U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2014, 08:54 PM

3 posts, read 9,121 times

Advertisements

We haven't received a letter from our son in a week, which is very unusual for him. We usually get at least two a week. I'm wondering if this is normal when soldiers start Blue Phase of their basic training. There's no reason to believe he would stop writing to us. We aren't embroiled in a drama, and up to this point, his letters have been upbeat except for the usual stuff, like his frustration with some of the guys in his platoon who aren't motivated to be good soldiers and get the whole platoon smoked, and of course his drill sergeants who are on his butt all the time. Before we get to wondering if he's having some sort of trouble (not that we can do a thing about that), I would like to know if it's just a "Phase" so to speak.

Thanks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2014, 09:22 PM

24,131 posts, read 38,871,775 times
I can't say for sure. My basic was too long ago. But there are parts which may be stressful:

Quote:
blue phase schedule:

• U.S. Weapons Training (.50 Caliber M2), (Hand Grenades), (M136 AT-4), (M240B Machine Gun), (M249 Machine Gun)
  • Field Training Exercise 3
  • Tactical Foot March 10KM and 15KM

Those marches can tire you out. Got the above from an Army web Page: Phase 3 - Blue | goarmy.com

Interesting video.

Old 10-18-2014, 09:47 PM

Thanks. I guess that would tire a soldier out. I'll check out the video.

Old 10-18-2014, 11:02 PM

10,391 posts, read 7,472,821 times
Yep he's in the field by the looks of that schedule. When he CAN continue writing he will have some exciting stuff to tell you!

Old 10-20-2014, 08:43 PM

3,192 posts, read 4,234,611 times
During Blue Phase, he just won't that much time/energy to write letters. Depending on his DS's, he may have access to phone use. Blue Phase is where he'll do FTX 3, recovery from FTX 3 and combatives. Recovery is not recovery of his body, it's recovery of Army equipment. Of course the foot marches will still be done in Blue Phase as well as his final PT test.

FTX is being in the field for days with the DS's taking the Soldiers through "lanes" on material they learned throughout the cycle such as MOUT, patrolling, etc... His company could also be on BN and/or BDE CQ in addition to the nightly fire guard. Those tasks cut into sleep time.

The machine gun and grenades should have been done earlier in the cycle.

Old 10-22-2014, 09:09 PM

A long time ago, before cell phones, I used to worry about my husband when, on the rare occasion, he would be away from home longer than I thought he would be. Since he drove a motorcycle at the time, I was worried he was lying in a ditch somewhere unconscious. One night he said to me, "not hearing from me means I'm okay. Getting a call or a visit from the cops means I'm not okay." That made sense so I didn't worry so much. This is different. I don't know what the silence means.

Thanks for the information about what might be keeping him too busy and tired to write home. I guess if something bad happened, like he was sick or injured and wound up in the hospital or he did something really stupid that got him in serious trouble (he's never been in trouble but there's always a first), I would be contacted since I'm listed as his contact person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or