a privilege to serve, they just want to be positive everyday and get on with their lives. But they were never turned off by civilians offering them "Thank you for your service." They move on without giving it a second thought. They also said it is always nice to be acknowledged .

It is kind of odd that you want them to be treated as heroes, welcome home parades, all the women throwing their arms around and stuff, but are offended when civilians say "thank you for your service" To each his own I guess.
This. Arguing with this person is self defeating. He/she is obviously an anti war liberal troll

Old 04-17-2014, 09:28 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iowa4430 View Post
This. Arguing with this person is self defeating. He/she is obviously an anti war liberal troll
I don't dare saying that lol he/she perhaps has a point, I just don't get it lol

Honestly, I've never met a service member who is truly offended by civilians nice gesture, we should respect their boundaries obviously, but we need to show our appreciation and gratitude. I believe that

Here is an article I think it is good for all of us to read

What to say to our Veterans, and what NOT to say.

http://www.thestory.org/things-say-and-not-say-vet

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 04-17-2014 at 09:49 AM..

Old 04-17-2014, 10:28 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,078,401 times
Mixed feeling here.

I tend to keep my service years private in life. but when I go to the VA for my weekly oil change, I get thanked by my Dr and the young lady at the travel pay window.

I thank them back for being kind to an old man.

Old 04-17-2014, 12:39 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,111,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceAndLove42 View Post
A few weeks ago I was talking to two good friends of mine that are both in the Army and have been for years. They have also done tours in Iraq. I remember telling them how proud I am for their service and then they said thanks but that they really don't like it when strangers have done so. So we talked for a bit about it and there were two main reasons given why going up to some random soldier and thanking them for their service isn't always a good idea:

1. It draws unwanted attention and makes many feel uncomfortable, especially when they are just trying to eat or go about their day especially since many of them just feel as if they're just doing their job.

2. The person you are thanking for their service may actually be a real douche bag and I was even told you go up to a random soldier and thank them for their service you're just as likely to get someone who is lazy/incompetent and an overall bad soldier as you are one that is hard working/competent and an overall good one. Admittedly I had never thought of this before. I have thought about the above and not wanting to disturb them though.

Of course I do appreciate all the hard work you all do, I just was curious how the military men/women here feel about it.

Makes me uncomfortable. I usually answer back by saying You're welcome, but thanking me isn't necessary.

Old 04-17-2014, 04:26 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
It is one thing for someone you know, a friend, a parent of one of your students.... to acknowledge that you your have a tough job and are doing it well.

This seems different to me than a total stranger walking up out of blue. Perhaps they've seen you get your teacher's discount at Barnes and Noble. Or watched you drive away from the teacher's parking lot.

In the first case, they are acknowledging that they know you have a tough row to how and appreciate it.

In the second, there can be sort of a creepy fan vibe to the encounter.
It's more often strangers, honestly...people in a given situation where you are making small talk, and "what do you do for a living?" comes up. All I have to say is, "I teach developmentally disabled kids," and a total stranger will start talking about how they don't know how I do what I do, etc. Whenever my husband is thanked for his service, it's because he's wearing a uniform and has just performed a service. Not so creepy to have it acknowledged by people who just witnessed it.

I get that some people prefer to keep their service private. They are not the people who talk about their service. They are not the people who are likely to choose to do military funeral honors, perform color guards, march in civic events like parades, etc. where they will be appearing in uniform. In all likelihood, there is no way a stranger would know they are military, so getting accosted by strangers who are just guessing out of nowhere that they are military probably isn't much of an occurrence.

I will say that if you are going to take advantage of a military discount to get a break on costs at various businesses, museums, and events, advertise your veteran status on your vehicle's license plate, etc. you really have no right to get touchy when somebody then comments on your service. You can't really have it both ways.

Old 04-17-2014, 04:38 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
I'm not sure what the last sentence is all about. I've had a number of reps and comments, so I'm thinking I might not be the only one who sees things this way. But if I am, so be it. Wouldn't be the first time.
Yup, I've gotten a fair number of reps and comments on this thread, as well, what of it? Are we gonna compare who's got a bigger cheering section or something?

Quote:
You bet I'm angry that we treat vets so poorly. We all ought to be ashamed of the way our nation treats them. I don't understand why those folks who are so appreciative of their service aren't angry as well.
Who says they're not? I've been unclear on this entire thread why it is that you seem to equate people thanking members of the military for their service with not giving a crap about veterans' affairs. I would venture to say a fair number of people who go out of their way to thank vets ARE people who are ashamed and appalled that for so long, we had a society that blatantly mistreated veterans...lots of them ARE those veterans who were mistreated.

Quote:
If you feel strongly that you need to thank soldiers for their service whenever you see one, go for it. I'm sure there are those who bask in the glow of adoration by strangers.
Military members spend their careers in the service of strangers The fact that there are strangers vocal in their appreciation of that choice shouldn't be that odd.

Old 04-17-2014, 05:33 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,260,559 times
I'm one of those guys that just did their 3 years and went home. Wasn't no war going on 1957-1960 and I was thankful. I remember about 10 years ago, a lady at the walking track heard me say something about the Army. She asked, did I serve and I said yes and she said "thank you for your service. I mentioned it to my walking friend, that was the first time I had ever been thanked. He then said"thank you for your service.". Two times in 54 years.

Old 04-18-2014, 08:11 AM

190 posts, read 391,885 times
Personally, having a strong and lengthy family and friends connection with the military (especially the Navy), I will gladly thank any veteran I see for their service. Should this person be a "less than honorable or bad" service member/veteran, I have no way of knowing that beforehand. That said, it is their conscience that is affected, not mine. I try to thank servicemembers, past and present, out of personal gratitude (as selfish as that may sound) I don't run up to a servicemember/veteran who is several yards away from me so as not to make them more uncomfortable. Nor do I go up to someone in a setting with his/her family so as not to interrupt their possibly limited time with loved ones. Although I never served on Active or Reserve Duty, I was a daughter, niece, sister and spouse of veterans and I thank them all. On the other side of the "thank you coin" I am, at present, a volunteer for a youth program that requires me to wear an appropriatly insignia modified U S Navy Uniform. I have been thanked for what we do while in uniform. I've tried to explain to those who've thanked me that we are not serving and I do feel awkward for being thanked. I was told, however, by a 20+ year retired U S Navy veteran that we are serving by molding future military members. Everyone has their own personal reasons for joining the service. I have mine for being unable to do so as well as for being a part of the youth program I'm in now. I know I can never measure up to those who've served honorably and I would never claim to be able to do so. I will, however, be eternally grateful to those who've served and will let them know that I appreciate them.

Old 04-18-2014, 09:10 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
As a Canadian Forces veteran ( 30 years service, 1966 to 1999 ) I have had that said to me, by strangers, usually around Remembrance Day ( November 11th here in Canada ).

I volunteer with the Royal Canadian Legion, which is our national veteran's association. I would be dressed in the RCL dress uniform, wearing my "rack " and asking the public make a donation, and to wear a poppy, as a sign of mourning and honour. Of the 34 million people who live in Canada, about 20 million buy and wear a poppy at Remembrance time, each year. The money raised goes directly to Legion programs for veterans, of any age . I all ways point out to the public that Canada now has "young veterans " as well as the WW2 , and Korea era guys.

Most people know that Canada has been deeply involved since the 1950's in both NATO and UN peace keeping, or peace making, in some situations, but only another experienced CF man or woman will be able to trace my career, based on my decorations. My Military Police cap badge is unique in appearance, a totem pole, with a wreath of maple leafs, worn on a bright red beret. Most folks don't know what it is.

When I see a younger male, who has an amputation, I take a closer look, and usually I can tell that he is ex CF military. I try to make conversation and usually begin with "what unit were you with '? If he comes back with the nick name of one of the CF land force units, like the Pats, Van Doos, or Royals, or The Straths, I can talk about his service. With a smaller military force like ours, many times this young guy knows people that I know, or places that we both were stationed at.

If I see a current CF member, who is in uniform, and I see that he/she has a medal for bravery in action, I make a effort to speak to them , and quietly acknowledge their courage. Our system of military awards is pretty stingy about who gets what. I know people that served for a very long time, in multiple combat rotations , who have two or three campaign medals, all of the "I was there " type.

Jim B.

Toronto.
Now here's one I like to read more than once. As an ex-RCN from the era of 60's your post strikes a chord with me as I've been involved in many discussions about the word "veteran" as it applies in Canada versus the way that word is applied "elsewhere".

It is my belief we are now sliding towards the same scatter-gunning and dilution, if you will, of what that word used to mean and what it's value used to be.

I have had many ex forces members suggest to me that I should apply for the veteran license plates and I respond ~ "I would if I considered myself a veteran". I do not.

"Veteran" used to have the connotation of having seen or been in a combat zone, whereas now it simply means you could have ridden a desk or a wrench somewhere in Piapot Sask. for a three year hitch.

I reserve my appreciation for ones such as yourself who have actually undergone some form of sacrifice on my behalf. I would apply the same reasoning as I suspect you do by observing your regalia and discerning if those medals are "zone" medals or merely awards for membership and then offer up an appropriate appreciation comment.

I would feel embarrassed to drive around with a veteran license plate on my vehicle after having served and been paid for a three year hitch in the RCN posted to HMCS Naden attending NTS while learning a trade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues