Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2014, 10:07 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,815,964 times

Advertisements

How's your eyesight? You might look into sniper school. Smart, shy, loners doing recon. . .pretty good mix.

I will caution you: shy, loner, nerd, with sniper training will be a bad mix, if you muster out and start shooting us civilians from a belltower.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2014, 11:05 AM

39,198 posts, read 27,575,665 times
I've never met a U.S. soldier who is a true "nerd". They are usually outgoing, confident, calm, respectful, professional, and yes, very smart.

You might want to read this article

How the military changed my life | The American Legion

Old 05-16-2014, 03:23 PM

5,204 posts, read 4,666,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
The Army will not change you; this mistake is something way too many people make. What ever your social status is as a civilian, that is most likely what it is going to be in the military. You are not going to go from dorky boy in high school to the cool popular kid because of the Army; the military's social structure was just like high school to me. It is only after many years and breaking out of the lower rank scale does this eventually go away (and at the same time, you grow older).
I don't completely agree with this. The army can definitely change you. Personality is based on genes and the environment. You may have the potential to show courage, discipline or confidence but unless you are in the right environment, those traits may never manifest. The army definitely exposed you to situations you normally wouldn't be in in civilian life. Who can know they possess courage under fire unless they were actually in that situation? It's true if you don't have any potential for these traits, being in the army won't help.

Old 05-16-2014, 04:05 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,416,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dollargrab View Post
I want to be a lean, mean killing machine. So I want to go either Army infantry or Marines infantry. I dont play those stupid video games. Im just smarter than kids my age, I am ranked 12th out of 861 in my class. I swim, run 3 days a week... I dont want to spend another 4 years studying though, figure I'd join the military and my dad was an Army Ranger.
with those skills, maybe you need to be a Ranger, too......hope you decide to go that route.

Old 05-16-2014, 05:00 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I've never met a U.S. soldier who is a true "nerd". They are usually outgoing, confident, calm, respectful, professional, and yes, very smart.

You might want to read this article

How the military changed my life | The American Legion
This may be true of a good chunk of soldiers. However, I've never met someone in the Navy who wasn't somewhat nerdy in some way. Just how it goes in a heavily technical branch!

Old 05-16-2014, 08:24 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,959,482 times
Sure it can change you if you open up to all the adventures. Then there's always Bud and Jack Daniels. Either way you won't come home the same person you left. If nothing else is going on go for it. It's just four years then make a decision.

Old 05-16-2014, 09:40 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I've never met a U.S. soldier who is a true "nerd".
I have. During Vietnam, if they lost their deferment, the nerds got drafted right along with everyone else. My cousin Steve being Exhibit A.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 05-16-2014 at 09:50 PM..

Old 05-17-2014, 06:44 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,081,036 times
First thing to do is go to a community college and take a public speaking course. Make up your mind that you will complete the course and pass it. From it you will gain confidence in talking to people one on one, or in large groups. They will give you the tools you need to overcome your shyness. You'd be amazed at how that will change your life.
When you realize that you overcame any difficulties in finishing the class, then you have also covered the discipline area of your needs.
Then use what you have learned to put yourself out there, whether it is military or civilian, and move on.

Old 05-17-2014, 10:58 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,803,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhom View Post
I don't completely agree with this. The army can definitely change you. Personality is based on genes and the environment. You may have the potential to show courage, discipline or confidence but unless you are in the right environment, those traits may never manifest. The army definitely exposed you to situations you normally wouldn't be in in civilian life. Who can know they possess courage under fire unless they were actually in that situation? It's true if you don't have any potential for these traits, being in the army won't help.
You miss the second part of my post? I stated:

"What the military can do is amplify good (and bad) traits a person has. If you have great traits but external factors in the civilian world holding you back, the military can unleash this in you. Likewise, if you have bad traits, the military can just make these things worse."

Old 05-17-2014, 04:00 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,416,863 times
exactly -I seen some borderline folks go downhill when put under the pressure of being in the military, taking instruction, doing what they were told.....enough to be put in confinement (prison) to teach them/rehab them......you have to put effort in transforming yourself and not leave it up the the Army "to change you".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues