Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2014, 08:07 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,408,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymarcia View Post
Hi, my fiance is stationed overseas in Japan, at an Air Force base. We are trying to get married, but I am still here in the states, in the state of Michigan t be exact. We are trying to find any information or any help on how to go about getting married while she is still stationed overseas on active duty and has a year and a half left in Japan. Would I be able to go down to the courts here in MI and sign a marriage license, tell them that she is in the military overseas and have the license mailed to her then she signs it and it gets mailed back to the courts? We are not sure at all how this process goes and we would be very appreciative if someone, anyone, could help us out with this! Is i even possible for us to get married while she is still stationed in Japan???

Please and thank you to anyone in advance! Any help or advice is needed and necessary
1. You go over there and get married.
2. She comes over here and gets married.
3. Just wait until she is stationed back here and get married.

Why such a huge rush to get married, to the point of doing it by mail?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2014, 08:10 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Quote:
I was thinking of doing this, thought maybe that'd understand because of her situation. And it's very hard for her to take leave.

And she has so many years left, and we've been engaged for a while, we just don't want to wait years to finally be married.

Perhaps marriage before she got deployed would have been better?

Old 08-23-2014, 12:10 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,926,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Perhaps marriage before she got deployed would have been better?
Well of course. There are no coincidences -Jack Reacher. The old Spider Sense says the o.p. is being let down gently by his betrothed. Or her betrothed... I could be way, way, way off but the o.p. does not write like a 'dude'. Either way I don't see wedding bells. Hear wedding bells that is. O.p. you don't need an attorney. You need a magician. I'm serious. There isn't anything an attorney can do that you can't do a whole lot cheaper. We're all missing something here. Something key. Something that only you can know. You and her. It's not really fair to come on here with half the story, half the facts and to hope that we can give you all the answers.

H

Old 08-23-2014, 06:53 AM

12,057 posts, read 10,262,685 times
Can you join the military and then try to get stationed together?

Old 08-23-2014, 11:45 AM

1,165 posts, read 1,220,239 times
This story sounds sketchy (on her end). I'm in the military too and, in general, when the spouse is away, the member will play. LOTS of cheating going on in the military. Watch yourself, OP.

Old 08-24-2014, 01:22 AM

9 posts, read 16,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Well of course. There are no coincidences -Jack Reacher. The old Spider Sense says the o.p. is being let down gently by his betrothed. Or her betrothed... I could be way, way, way off but the o.p. does not write like a 'dude'. Either way I don't see wedding bells. Hear wedding bells that is. O.p. you don't need an attorney. You need a magician. I'm serious. There isn't anything an attorney can do that you can't do a whole lot cheaper. We're all missing something here. Something key. Something that only you can know. You and her. It's not really fair to come on here with half the story, half the facts and to hope that we can give you all the answers.

H
There isn't any information that I wasn't willing to tell anyone that asked, if that is what they needed to help me. All anyone had to do was ask&& I would've told them more. I just gave the basics as to what I thought could help. I also never stated that I was a guy, because I am not. I am a female, but I didn't think that staying that would change me wanting to get married to my fiancée.

Old 08-24-2014, 01:28 AM

9 posts, read 16,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristo666 View Post
This story sounds sketchy (on her end). I'm in the military too and, in general, when the spouse is away, the member will play. LOTS of cheating going on in the military. Watch yourself, OP.
I also did not come on here so people could tell me to question my fiancée's being monogamous or not. Not to be rude or anything but I think for people to come on here and question if she wants to marry me as I want to marry her, or question if she is cheating or not, is not okay and it is not fair to me. It may not be the same with everyone, but I know everything going on with her and how faithful she is. but thank you for your concern.

Old 08-24-2014, 11:43 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,549,746 times
You're going to need your fiancee present to get hitched, sorry. If her leave absolutely cannot be arranged in a way that suits your needs, you'll have to wait until her tour is through and she is back. I don't know how it works to have a same-sex marriage performed in another country, even on a U.S. military base; I'm not up on the most recent legalities, so you'd have to look into that and if there are any complications to that before deciding to go there and do it. Also, there is nothing preventing your fiancee from looking into these things, herself, as well, so I'm not sure why it is that you're being tasked with getting it all figured out. When you say you've been engaged a long time, how long are we talking?

I'm a civilian married to a military member, as well...arranging family things can be complicated, and the needs of the military come first. It's just the way it is, and a reality you have to accept if you're choosing to enter into the lifestyle as a spouse.

Old 08-24-2014, 11:58 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,175,975 times
The Air Force is a pretty well run operation so she just needs to ask her personnel dept. When I was in Japan married people had to get their dependents "command sponsership" i.e. a bit of paperwork. I think if you get approved she will have to stay overseas an additional year. At least that is how the Navy did it when I was stationed in Japan.

Old 08-25-2014, 07:18 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,402,710 times
Quote:
I also did not come on here so people could tell me to question my fiancée's being monogamous or not. Not to be rude or anything but I think for people to come on here and question if she wants to marry me as I want to marry her, or question if she is cheating or not, is not okay and it is not fair to me. It may not be the same with everyone, but I know everything going on with her and how faithful she is. but thank you for your concern.
I didn't realize Michigan had legalized same-sex marriage. As to the posters suggesting you go to Japan to get married, I wonder if the US Embassy would even marry you. It's not legal in every state of the US. You might want to check into that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues