Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 11:09 PM

130 posts, read 133,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
As a Canadian Forces veteran ( 30 years service, 1966 to 1999 ) I have had that said to me, by strangers, usually around Remembrance Day ( November 11th here in Canada ).

I volunteer with the Royal Canadian Legion, which is our national veteran's association. I would be dressed in the RCL dress uniform, wearing my "rack " and asking the public make a donation, and to wear a poppy, as a sign of mourning and honour. Of the 34 million people who live in Canada, about 20 million buy and wear a poppy at Remembrance time, each year. The money raised goes directly to Legion programs for veterans, of any age . I all ways point out to the public that Canada now has "young veterans " as well as the WW2 , and Korea era guys.

Most people know that Canada has been deeply involved since the 1950's in both NATO and UN peace keeping, or peace making, in some situations, but only another experienced CF man or woman will be able to trace my career, based on my decorations. My Military Police cap badge is unique in appearance, a totem pole, with a wreath of maple leafs, worn on a bright red beret. Most folks don't know what it is.

When I see a younger male, who has an amputation, I take a closer look, and usually I can tell that he is ex CF military. I try to make conversation and usually begin with "what unit were you with '? If he comes back with the nick name of one of the CF land force units, like the Pats, Van Doos, or Royals, or The Straths, I can talk about his service. With a smaller military force like ours, many times this young guy knows people that I know, or places that we both were stationed at.

If I see a current CF member, who is in uniform, and I see that he/she has a medal for bravery in action, I make a effort to speak to them , and quietly acknowledge their courage. Our system of military awards is pretty stingy about who gets what. I know people that served for a very long time, in multiple combat rotations , who have two or three campaign medals, all of the "I was there " type.

Jim B.

Toronto.
You are right Commonwealth countries are stingy, but what is the answer ? Would a bar to each campaign medal be applicable ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2014, 03:33 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,458,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyramidsurf View Post
Stop spreading false information.

There is no one in the military that does not make a living wage for themselves and their families. The ones that take food stamps are scamming the system.
Well, I don't know if housing allowance is counted as part of that. Even then, it shouldn't be inconceivable that they may have problems paying other bills too, like rent/mortgage, or medical care.

Old 04-19-2014, 06:30 AM

1,403 posts, read 2,498,941 times
I haven't read the comments but I know that my Marine husband gets very uncomfortable because he doesn't feel he needs to be thanked.

On the other hand, I even get thanked for putting up with the military lifestyle for 8 years, including 3 deployments. I think I even get more uncomfortable than my husband. I didn't go to boot camp. I didn't go to war. I just stood by his side, which is what any wife should do in a marriage.

Old 04-19-2014, 07:39 AM

37,331 posts, read 61,154,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
Well, I don't know if housing allowance is counted as part of that. Even then, it shouldn't be inconceivable that they may have problems paying other bills too, like rent/mortgage, or medical care.
Only base-pay is looked at for food stamp eligibility.

Base-pay is always the taxable pay [assuming a servicemember is being taxed]. The other pays might be taxable depending on other circumstances, blah blah. It is easier for the states to simply focus on base-pay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
We can insist that we only send them to war to defend and protect our nation. That's what they signed up for.

Decent pay. We ought to be outraged that there are soldiers who make so little they need food stamps to feed their families.

Top notch medical care. VA medical care is a national scandal.
I agree that we need to treat our servicemembers better.

I have seen E6 sailors who were eligible for food stamps to feed their families. It does not take much intelligence to criticize those individuals, saying that they need to spend their money wiser. I was a Budget counselor and my Dw volunteered for Navy/Marine Corps Relief Society as a budget counselor helping servicemembers to stretch their money.

If we all had the wisdom of Solomon; we would all avoid debt, feed our families porridge to save money, and we would all know exactly what to invest in.

IRL, we do not have the supernatural wisdom given to Solomon. We make foolish choices sometimes, and we are stuck living paycheck-to-paycheck. I have never used foodstamps, though I am glad they are available. I am glad that people volunteer their time to become certified to counsel others, to help each other in times of need.

In a more perfect world; our servicemembers would only be called on to protect our constitution and our borders.

In a more perfect world; our servicemembers would be given the proper training, arms, and armament before going into harm's way.

In a more perfect world; more of us would volunteer to help others, and less of us would armchair criticize the motives of our fellows.

Old 04-19-2014, 08:59 AM

586 posts, read 829,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
I've been involved in many discussions about the word "veteran" as it applies in Canada versus the way that word is applied "elsewhere".
[edit]
"Veteran" used to have the connotation of having seen or been in a combat zone.
I understand fully what your saying.

Over here (France) if you don't have the Croix du combattant (Combatant's Cross) your not generally considered by other serviceman to be a veteran.

Along with the above medal you'd most probably also have this one: Médaille d'Outre-Mer (Overseas Medal) as we don't wear campaign medals, instead you get a clasp that you add to it. From the ribbon you can't tell where they served, only if the medal is also worn.

Old 04-20-2014, 10:20 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,670,184 times
Sometimes, I think most people that say that don't really mean it.

Old 04-21-2014, 01:53 PM

1,989 posts, read 2,529,704 times
Don't like it, certainly don't deserve it.

Old 04-21-2014, 02:22 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,770,079 times
I find it awkward, as I am being thanked for doing something that I did for entirely personal reasons. My military experience was simply a job - I joined entirely for the pay and benefits I would receive.

The fact that I might have seen combat and knowingly took that slight risk (I did not) and might have been injured or killed in service to my country does not change the fact that I took those risks for reasons other than country.

This is not to say I am ashamed of my service. I am not. I did the jobs asked of me and received the pay and benefits I sought in return - a classic relationship of mutual benefit between myself and Uncle Sam. But what I did merits no thanks.

Also, this is not to say that there are not others who do indeed merit thanks for their service - I know that there most certainly are such individuals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues