Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 06:30 PM

318 posts, read 609,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightly Knight View Post
Hi OP,

OK, First and foremost, no matter what career choice you choose, your a Soldier first, lets always keep this in mind, secondly, I would take a close look at the Army National Guard, they have very MUCH to offer, you'll get plenty of benefits from the State, however, because young recruits today are taking a closer look at the state level with Army Guard for Service closer to home and the benefits the Army Guard offers, the recruiters are having a field day recruiting.

example- what young man or lady wouldn't want to be a member of an Airborne unit, 11 Bang bang Infantry working with Black Hawks in the shop on the back pad two weekends a month? what young recruit wouldn't love coming home from OSUT with Class A's looking like a stud and changed man forever? what young recruit wouldn't love going to State School for nothing? plus $$$$$ for books and housing? what young recruit wouldn't love working side by side with State Police in Search, Rescue and recovery? and on top of this and other GREAT benefits, you can pursue your career during the week? surely you get what I am saying? so you can see, the Army National Guard "only" wants blue chip recruits who have already done their research / home work and know exactly what they want in their contracts. And, yes! you'll be on rotation and you will be deployed, nothing worthy comes for free, be on top of your game, because the recruiters start their cycle in September and are reaching their numbers by May.

Only the best need apply. Thank you and good luck.

Knight
Jeez, is that the script for a new National Guard commercial? LOL

To the OP, I joined the Army right out of high school and can proudly say it was one of the best decisions I made. That honorable discharge will help once your out to land a good job. Worked for me. Unless you stay in of course. You never know, you may end up liking it and make a career out of it. My friend enlisted in his 30's when he had trouble getting steady work in the construction field. He just got out after doing 8 years. His medical training in the Army helped him land a job as a supervisor in a medical facility in Colorado. So when you speak to a recruiter, check out what kind of jobs you qualify for and my best advise would be to do one that will translate into a job once back in the civilian world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2014, 09:08 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,081,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaleyclumsy View Post
So I'm a 19 female, I'm married to a vet that's currently going through college and we don't have the means to stay afloat.I have very little work experience and really sucky people skills so I can't find a job. I know how the military can be I was with my husband during his service. But with him being enrolled in school a can't pack him up and take him with me, we already spent 3 years long distance and I don't really want to do that again. But if I was to join, what branch would I be less likely deployed, and more likely a reasonable job. Also would reserves be an option for me and explain in detail how it works and how you are paid? I'm thinking this has become my only option I do know I took the asvab a couple years ago and got above a 70 if that helps.
Your husband spent time in the military, not you so you really have no idea what he went through no matter how much he told you.

Joining now is difficult with budget cuts and more people looking to join.

Why can't you go to school? Why can't you work overnights somewhere?

You don't want to deploy? Sounds like you want the benefits but don't want the sacrifice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
For the love of everything holy, do NOT join the military just because you believe it is a last resort. The military doesn't need people like you, they want people who truly want to serve and will serve wherever they are needed.
Yep, people who feel that it's a last resort typically do not work out well. I have a Soldier like that. Dad gave him a choice while he was working PT at Burger King: find a full time job, go to college or join the military. He chose the military because he thought it would be the easiest option. Now he is in the process of getting kicked out due to being overweight. He's been in for 2.5 years and he's still a PFC (E3) while his peers he went to school with are SPC (E4) and SGT (E5) as his supervisors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
See above. Also bear in mind that the military isn't immune to reductions in force, either.
Very true, in fact, there is a RIF going on now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyramidsurf View Post
That's fine. You don't need any skills to join the military except for a functioning brain.
You haven't met very many Soldiers, have you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foques View Post
Military can break one, and mold a stronger person out of them.
If the person is truly useless, i'm sure they'll be discharged or just drop out on their own.
Problem is, you can't just drop out on your own. It's not like a civilian job where you say, "I quit" and you can go home. You signed that contract and Uncle Sam will sure hold you to it. It's not cheap even getting someone through basic training with housing them, feeding them, paying them, paying the instructors to teach them, medical care, etc... I've read that it costs $50,000-70,000 from the moment a Soldier ships to basic to their first duty station.

Not only is that money wasted, that's a slot wasted taken away from someone who wanted to be there, not someone who felt like they had to be there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
Some people the military makes stronger.

Some people the military will break.
I believe that's true. The military is no different from the rest of life in the sense that you get out what you put into it.

Old 09-24-2014, 09:52 PM

656 posts, read 1,341,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritos56 View Post
In regards to the above quote, I guess the military making or breaking you depends on your personality,background and other factors.
Like anywhere else, the crowd you hang with factors into it, as well. When the Naval Academy had that scandal in the mid-to-late 90s with car theft rings and such, I'd be willing to bet that most who were caught up in it weren't particularly inclined to do those things.

Old 09-25-2014, 12:17 AM

5,234 posts, read 7,985,404 times
The OP hasn't been back since the original post. So hardly a reason to keep discussing this one unless she comes back to the thread.

Old 09-25-2014, 10:58 AM

522 posts, read 721,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post

Problem is, you can't just drop out on your own. It's not like a civilian job where you say, "I quit" and you can go home. You signed that contract and Uncle Sam will sure hold you to it. It's not cheap even getting someone through basic training with housing them, feeding them, paying them, paying the instructors to teach them, medical care, etc... I've read that it costs $50,000-70,000 from the moment a Soldier ships to basic to their first duty station.

Not only is that money wasted, that's a slot wasted taken away from someone who wanted to be there, not someone who felt like they had to be there.
Isn't that what basic is for? to weed off those people? I really don't know, Us wouldn't let me join Military when I was ready for that step.

Old 09-25-2014, 12:08 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,758,083 times
Quote:
Isn't that what basic is for? to weed off those people? I really don't know, Us wouldn't let me join Military when I was ready for that step.
The "weeding" out actually begins in the recruitment process.

Old 09-25-2014, 03:08 PM

1,078 posts, read 1,414,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgelessStranger View Post
Jeez, is that the script for a new National Guard commercial? LOL

LOL, Thanks, Trooper.

Just giving the recruit something to think about. Our set up is Kick @ss over here at the Joint Super Base McGuire-Dix-Lakehurst

Old 09-26-2014, 08:49 AM

3,398 posts, read 6,081,106 times
Quote:
There are no psychological tests and the physical tests are a bare minimum during the recruiting process.

A lot of recruiting is about numbers. If a candidate can check the boxes, they're in. It's probably why we've had so many problems the past few years. You get people who don't want to be there but they're there for a paycheck. They realize that it's not what they envisioned it to be and nor is it what their recruiter told them it would be. They want out and will do anything to get out including failing PT tests, doing drugs, getting overweight, disrespect towards NCO's/Officers, etc.

What they're not told is that if you get out OTH or dishonorable, you lose your benefits. Already discharged a few this year and have one more in the pipe waiting legal review.

These are decisions that can affect the rest of your life.

Old 09-26-2014, 09:53 AM

4 posts, read 20,197 times
Quote:

What they're not told is that if you get out OTH or dishonorable, you lose your benefits. Already discharged a few this year and have one more in the pipe waiting legal review.

These are decisions that can affect the rest of your life.
What are your thoughts on ones wanting to use the military as a tool to improve their life? I am older, and curious, if there was anyone like this? Not speaking from free ride standpoint.

Old 09-26-2014, 11:39 AM

522 posts, read 721,631 times
Quote:
There are no psychological tests and the physical tests are a bare minimum during the recruiting process.

A lot of recruiting is about numbers. If a candidate can check the boxes, they're in. It's probably why we've had so many problems the past few years. You get people who don't want to be there but they're there for a paycheck. They realize that it's not what they envisioned it to be and nor is it what their recruiter told them it would be. They want out and will do anything to get out including failing PT tests, doing drugs, getting overweight, disrespect towards NCO's/Officers, etc.
thank you for clarifying.
I was under impression that one had an opportunity to drop out after the basic, and prior to the enlistment, as well as commanding personnel has an opportunity to kick some off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues