U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 03:20 PM

2,618 posts, read 1,837,535 times

Advertisements

I was proud to be a Marine, but I'm prouder to have been one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2014, 11:40 AM

327 posts, read 527,213 times
I'm extremely modest about my service. Bravo to hat wearing, vanity plate/bumper sticker displaying, war story bragging types.

To answer the thread title, the timing was right for my family. I stopped at 20 in the Army so My wife could be close to home and my son start school and grow up with one set of friends. I retired in 2000 so I missed out on a lot of fun and games, given another chance I'd do the same thing.

Old 10-22-2014, 05:08 PM

1,194 posts, read 1,472,292 times
Served 4 years and while I do on occasion miss the good times I had in the Army, I definitely don't regret leaving when I did especially with the very distinct possibility of a third tour in Afghanistan. I still keep in contact with all the friends I made from my old unit and I'm quite enjoying college life nowadays.

Old 10-22-2014, 05:25 PM

1,305 posts, read 1,879,542 times
No. There were some good times but I honestly hated some of the people I work with. A lot of people are more interested in protecting their own careers than doing the right thing. I've also watched too many incompetent people get put in charge because no one wanted to be a bad guy and hurt their career.

I can stomach the reserves, but the politics of being a Hinge in the Navy was just not for me.

Old 10-22-2014, 08:50 PM

868 posts, read 859,877 times
I don't regret leaving as an enlisted Navy Corpsman to finish my education, but I sometimes wonder how my post-college life would have turned out if I had followed through on my pursuit of a commission in the Air Force Medical Service Corps. I do know I'm very happy I didn't let the AF guy steer me into becoming a launch officer in their missile silos.

Old 10-23-2014, 02:22 PM

4,687 posts, read 3,451,682 times
I did 5yrs active in the Marine Corps and I did regret getting out, but then I look at the path my life took and I wouldn't change a thing. I met my great wife after my time in the service, I was able to finish school and now I have a great job and I live in a great area. When I first finished school, I talked to a Marine OSO to see about a commission, but I was informed that I was too old. Oh well.

There is the flip side of the coin. If I had re-enlisted, who knows where my life would have ended up.

Old 10-26-2014, 09:35 PM

362 posts, read 334,727 times
Default Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
For those of you who did less than 20 years and elected to get out of the military with no retirement pay, do you regret it? Do you miss it?
I most certainly do. My name says Seal but I was in the Army. After college, I joined the National Guard because I specifically wanted to make a career of it as an intelligence officer. The plan was to go active after OCS. However, I am red/green color blind so they would not allow me to do the Federal OCS enlistment option. This meant I had to enroll as a traditional soldier so did BCT at Benning and Chaplain Assistant School at Jackson (I chose that MOS because it was the quickest). After training I i returned to my unit during the subsequent drill and applied for OCS. I was quickly accepted and was in OCS after 2 months when the new cycle started (great timing). I made it through 3 months of OCS drills, and shipped off for the 2 week annual training (OCS Cycle 1) a the regional training facility in Mystic CT with other states, NY, MA, NH, VT, CT, ME. Here is the problem. I broke my rib on the second day of training and had to dis enroll from OCS. They drove me back north which was the longest ride of my life. I went back to my attached unit still w/ my OCS insignia on my BDU's, only to be counseled by our Captain. He gave me the option to stay in the Guard and reapply to OCS in 1.5 years. The problem with that I was a chaplain assistant and had no other job. I could do that, which I didn't want to do...it was also two hours from my house, or go back to AIT which was not an option with a full-time job and other obligations. They gave me the option to drop with an Honorable Discharge immediately for personal reasons an RE-3 code, and no ready reserve.

I just wish this all never happened. All this took place in Y2K and I would most likely be a Major or higher today. The only thing that comforts me is that I dodges various deployments...I don't know if that would have been good or bad. I will never know...I emailed my Captain many years later who said that I should be proud that I made it through the training and that is more than many do. He also said that he was getting ready to ship out to Kosovo and seemed quite depressed about it. He cautioned me to consider what I was missing, as he wasn't all that happy with leaving his family for a 3rd time...This was in 2008.

Old 10-27-2014, 04:30 AM

73 posts, read 111,335 times
I absolutely do regret getting out! I spent six years, six months, and fifteen days as an Air Force Combat Controller. I got out as a Ssgt with two years in grade and a line number for Tech and my master parachutist wings.

The only reason I took my discharge is because I'd met my current wife and she wouldn't marry me if I stayed in. That was almost 43 years ago.

OK, sure, I made tons more money by getting out and I have a better retirement now than I would have had.

If I'd stayed in I'm sure I would have been on the '79 Iranian hostage rescue mission. I trained two of the CCT who were there. I'd have gotten to make a combat jump into Granada and would certainly have been on the Panama invasion because I had 18 different, month long, TDY's there and knew the place thoroughly.

I've never had another job that I woke up each day looking forward to going to work! If I were given a magical way to go back and make that choice again, well sorry Hon but, I'd have a very difficult time deciding.

Old 10-28-2014, 07:34 PM

7,751 posts, read 6,179,597 times
Was enlisted Navy E-5 when forced out before 8 years anniversary due to injury. I wanted to make it 20. I saw Europe and north Africa. I wanted to go Pacific and see that side of the world. However, if I had done this I wouldn't have met my wife.

Old 11-04-2014, 06:50 AM

208 posts, read 151,865 times
I regret joining. Leaving would be a blessing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues