U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2014, 01:12 PM

4,553 posts, read 8,014,056 times

Advertisements

Hmmm...I thank my waitress when she refills my iced tea at dinner, I thank my dog groomer when I pick up my dog, I thank my my child's teacher when we go to parent teacher night, etc. They all respond with "you're welcome", why would I be any different?

I can't imagine why any service member would be bothered by someone thanking them for their service to our country. Happened to me hundreds of time over my military career and each time I simply said "you're welcome" and continued on my way. A couple times when I noticed someone went out of their way to thank me I would say "you're welcome and thanks for taking the time to say that".

People have way too much time on their hand if a simple "thank you" for their service bothers them.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2014, 09:42 PM

193 posts, read 315,592 times
I simply say, "Thank you for saying so!"

Old 04-12-2014, 10:39 PM

1,223 posts, read 1,219,312 times
I did two tours of combat in Viet Nam and have never been thanked for my service. On the other hand, no one was ever abusive toward me because of my service, so it's a wash. I've never gone up to a military member and thanked them for their service, but I have paid for a few meals, etc. anonymously.

Old 04-12-2014, 10:53 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,613,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceAndLove42 View Post
A few weeks ago I was talking to two good friends of mine that are both in the Army and have been for years. They have also done tours in Iraq. I remember telling them how proud I am for their service and then they said thanks but that they really don't like it when strangers have done so. So we talked for a bit about it and there were two main reasons given why going up to some random soldier and thanking them for their service isn't always a good idea:

1. It draws unwanted attention and makes many feel uncomfortable, especially when they are just trying to eat or go about their day especially since many of them just feel as if they're just doing their job.

2. The person you are thanking for their service may actually be a real douche bag and I was even told you go up to a random soldier and thank them for their service you're just as likely to get someone who is lazy/incompetent and an overall bad soldier as you are one that is hard working/competent and an overall good one. Admittedly I had never thought of this before. I have thought about the above and not wanting to disturb them though.

Of course I do appreciate all the hard work you all do, I just was curious how the military men/women here feel about it.
For #1, I've heard on the news where when civilians see uniformed soldiers and offered to pay for their sandwiches or drinks while at cafes and eateries, it makes some of them feel worse since now they feel like they're being treated like a charity-case or "damaged". There are some soldiers that just politely decline, while others do take them up on that.

I talked to a marine who was on one of them vacation cruises (Royal Caribbean). He had a very hard time getting pampered, such as being waited on, having steward/esses pick up and clean the staterooms, etc. They're so used to having to do everything themselves. I found it awkward how when a waitress asked if I wanted fresh ground pepper, I wanted to reply "no thanks, I'll just reach out in front of me and do it myself ", but replied "yes" instead, as they'd probably be insulted by that given their professionalism and reputation in this sort of caliber in the hospitality industry. Hope this marine won't have too much trouble adjusting back to civilian life one day

I've met a group of marines where they avoid telling others (obviously when they're not in uniform that) they're marines to avoid certain stigmas, stereotypes, and otherwise being treated differently for the worse.

for #2, I'd think that the douche bags would gladly take the fake credit. However, some soldiers deep down may feel that they haven't done enough or could've done more, but that would be besides the point.

Old 04-12-2014, 11:08 PM

48,519 posts, read 81,063,674 times
Since most of my friends are veterans I seldom think about it. If it comes up :I say thank those who died in service or where disabled.

Old 04-12-2014, 11:16 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 8,202,058 times
1. If you don't want the attention sit at home and play video games.

2. You are thanking someone for their SERVICE, not for being a great human being.

Old 04-12-2014, 11:27 PM

4,580 posts, read 6,147,287 times
To me it's not a big deal. Once a person puts on the uniform they are saying they will defend the country and its interest with their life if need be. Agree or not that's a huge commitment. So if someone wants to give me a free buffet or a reduced price thank you. If someone wants to thank Mr for my service I will accept for they people who paid the ultimate price.

Your Welcome..

Old 04-13-2014, 01:06 AM

7,625 posts, read 13,992,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrolman View Post
I did two tours of combat in Viet Nam and have never been thanked for my service. On the other hand, no one was ever abusive toward me because of my service, so it's a wash. I've never gone up to a military member and thanked them for their service, but I have paid for a few meals, etc. anonymously.
Well then PLEASE allow me to be the 1st to take the time to SERIOUSLY, COMPLETELY THANK YOU AND THOSE OF YOU THAT HAVE NEVER BEEN THANKED!!!

We are fortunate enough to live in San Antonio...each and every week we graduate a new batch of Airmen. My DH served in the AF 24 yrs, all but one of our 6 kids have served, and everytime we see a new Airman out on town pass with his family (mostly while dining out on the weekends when they have town pass) my DH and I walk up and shake their hand and THANK them for their service for us and our country! While traveling and dining at an airport eating establishment, we make it a point to look for someone in uniform and purchase their meal without their knowledge and "pay it forward". Do the same for police, anywhere we see them eating, but then my only brother was shot and killed in the line of duty, so the sacrifices made by people in uniform is something so very heartwarming and touching to us.
We know people personally that did not come home one day, both in service TO their country and IN their country. GOD BLESS THOSE WILLING TO PUT OTHERS BEFORE SELF!

Old 04-13-2014, 01:23 AM

1,764 posts, read 2,226,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
Do the same for police, anywhere we see them eating, but then my only brother was shot and killed in the line of duty, so the sacrifices made by people in uniform is something so very heartwarming and touching to us. We know people personally that did not come home one day, both in service TO their country and IN their country. GOD BLESS THOSE WILLING TO PUT OTHERS BEFORE SELF!
I'm sorry for your loss. I also know many that didn't make it home. I think about "A Few Good Men" when Nicholson's character says "You need me on that wall!" It's true. I'm thankful everyday for the men and women that stand in defense of our country and safety.

Old 04-13-2014, 10:33 AM

13,042 posts, read 7,205,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
Hmmm...I thank my waitress when she refills my iced tea at dinner, I thank my dog groomer when I pick up my dog, I thank my my child's teacher when we go to parent teacher night, etc. They all respond with "you're welcome", why would I be any different?

I can't imagine why any service member would be bothered by someone thanking them for their service to our country. Happened to me hundreds of time over my military career and each time I simply said "you're welcome" and continued on my way. A couple times when I noticed someone went out of their way to thank me I would say "you're welcome and thanks for taking the time to say that".

People have way too much time on their hand if a simple "thank you" for their service bothers them.

Great post!. I think anyone that has an issue with some else being nice or polite has a problem. Not the person being supportive. This whole politically correct thing gets way out of hand sometimes, and thanky you for your service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues