Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 05:10 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,752,590 times

Advertisements

^^^^^

After i said that we shook hands and went our own way. Got to have tact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2014, 05:19 PM

51,651 posts, read 25,807,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
Theres a difference between approaching a complete civilian stranger and a military stranger. The other day i approach a army soldier at starbucks and commented on his combat boots because they looked so comfortable compareed to the old hard boondockers we had when i served and told him that he smiled said "oh i remember those and agreed, we made small talk and i told him "I know its an honor to serve our country and most guys don't need a thank you but really thank you!
Many older folks are convinced that younger people are thrilled to engage in conversations with them about the good old days. If it winds your watch, go for it. Just be aware that often they are merely being polite, they really are not that interested in small talk about your old boots.

I am not sure why there would be a difference between approaching a civilian stranger and a military stranger. They both have the right to go about their business undisturbed. Why should they be expected to meet the social needs of others?

Old 04-16-2014, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Many older folks are convinced that younger people are thrilled to engage in conversations with them about the good old days. If it winds your watch, go for it. Just be aware that often they are merely being polite, they really are not that interested in small talk about your boondockers or...

I am not sure why there would be a difference between approaching a civilian stranger and a military stranger. They both have the right to go about their business undisturbed. Why should they be expected to meet the social needs of others?
You know what i think? I think your attitude is odd, I bet your not even military family? I believe the only reason why this is an issue is you don't want to be bothered. Me and my friends buy lunch, pick up coffee tabs at our business, not once have we had a no thank you or thats not necessary, in fact some comeback. I agree you just don't approach every soldier you see, you have to have tact and respect boundries.

Old 04-16-2014, 05:33 PM

In the case of starbucks we were waiting in line together. Now if he had been with family or friends etc i wouldn't have said anything.

Old 04-16-2014, 05:37 PM

39,222 posts, read 27,592,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
Theres a difference between approaching a complete civilian stranger and a military stranger. The other day i approach a army soldier at starbucks and commented on his combat boots because they looked so comfortable compareed to the old hard boondockers we had when i served and told him that he smiled said "oh i remember those and agreed, we made small talk and i told him "I know its an honor to serve our country and most guys don't need a thank you but really thank you!
I don't do that. I only say "Thank you for your service" when they stopped by my store or started talking to me. To me, "Thank you for your service" is just a nice gesture. I don't ask their personal information, especially which unit they've served. What is the point of asking that, even if they tell me which unit they served, not like I really understand what they are saying anyway.

It is always the soldiers try to have a conversation with me. In term of the combat veterans friends that I have, I have more than one person told me they were very frustrated because they felt they could only share their war experiences with their combat brothers. But they definitely don't want to share it with just about anybody. They want a really caring understanding support group I guess.

I have a friend who is in the process of getting out of Marine Corps, he told me he really needed somebody supportive in real life in order to make a smooth transition to the civilian world. Unfortunately, he only has his combat brother to talk to. His mom and dad just want him to forget about Marine Corps, but he is a very proud Marine and he spent 8 years in the Marine Corps, he told me it is never easy to say goodbye.

When I met people in his similar situation, I normally say, "Thank you for your service". That to me (Key word: me) is a gesture of openness. If they want to talk, then I will listen, no more no less. I don't care about "war" stories, but I think we can all offer them some compassion and understanding.

Not all "thank you for your service" crowd want to be intrusive.

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 04-16-2014 at 05:58 PM..

Old 04-16-2014, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
I think it would be great to treat soldiers and vets as heroes. Welcome home parades would be a great idea. My Dad told of coming home in the second wave and missing all the women throwing their arms around soldiers in grateful appreciation. Now that's a welcome home that beats a "Thank you for your service," any day of the week.

If you think you are doing a good deed by going up to strangers and thanking them, then go for it.

But I and other people here are telling you that not everyone appreciates it.
wow, welcome home parades? Even my combat friends don't consider themselves as Heroes. That is odd because none of my military friends like the idea. They have very humble attitude about their service. They believe it is a privilege to serve, they just want to be positive everyday and get on with their lives. But they were never turned off by civilians offering them "Thank you for your service." They move on without giving it a second thought. They also said it is always nice to be acknowledged .

It is kind of odd that you want them to be treated as heroes, welcome home parades, all the women throwing their arms around and stuff, but are offended when civilians say "thank you for your service" To each his own I guess.

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 04-16-2014 at 06:19 PM..

Old 04-16-2014, 05:55 PM

586 posts, read 830,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
It is kind of odd that you want them to be treated as heroes, but is offended when civilians say "thank you for your service" To each his own I guess.
I think with a parade that it'd be the 'service' that's being thanked for it's service.

It'd be a show of national/state/county pride in the countries serviceman so would be less personal. It could possibly have the thankfulness without the potential of invasiveness.

I can understand that for some that would lack the personal touch that one would get from an individuals thanks. However, I feel for a proportion, especially in countries where individual praise of the military is uncommon, it would be preferable.

Old 04-16-2014, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Blue Sky View Post
I think with a parade that it'd be the 'service' that's being thanked for it's service.

It'd be a show of national/state/county pride in the countries serviceman so would be less personal. It could possibly have the thankfulness without the potential of invasiveness.

I can understand that for some that would lack the personal touch that one would get from an individuals thanks. However, I feel for a proportion, especially in countries where individual praise of the military is uncommon, it would be preferable.
Yeah.

I think the issue today is people don't want to be bothered showing gratitude because it is all about me. That is why I make sure I tell them I appreciate their sacrifices and service. Other than "Thank you for your service" I don't know any other ways to say it better. Perhaps in the future, I'd just say "How are you today?" I don't know

Old 04-16-2014, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
wow, welcome home parades? Even my combat friends don't consider themselves as Heroes. That is odd because none of my military friends like the idea. They have very humble attitude about their service. They believe it is a privilege to serve, they just want to be positive everyday and get on with their lives. But they were never turned off by civilians offering them "Thank you for your service." They move on without giving it a second thought. They also said it is always nice to be acknowledged .

It is kind of odd that you want them to be treated as heroes, welcome home parades, all the women throwing their arms around and stuff, but is offended when civilians say "thank you for your service" To each his own I guess.
Lol exactly lily, it nice to be acknowledged. To be honest, beside us vets and civilians who have family serving, i doubt people really know what it takes to be a marine or go thru hell week for example. I think if they educated themselves, they

Old 04-16-2014, 06:07 PM

Would be amazed and maybe attitudes will change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues