Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2014, 05:57 PM

408 posts, read 722,901 times

Advertisements

Are they bullied? Treated like everybody else? Does it make a difference if they are US born or foreign born?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2014, 06:05 PM

1,485 posts, read 2,253,228 times
With the probably exception of basic training/boot camp (they'll probably be targeted by drill instructors for having an Arabic-sounding name, but even then they can only go so far) they get treated just the same as everyone else, as long as they do their job. 99+% of Muslims joined the military for the exact same reason anyone else did - as a way of saying 'thank you' (for those who are immigrants), sense of honor or duty, to see the world, to get an opportunity to get an education (both technical and collegiate). There's a small handful that snap and inflict harm on their fellow man (Ft. Hood tragedy for instance), but they probably represent no greater a proportion than white, black, Latino or Asian service members who go postal.

Old 02-28-2015, 04:35 PM

408 posts, read 722,901 times
I mainly asked because I'm thinking about joining but have heard many stories of Muslims in the military being called names or having their tires slashed and so forth. I don't mind a little teasing but not downright harassment.

Old 02-28-2015, 04:53 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,792,383 times
Tires slashed? Who does that?

You will get hazed. Everyone does. It's part of the attack on individualism and it's just what it is.

Fat,skinny,muscular,mustache,no mustache,bald,longhair,glasses,tall,short,white,bl ack,Mexican,Jewish,Muslim,Christian,male,female,sm art,dum,fast,slow,young,old,rich,broke,married,sin gle,divorced,happy,sad,angry,straight,gay, and on and on.

It's the military, it's what happens, and it's all in good fun. Work hard, don't talk back, and if you do make it funny and you'll do just fine.

Old 03-05-2015, 05:39 AM

499 posts, read 2,156,861 times
One of the best Soldiers that ever worked for me was Muslim. He was looked up to by others. Nobody cared about his religion. I suspect you'd fine that Soldiers have a far more favorable view of Muslims than does the average American. We've worked and fought along side of many Muslims since 2001. Not to mention we've trained with them for a very long time- attendance at our schools, military exercises, etc.

Old 03-05-2015, 02:59 PM

195 posts, read 669,029 times
I wouldn't tell anyone. I did at my previous unit and it was an all consuming issue. Told no one at my current unit and everything is much much better for it.

Old 03-07-2015, 03:00 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjd1 View Post
Are they bullied? Treated like everybody else? Does it make a difference if they are US born or foreign born?
Military is so politically correct, anyone that demonstrates any sort of racial, sexual discrimination will be taken care of by the command (hopefully). I've been out of the military for 5 yrs, but during my time, I received so much mandatory equal opportunity training that it's almost a knee jerk reaction to take a protective stance when I see/hear an injustice toward anyone due to his race, religious, sexual orientaiton, etc. I was in combat service support - so things might be differen in the "real military" - ie infantry, field artillery, armor, etc (Army).

I'd expect anyone joining the military try to assimilate with others the best they can or they'll be given the cold shoulder no matter who/what their beliefs are. Gotta be part of the team.

Old 03-10-2015, 07:32 AM

1,538 posts, read 2,305,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtyGuy View Post
One of the best Soldiers that ever worked for me was Muslim. He was looked up to by others. Nobody cared about his religion. I suspect you'd fine that Soldiers have a far more favorable view of Muslims than does the average American. We've worked and fought along side of many Muslims since 2001. Not to mention we've trained with them for a very long time- attendance at our schools, military exercises, etc.
This is exactly right. My husband has been in the USAF for 20 years now and I'm positive he'd agree with this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues