Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2014, 03:21 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
While 29 is not old I would give some serious consideration to Boot Camp at your age.
Seriously? My husband enlisted at 28, after completing his degree and working as a civilian for several years. It's not horrifically uncommon (he works as an instructor on a base, now, and has plenty of "older" boot camp graduates enrolled in A-school), nor is it a problem as long as you are sufficiently in shape to complete PT requirements. The recruits who have had a bit more adult life experience OFTEN make better soldiers/sailors/marines/airmen than the average 18-19 year old yahoo who has problems with authority, if his instructing experience is any indication. He's been in thirteen years at this point, served in Iraq in his mid-upper thirties.

At any rate, OP, what's the real deal, here? Did YOU personally post something untrue, or did somebody else post it about you? You are waffling as to what the situation is. If you posted untruths, did you do so under you own name or an otherwise identifiable moniker? How is someone going to know that you misrepresented yourself on an anonymous internet forum somewhere, or whatever? You've got some sketchy information going here, at best. They way you are describing it also sounds like it's not so much the fulfillment of a lifelong goal going, here, but rather a backup plan because you don't have a job. Honestly, right now, there isn't a military branch that is beating down the door to recruit people who need it as a "plan b." Screwoffs get booted out due to repeat disciplinary issues weekly in droves at my husband's base (he is involved in the disciplinary review process as an NCO). The military can afford to be choosy, and don't need people who aren't already up to the task, at the moment. Nobody NEEDS you in the military right now, esp. if you come in with for real baggage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2014, 06:52 PM

5 posts, read 5,905 times
The story was actually written by someone else but before it was published I read and approved of it...It was a combination of my real back ground and a fabrication of service and awards. It was intended to get our company an award and was supposed to be only distributed locally however it was 'erroneously' turned public when it was placed on the internet. I had an opportunity to say it was too much but let the opportunity go because I was insured it wouldn't be a big deal. Yes I know 29 is pushing the limit but I have wanted this for such a long and I have more drive now than ever. I want to make this right and I know it will be hard but I want to earn this. I am all in for a lifestyle... if I wanted a paycheck I would look for a job. Instead, I want this... I just want to make sure this isn't going to stop me from completing it.

Old 07-13-2014, 07:17 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,758,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymousforareason View Post
I just want to make sure this isn't going to stop me from completing it.
No body is sure of anything...

Go see the recruiters.

Answer their questions.

I don't thin anything I have heard in this thread will affect anything. Don't turn this into a a soap opera...

Good luck to you.

Old 07-13-2014, 07:48 PM

5 posts, read 5,905 times
Sorry it has been a long day of discussing this with EVERYONE on FB...thank you local media for twisting a story to fit your needs...Essentially i did not write the story. I was approached by a co-worker who wanted to make a story and thought I was a good candidate to be the subject. I agree to allow them to use me thinking it would allow us to win an award and gain some respect in the office. The co-worker wrote the article but before it was submitted I proof read it and had the opportunity to refuse. Although I was alarmed at how blown up it was I was assured it wouldn't be a big deal and that it would only be a local issue. Unfortunately it was publicized and picked up by a number of local media programs who began to blow it up much bigger than anticipated. Thanks to social media it is now nation wide including my very small home town where everyone has felt it necessary to write me and call me names. Although wrong in every way, I had good intentions in agreeing to this however I know the highway to hell is paved with good intentions. I had no part in the distribution of the article. It took off on its own. I know 29 is pushing the age limits but I have wanted to do this for so long that despite knowing I will routinely get my a** kicked not only for normal MO but also because of this story and I accept that. i want to try and gain some respect back from everyone not to mention fulfill a life long goal and have a lifestyle change that I have needed since 17.

Old 07-13-2014, 10:24 PM

1,221 posts, read 1,903,364 times
I am now retired, but one tour of duty was as a recruiter. I don't remember anything on the enlistment application that addresses this situation. I think, as a recruiter, it is a non-issue. But I'm gonna be cruel here by asking; Do you really want to be in the military or is this a method to salve your own conscious for those actions?

Old 07-14-2014, 08:05 AM

24,292 posts, read 13,139,168 times
Having not seen the article(s) in question no one can comment on whether or not this is a case of stolen valor; I'll accept that it's not. However, as the OP has already mentioned, Basic COULD be rough is the DI and even other trainees discover the ruse and ostracize or isolate him (I'm assuming the OP is "he"). Following that however, there could be further complications regarding the security clearance process. Depending on how detailed the clearance prcess and background investigation is and the level required, and based on the fact that investigators use all tools available, including social media, in order to perform investigations, there may be some "irregularities" discovered. To the OP: Be ready for that. Don't volunteer it but it may come up, and again, not having seen the articles published it may or may not be relevant. It's a continuing topic on other forums, web sites, and even taught in some schools: be careful what you post, it can and will be used against you.

Old 07-14-2014, 08:37 AM

2,319 posts, read 3,050,958 times
So now that you want to join the military BECAUSE you can't find a job you want to make all of this right .... yeah sure you do. Some consequences can last a lifetime. I'm thinking yours will be one of them.

Old 07-14-2014, 11:57 AM

5,444 posts, read 6,991,441 times
In my opinion, you want to make this right? DON'T join the military.

Old 07-17-2014, 02:21 AM

4,862 posts, read 7,961,723 times
Whatever happened to don't ask don't tell. If your so concerned bring it up with the recruiter and go from there. Just don't lie.

Old 07-17-2014, 06:22 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,758,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltovegas View Post
Whatever happened to don't ask don't tell. If your so concerned bring it up with the recruiter and go from there. Just don't lie.
The "Don't ask, don't tell" policy is not related. It was the official United States policy on service by gays and lesbians in the military. That policy ended in 2011.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues