Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 08:50 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
I think he wants to know how soon or if he will be receiving BAH during basic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
That is what I thought he was asking.
OK... I was not understanding.

FROM: Question for those who returned from BCT: Did you GET BAH? - Army National Guard Forums

Quote:
He is single with no dependents. Army National Guard does pay BAH, but he has to prove he has a mortgage/lease/ etc

I'm wondering specifically about single, no dependents that went to basic training/ait. Did you receive BAH? If yes was it hard to prove? If not what was the reason?

Thanks in advance for the input.
Quote:
February 21st, 2012, 08:42 AM

Re: Question for those who returned from BCT: Did you GET BAH?

If your name is on a mortgage or rental agreement you will be able to get BAH while at basic/ait based its location.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2014, 09:52 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,217,036 times
I think that is just the info he was looking for Poncho. Too bad his Recruiter isn't smart enough to do that to help him out and he has to come here for answers to important questions like that.

Old 04-23-2014, 06:54 AM

3,536 posts, read 12,323,735 times
I can't speak about the Guard, but I don't know why they would follow local laws. For Active Duty in training, they get ZERO BAH if they are single, because they are provided with government housing. That's why, on the active duty side, we do a credit check to check to make sure the base pay can cover all their debts, and we don't let them join if it doesn't. You only get BAH if you have a family member.

Old 04-23-2014, 08:07 AM

24,279 posts, read 13,132,107 times
When I was an RTU instructor, one of my students in the Guard had been staying on-base during UPT in the UOQ, but was claiming BAH. The housing office did not change his status and for the 11 months active duty for training he received BAH. DFAS then contacted me (I was the assistant ops officer at the time and my commander and ops officer were both TDY that day) and informed me that the young LT owed 11 months back BAH that they would be garnishing starting yesterday. Got the JAG involved and there was nothing they could do. The student was a single member in a similar situation. Further investigation showed he had intentionally listed his training address as his home of record address to the finance office and not his base housing address. In the end his ANG unit terminated his sponsorship and he was withdrawn from training with a large debt to repay. (Note: he could not plead ignorance, either, as he was prior enlisted [E-5, I think] and had known that on-base single personnel did not get BAH. There was more to the story than just this, he had other integrity "challenges".)

I realize it may not answer the OP's question in its entirety, but underscores the fact that BAH is not given to everyone, there are definitely qualification criteria that require careful investigation and documentation.

Last edited by SluggoF16; 04-23-2014 at 08:21 AM..

Old 04-23-2014, 08:37 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
This comes from the United States Army National Guard Web Site Forum and it is fairly recent. Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) - Army National Guard Forums

Quote:
Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH)

February 12th, 2014, 05:54 PM

Frequently Asked Questions
Link: Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) - Frequently Asked Questions

Eligibility. The type of BAH for which a reservist is eligible is based on length of active duty in one location, the type of active duty and whether the member is living in government quarters. It breaks down like this:

Active duty less than 30 consecutive days — Non locality BAH rate (formerly BAH RC/T). This includes annual training and active-duty training or special work that doesn't meet the 30-day threshold.
However, serving 31 days — the minimum time required to receive full BAH — does not automatically entitle a reservist to the higher payments. For example, if a reservist is called up for 14 days and receives a 17-day extension, he receives only Non locality BAH unless the call-up or extension was for a national emergency or contingency operation.

Active duty for more than 30 consecutive days in one location. This allowance is based on the type of duty reservists are involved in, their family status and whether government quarters are assigned. Reservists mobilized in a time of national emergency or for a contingency operation automatically qualify for full BAH. Reservists who volunteer or are called up for 31 days or more and reservists called up for non contingencies also qualify for the higher BAH payments.

Soldiers that are married with or without children or single with children/dependents are eligible for full BAH during active duty status greater than 30 days, including Initial Entry Training (IET), military schools, local mobilizations and deployments.

Single soldiers without dependents are only eligible for full BAH during active duty status if in the pay grade of E-6 or above, regardless of whether they have a lease or mortgage.

Last edited by SF Hunter; February 19th, 2014, 10:31 AM.
Tags: bah, benefits, pay

Old 04-23-2014, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
This comes from the United States Army National Guard Web Site Forum and it is fairly recent. Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) - Army National Guard Forums
I think this line answers his question...

"Single soldiers without dependents are only eligible for full BAH during active duty status if in the pay grade of E-6 or above, regardless of whether they have a lease or mortgage."

ETA: on second look that says "full BAH" so he may qualify for partial BAH. Still clear as mud for me...

Old 04-23-2014, 09:34 AM

7,280 posts, read 10,943,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
I think that is just the info he was looking for Poncho. Too bad his Recruiter isn't smart enough to do that to help him out and he has to come here for answers to important questions like that.
Recruiter isn't his mother. I say too bad he didn't look before jumping. There was all the time in the world to check this out before enlisting.

I'm not getting this. What happened to self reliance, motivation, adapting and figuring out how you are going to do something before you do it?

He didn't have to come to this forum to find the answers, he just failed to find the answers before things became a problem.

It's been nearly 40 years but no one held my hand, it was figure it out son. Got handed a plane ticket and half a day later was wearing new issue. We need to do less coddling, more initiative.

Old 04-23-2014, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
Recruiter isn't his mother. I say too bad he didn't look before jumping. There was all the time in the world to check this out before enlisting.

I'm not getting this. What happened to self reliance, motivation, adapting and figuring out how you are going to do something before you do it?

He didn't have to come to this forum to find the answers, he just failed to find the answers before things became a problem.

It's been nearly 40 years but no one held my hand, it was figure it out son. Got handed a plane ticket and half a day later was wearing new issue. We need to do less coddling, more initiative.
I was a Recruiter for 14 years and it is the Recruiters responsibility to answer these types of questions and get the member ready for success at boot camp (tell them what they need to do, not do it for them). I agree that he has a responsibility to ask these questions (which he seems to have done) but it isn't unreasonable for him to expect his Recruiter can answer them without getting the run around or saying "I don't know the answer to that question".

Old 04-23-2014, 11:32 AM

98 posts, read 685,358 times
I got my answers, appreciate the feedback guys. Thing is, I am still in the process of doing a
short-sale on my home, which eventually could've become an issue with "SMP" contract after OSUT since I am selling my home to an interested party here do to a large deficiency. The last thing I need is a clearance investigator asking me why I got BAH in my case when I am in the process of a short sale, that will be put on hold until I arrive from OSUT or have to refund close to $6k for 3 month and 3 weeks of BCT/OSUT..uy! But yes, BAH is paid indeed and confirmed today. Need to get paperwork while processing at BCT according to local recruiters. Fully confirmed!

I enlist tomorrow at MEPS

A 4 month suitability review, reviewed twice for more evidence/paperwork, approved recently, physical passed at MEPS as well few days ago..so finally swearing in! Aleluya I must say

Thank all of you guys..been numerous months of continued diligence and it should be paying off tomorrow..yeah!!

Quote:

This is my initiative here Mack, oh I am in your old time shoes my brother! Never a problem, just delayed answers that required confirmation as you may also agree. Forum assist greatly, couldn't imagine back then, sorry if I confused you..we're good!

Quote:
Excellent reference as well, was reading old one with bah type 2 which don't even exist now. Thing is most stuff is outdated, even the posted jobs..you know how it is! Getting acquainted..thanks Poncho

Last edited by Joaco; 04-23-2014 at 11:48 AM.. Reason: edit: addition Poncho details

Old 04-23-2014, 11:43 AM

98 posts, read 685,358 times
Quote:

I had the worst experience EVER with my first recruiter. He was a great social guy, typical for this type of job, for the initial interview/collaboration but he was the WORST ever as a seller later on, which "selling" and "offering" is the recruiting job in my view. Everything by text, no phone calls or phone conversation, everything was with "WhatsApp" texting and he use to get pissed when I call him and left him messages. Basically I had a part-time 6-10 hour a month job following up with 1st recruiter until I said enough, thought it was about adapting and I did but darn some recruiters have it easy these days! Still parted ways amicably and nicely, but it has been years I had chase someone to do his job (might blame it on the market one day i guess)

New recruiter is a laid back soldier, tells it like it is but doesn't have all the answers at the moment. In my conclusion, if a recruiter has to many good candidates and I had suitability reviews and issues to work on and follow-ups to do + isn't connected, it's a game changer when it comes to time

The learning continues
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues