U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2014, 01:19 PM

1,470 posts, read 1,556,145 times

Advertisements

Isn't Memorial Day about remembering every dearly departed person who made great contributions?

Well even now that I've said that it still seems a bit too broad.

Are Memorial Day AND Veterans's Day all about the military?

If so, a bit redundant isn't it? Not that I'd ever complain about 3-day weekends.

(Where I'm coming from: 1) I'm a military Veteran. 2) My father passed away over a decade ago and his brother sends me a new photo of fresh flowers on my daddy's grave every Memorial Day.)
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2014, 01:35 PM

24,126 posts, read 38,859,608 times
Memorial Day originally honored the people killed in the American Civil War, but has become a day on which the American dead of all wars are remembered. It is observed the last Monday of May.

Veterans Day was originally called Armistice Day and established to honor Americans who had served in World War I. It now honors veterans of all wars in which the U.S. has fought. It is celebrated on November 11.

Veterans Day is not to be confused with Memorial Day. Veterans Day celebrates the service of all U.S. military veterans, while Memorial Day is a day of remembering the men and women who died while serving.

INFORMATION FROM: American Holidays | USA.gov

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 09-26-2014 at 04:34 PM..

Old 05-26-2014, 01:41 PM

24,126 posts, read 38,859,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelpha View Post
If so, a bit redundant isn't it?
No. I believe "remembering the men and women who died while serving in the country's armed forces" is never redundant.

Old 05-26-2014, 01:44 PM

8,768 posts, read 10,329,110 times
Armed Forces Day (3rd Saturady in May) recognized and honors those who are currently serving in the US Armed Forces.

Memorial Day (last Monday of May) recognizes and honors those who died in service with the US Armed Forces.

Veteran's Day (November 11th) recognizes and honors all those who have served in the US Armed Forces.

Old 05-27-2014, 08:32 AM

30,309 posts, read 31,181,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelpha View Post
Isn't Memorial Day about remembering every dearly departed person who made great contributions?

Well even now that I've said that it still seems a bit too broad.

Are Memorial Day AND Veterans's Day all about the military?

If so, a bit redundant isn't it? Not that I'd ever complain about 3-day weekends.

(Where I'm coming from: 1) I'm a military Veteran. 2) My father passed away over a decade ago and his brother sends me a new photo of fresh flowers on my daddy's grave every Memorial Day.)
Memorial Day weekend is a 3 day holiday period. But Veterans Day isn't part of a long weekend as it is always on November 11.

Old 05-27-2014, 06:08 PM

10,312 posts, read 9,435,544 times
While Memorial Day was always (of what I was taught) a day to honor our deceased military, many people visited cemeteries to place flowers on their non-military loved ones' graves. It became a tradition in some families. But, yes. Memorial Day is mostly to honor our fallen military.

Old 05-27-2014, 08:58 PM

10,147 posts, read 18,123,288 times
Memorial Day was organized by the GAR and originally intended to honor the loyal American dead from the Civil War, not the rebel dead. It was a day to remember the sacrifices made suppressing the rebellion.

Old 05-27-2014, 11:57 PM

38,673 posts, read 45,016,991 times
As Poncho_NM stated: Memorial Day is a federal holiday in the United States for remembering the men and women who died while serving in the country's armed forces.[1] The holiday, which is celebrated every year on the last Monday of May,[2] was formerly known as Decoration Day and originated after the American Civil War to commemorate the Union and Confederate soldiers who died in the war. By the 20th century, Memorial Day had been extended to honor all Americans who died while in the military service.[

Old 05-30-2014, 02:25 PM

965 posts, read 1,011,255 times
Memorial Day is a National holiday that nearly everyone observes (government and private employers, as well as schools).

Veterans Day is generally a holiday for government employees, banks, and schools. Consequently, it is a regular day for many veterans, and a holiday for many non-veterans and those too young to be veterans.

Armed Forces Day is always on a Saturday, and therefore not a holiday.

Old 05-30-2014, 03:16 PM

4,549 posts, read 8,001,354 times
I recently attended a class on a military base and the class was scheduled to meet on Veterans Day. Everyone in the class was a veteran and when I inquired if we got the day off the idiot professor said "Veterans Day is a day off for civilians to remember veterans not for veterans to have a day off" (the prof was not a veteran). I told him he was an idiot and I took the day off anyway. I was called into the Dean's office after the professor reported me for calling him an idiot and after hearing what the professor had said, the Dean said "that guy is an idiot, I'll take care of him".

I don't think that Professor will say that to a veteran again.

As has been said, Memorial Day is to remember those that have fallen while serving in the armed forces. Veterans day is to remember and honor all veterans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or