Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 06:01 PM

1,738 posts, read 3,007,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnumforc View Post
Rather than waste an entire several paragraphs, I simply paraphrased the above from your post.

It IS true that unless you actually served you do not know the sacrifice veterans have put forth for their country. The adage "All gave some, some gave all" is especially true in combat zones where life is much different than rear echelon areas or sitting stateside reading reports on a computer or poring through paperwork. Not that those jobs are not critical to the overall mission, but nowhere the same as being on the front lines. I have no idea where or if you ever were in combat sir, but I can tell you it is a sacrifice. Wondering if today or even this hour will be the last you see. Seeing the carnage and wondering how much more you will have to see before it's over. And it never is.

As a Vietnam vet, 100% disabled, who didn't even apply for benefits until I couldn't afford the specialized civilian medical care any longer, I suppose I am one of those you call "entitled"? And yes, you do use that word to describe veterans. Laying your life on the line selflessly for 6 years in the military, and then trading one uniform for another and doing it for another almost 40 years in civilian life gives me no "entitlement". I EARNED every benefit I have coming from disability, to healthcare to burial benefits. On the broken bones of my back, my scars, my brain injury from explosions, exposure to toxic chemicals, tumors in my head, and more. Nobody is giving me anything. Free education? Ha! I paid every cent for my college degrees while working and it took me 25 years to earn a doctorate.

I don't ask for respect from anyone. I earned respect throughout my life. I respected others and treated them the way I expected to be treated. I someone says "Thank you for your service" I reply "You are welcome" Enough said. I don't expect more, but it is nice to be recognized. I rescued an animal from drowning and tore my rotator cuff in the process. Didn't have to do it but I did and nobody said thank you, but the knowledge I helped an animal was more than I could ever ask for in thanks. If a waitress at a restaurant is extra helpful, not only will I tip extra but will address her manager with kudos to her. That's how life should be. Civil to all.

And you have a problem with that somehow?
Aren't you proving my point?

We get it. Life is hard as a service member. I'd say that most people are really thankful for your service.

But, saying it's us vs them or you'd never understand unless you served is pointless. The original post was directed at the comment claiming "far too many people don't understand sacrifice". You don't need to experience something in the first person perspective to understand it. And it's completely disingenuous when the public goes out of their way to help veterans.

There are a lot of things I haven't done in my life that I can safely say is unpleasant, and I'm thankful for the people who do it to make my life better.

Did I ever say that your benefits weren't earned? I said I'm sick of entitled veterans. We all know the type as much as we don't want to admit it. They hold onto their service and use it as a crutch.

Not paying your mortgage? "But, I'm a vet! You can't take a vets house!"

"I'm a vet, how dare the HOA tell me I can't do this."

"I DESERVE a 100K a year job because I'm a SNCO and if they don't give me one it's because civilians don't like vets."

"I served my country while you didn't, you can't enjoy memorial day!"

These are all things I've seen happen in the last couple of months alone. And I know that I'm not the only who is noticing this trend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2014, 06:12 PM

1,738 posts, read 3,007,483 times
First, you told me that companies don't help vets find work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandiDay View Post
Help finding work? Hmmm....not yet. Business opportunities? Ditto.

It takes a very special person to do this...and I applaud both the author, and the OP. Understanding and a bit of appreciation from civilians is not demanded, but is certainly in order and not unreasonable.

That's all the Vets and service people I've ever known only asked for.

Dandiday
Then you tell us this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandiDay View Post

Time and again, but more recently, I've had conversations with people on the flights I've been on, who've given me their business cards to share with my spouse. Once they learned my spouse's career field and that he would be retiring soon, the common reply was that they actively seek out prior active-duty and career vets because of their work ethic, integrity, sense of honor, and because in general, they have a broader-based knowledge and experience.

Granted, this is definitely not across the board by any means, and could just be my anecdotal experience, as well as just relegated to my own spouse's career field and rank. However, I can say that at least the 4 gentlemen I've spoken with on these flights over the past year were either business owners or "senior execs" of a variety of businesses.

Dandiday

Old 09-04-2014, 05:59 AM

671 posts, read 690,502 times
Default whining whining WHINING!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyramidsurf View Post
First, you told me that companies don't help vets find work.

Then you tell us this.
So???
As I said, this may be relegated to my spouse's career field (medicine) and rank (high officer).

Also, SO what? There are minor exceptions to everything!

It really sounds like you have a chip on your shoulder and a major issue with prior military. This has been devolved enough...go somewhere else and start a new thread, if you must. You've hijacked it enough.

Do you want some nice Brie with your whine?

Dandiday
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues