Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2014, 07:01 AM

1,738 posts, read 3,006,336 times

Advertisements

Nothing irks me more than Vets who guilt trip others on memorial day. Get off your high horse and let people enjoy themselves. I've been seeing it all weekend on Facebook.

My exact feelings.

Terminal Lance - Terminal Lance “Memorial Day 96″
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2014, 07:27 AM

1,403 posts, read 2,503,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyramidsurf View Post
Nothing irks me more than Vets who guilt trip others on memorial day. Get off your high horse and let people enjoy themselves. I've been seeing it all weekend on Facebook.

My exact feelings.

Terminal Lance - Terminal Lance “Memorial Day 96″
You still haven't let us know what you did in the military....

Old 05-26-2014, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAinSC View Post
You still haven't let us know what you did in the military....
You go first.

Never mind, I just looked. You were never in the military.

Old 05-26-2014, 07:46 AM

Quote:
You go first.

Never mind, I just looked. You were never in the military.
I'm a military spouse to a USMC scout sniper.

Moderator cut: Comment removed. Obscene or implied obscene words/comments are not allowed

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 05-26-2014 at 08:46 AM..

Old 05-26-2014, 07:54 AM

Quote:
I'm a military spouse to a USMC scout sniper.
If I recall correctly, you're the one that attempted to question my service, when you have never spent a day in uniform.

You also posted about how annoyed you are with the way memorial day is treated. I responded that I'm sick of Vets riding their high horse. Let people enjoy the holiday as they see fit. I participated in OEF. It's no one's business how I spend my holiday. I couldn't care less if my neighbor wants to BBQ and have people over. Yesterday I went to Home Depot and bought some tools that were on sale. The horrors...

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 05-26-2014 at 08:46 AM..

Old 05-26-2014, 07:56 AM

Quote:
If I recall correctly, you're the one that attempted to question my service, when you have never spent a day in uniform.

You also posted about how annoyed you are with the way memorial day is treated. I responded that I'm sick of Vets riding their high horse. Let people enjoy the holiday as they see fit. I participated in OEF. It's no one's business how I spend my holiday. I couldn't care less if my neighbor wants to BBQ and have people over. Yesterday I went to Home Depot and bought some tools that were on sale. The horrors...
Again, you are not answering my question on what you did in the service. Hmmmm....

Old 05-26-2014, 08:10 AM

28,660 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
It does bother me a bit. Not the shopping as much, businesses are trying to make a profit, nothing will stop that.

But the focus on BBQs, parties, drinking, etc. That does kind of rub me.

When I was stationed in Italy, they do a Memorial Day [though I do not recall the date]. It is strong in their culture that EVERYONE visits the graves of relatives, flowers are put on all war memorials, etc. Nearly the entire nation wears black that day every year.

I was impressed that even the US / Allied Forces cemeteries in Italy [for that matter all of them through-out Europe] are very well cared for. With local military parades, guard units, fire Departments, etc, in their finest uniforms.

But here stateside it is taken much more as a happy party atmosphere.
Italy, of course, was totally involved in WWII. So was the US, and most of the people who were here then respect Memorial Day.

Since the Vietnam war, however, the US military has mostly been a legionary force and its wars have barely brushed the lives of the rest of America.

Old 05-26-2014, 08:41 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
Quote:
Again, you are not answering my question on what you did in the service. Hmmmm....
It is really none of your business.

Old 05-26-2014, 09:49 AM

11,157 posts, read 13,995,357 times
Quote:

Absolutely. Let people enjoy this holiday and others like it. I will be having friends over and grilling an enjoying my holiday just like anyone. But it is not asking too much that people remember what it is that has enabled our way of life in this great country. As we drift deeper and deeper into the entitlement-minded culture we're becoming, days like Memorial Day are even more important than ever because they remind people that others have sacrificed in order for this country to continue. Maybe it'll give us pause in our campaigns of "me-first."

Old 05-26-2014, 10:43 AM

39,200 posts, read 27,575,665 times
You log on yahoo! today, the first thing you see is celebrity wedding news. Who cares really? Entertainment industry insist on shoving things down our throat. Isn't today Memorial day?

People (civilians or veterans) are going to do what they are going to do regardless how we feel. It is just life.

However, different people deal with grief in different ways, especially women, especially civilians. Grief is a highly individual journey. Some people choose to never talk about the people they have lost, some people choose to keep their memories alive, no matter how they choose to grieve, there is no right or wrong ways because closure itself is such a strange word when referring to a life. A little bit venting is certainly healthy to deal with frustration and or grief.

Do people (civilians and Veterans) know It has become a Memorial Day tradition on the part of the 3rd Infantry Division, (The Old Guard) to place flags on every grave at Arlington National Cemetery?

Do civilians know that “Battlefield Cross” is to be a reminder, to all who see it, that the one who once filled these boots and held this rifle, in his last act on earth, faced DEATH in order to protect our freedom?

It is never too late to teach the true meaning and history of Memorial day.

Memorial Day - Holidays - HISTORY.com

Op I want to wish you, your husband and all veterans a peaceful memorial day. I will be thinking about all of you and especially "some who gave all."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_Hrfo6XrmA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues