U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2014, 10:38 AM

2,886 posts, read 8,315,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert20170 View Post
Your recruiter would love for you not to be picky and just take anything. Trust me, get exactly what you want and be as picky as you want to be. You'll never again have this much leverage in your military career as you do before you take the oath. I would absolutely suggest you look at something in information technology if you have an inkling of interest in it, and their are available openings. Good luck to you.
That is not how it works anymore. Most recruiters are forced to discharge picky people from DEP. If you are picky and refuse to take jobs or join "open" we'll usually tell you to take a hike and join another branch. We (the Air Force) are in control these days. Supply and demand. More people want to join then we have slots for. We have no room for people who want to join only for a specific job. You are joining the AIR FORCE, you are not joining a specific job. If you want a specific job, go find that job in the civilian world. If you want to be in the AIR FORCE, join the Air Force.

Recruiters actually have ZERO control of who gets what job. There are about 18,000 people in the DEP waiting for jobs right now. Let's say that 1000 of them want to be dental techs. We hire 120 dental techs a year. Do you think everyone is going to get what they want? Hell no. So advice telling those 1000 people to hold out for the job they want is unreasonable and those wishes can't be fullfilled.

If we need 200 people to do pest management, and only 10 want to do it, do you think the Air Force can just be short people, while having 1000 dental hygenists they don't want or need? That's just not how it works anymore.

The employer had control this time. We don't need anyone. We don't need anyone to join. There are hundreds of people waiting to take the place of every "entitled" person who thinks they control the ball and thinks their needs are more important then the needs of the Air Force, the needs of the taxpayers, or the needs of the country.

I know this sounds rude and harsh, but it gets old constantly having people come into your office thinking they can tell you what the Air Force needs, and control the situation, and you have to constantly educate them that they CAN NOT pick their job, because if we let 18,000 people pick their job, we'll have a horrific balance of Airman that can't complete the mission because we don't have the right slots filled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2014, 01:36 PM

8,830 posts, read 13,959,416 times
^^^ Interesting. Sounds like the AF is going Old School. Is anyone trying to match test scores and aptitude with job placement or not?

Old 10-11-2014, 02:45 PM

36 posts, read 152,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
That is not how it works anymore. Most recruiters are forced to discharge picky people from DEP. If you are picky and refuse to take jobs or join "open" we'll usually tell you to take a hike and join another branch. We (the Air Force) are in control these days. Supply and demand. More people want to join then we have slots for. We have no room for people who want to join only for a specific job. You are joining the AIR FORCE, you are not joining a specific job. If you want a specific job, go find that job in the civilian world. If you want to be in the AIR FORCE, join the Air Force.

Recruiters actually have ZERO control of who gets what job. There are about 18,000 people in the DEP waiting for jobs right now. Let's say that 1000 of them want to be dental techs. We hire 120 dental techs a year. Do you think everyone is going to get what they want? Hell no. So advice telling those 1000 people to hold out for the job they want is unreasonable and those wishes can't be fullfilled.

If we need 200 people to do pest management, and only 10 want to do it, do you think the Air Force can just be short people, while having 1000 dental hygenists they don't want or need? That's just not how it works anymore.

The employer had control this time. We don't need anyone. We don't need anyone to join. There are hundreds of people waiting to take the place of every "entitled" person who thinks they control the ball and thinks their needs are more important then the needs of the Air Force, the needs of the taxpayers, or the needs of the country.

I know this sounds rude and harsh, but it gets old constantly having people come into your office thinking they can tell you what the Air Force needs, and control the situation, and you have to constantly educate them that they CAN NOT pick their job, because if we let 18,000 people pick their job, we'll have a horrific balance of Airman that can't complete the mission because we don't have the right slots filled.
Is this only true for enlisted or for officers as well?

Old 10-11-2014, 04:12 PM

10 posts, read 36,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post

I'm getting so many different answers and I'm about to message someone who said her son just went through the process. I appreciate your response and I am thoroughly listening to what everyone has to say. Today I spoke to two people that I know personally that's in the air force. I finally got a hold of them. They told me what everyone else said which is to have a list of careers that I am interested in. I have 11 jobs in consideration. One of the people I spoke to said tat the are waiting for a job and on the DEP. we have the same rcruiter and his has wasn't mad that he was being picky. Sorry for the grammar mistakes. I'm on the phone and it's hard to type on it this way!

Old 11-18-2017, 12:50 PM

1 posts, read 41 times
My son went into bmt promised a job in cyber security came out and was assigned to tech school in aircraft maintenance.
Why?

Old 11-18-2017, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zackman007 View Post
My son went into bmt promised a job in cyber security came out and was assigned to tech school in aircraft maintenance.
Why?
You'll get a better answer on a new thread. Because you opened an old thread I just spend 10 minutes replying to a 3 year old post.

This is only a GUESS because I wan't there.

Your son may have gotten disqualified from cyber security based on security clearances issues, not graduating from basic training on time, or any number of other issues. The only way to know for sure is to ask him. Sometimes the Air Force will offer people other jobs in basic training with a bonus, and your son may have agreed to the switch. You'll have to ask him.

The Air Force, if he had a contract for Cyber Security, could not make the change without him agreeing to it, becoming disqualified from the original job, or not graduating basic on time (so missed technical school start date.

Old Today, 11:22 AM

486 posts, read 144,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zackman007 View Post
Why?

What did it say on his contract? What's written down overrides what is said verbally by recruiters and liaisons 11 times out of 10. In addition to what dmarie123 has said, this is another thing to look at as well.

Old Today, 08:26 PM

Standard AF contracts state you can loose your job if 1. You become disqualified for it for any reason or 2. You don't graduate basic training on time for any reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues