U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2014, 06:08 AM

2,096 posts, read 1,950,992 times

Advertisements

The military was good for me, glad I did it but hell no I was glad to be done and away from it after a 3 year enlistment Army Infantry and 3 years actiive reserve.

I did not go in with any expectation to stay otherwise I would have taken another MOS. I was in the to 10% in all parts on the enterance test (ASFAB or something like that???) Top 3% in General Technical and could have chosen any MOS but I was looking for the "Army" experiance I guess.

After I got out I wanted nothing more to do with anything that requiered "Dicipline" or some one yelling at you, became a surf hippy for a while.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2014, 06:20 PM

302 posts, read 1,318,839 times
Everyday I thank myself that I committed to my plan to get out of the military at my nine year mark. After I left, I went back to school, got a good paying job with excellent benefits that would far outweigh the lifestyle that the military brings, especially in the Navy.

I'm currently in the reserves, and was mobilized this past year. I guess you could say that I got a taste of what could have been, and I felt the same way as I did when I got out initially.

A Chief once asked me if I would re-join active duty if the Navy gave me the option and I said "no" without any hesitation.

Old 11-05-2014, 07:15 AM

326 posts, read 509,610 times
Twenty-three posters (and counting) who were glad they did it, but wouldn't do it again. Hey, that's my motto.

Old 11-05-2014, 07:21 AM

22,729 posts, read 34,308,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vols44 View Post
Twenty-three posters (and counting) who were glad they did it, but wouldn't do it again. Hey, that's my motto.
Your count is off...

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 11-06-2014 at 04:30 PM..

Old 11-06-2014, 04:17 PM

326 posts, read 509,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Your count is off...
Post padding again?

As much as any branch puts it's people through they're fond of preaching teamwork while looking out for themselves first and foremost. My 20 years witnessed too much miscommunication and not enough details to make the assignments completely rewarding. I'll cut this short before I render my own evaluation on Army combat arms officers.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 11-06-2014 at 04:30 PM..

Old 11-06-2014, 06:05 PM

10,492 posts, read 14,104,080 times
Had it not been for the Air Force I would not have an education or my great wife of the last 42 years. I was an E-5 (Staff Sergeant) in 2.5 years and I had a great AF job as an F111 crew chief (1968-72). I left the service after my four year enlistment.

Do I regret getting out? It was a great experience but not one I relish repeating.

Old 06-03-2015, 05:23 AM

181 posts, read 102,894 times
Did 13.5 years Active Duty-Army. While on active duty, I was in Combat Arms and assigned to high deployment type units (82nd Airborne) or sent overseas. It wasn't good for a married/family lifestyle, so I got out and to be very honest, I was REALLY burnt-out by all the deployments and back to back field training with very little "down time" between major events. I got out shortly after Desert Shield/Storm and went into the Army Reserve... Did that for another 15/16 years, in order to get the 8 good years needed for a Reserve pension... This also included another combat tour in beautiful Iraq.

Do "I" regret leaving active duty military BEFORE the 20 year retirement point?? I can honestly say no because I knew that I was very employable in the civilian world. I ended up in a great civilian career and advanced into positions of greater responsibilities. THIS was the best thing I've EVER did for myself!! I retired from that position last December, in my early 50s, after 21 years of service with that agency. I'm now receiving a far superior pension plan that pays far-far more than if I would have retired at my old grade of E-7 or at best, E-9. Plus!!! I don't need to ever work again in my life and still will be able to live a very comfortable lifestyle without tapping into my other investments, which I'm holding in reserves for the next several years... My current pension payments are equal to an O-5 with 21 years of service... Not too bad for an old broken down E-7 tank platoon sergeant.

All my friends that retired in the grades of E-7/E-8 had to go back to work within a couple of months into their retirement since they're monthly pension payments didn't give them the ability to retire in comfort. Yes, we live in a "medium" high cost of living area by choice. My "ideal" of a comfortable retirement isn't trying to find a job on base as a contracted civilian employee... Nothing wrong with that, it's just something "I" wouldn't want to do in retirement.

Plus, in my situation, when I reach the age of 60, which is less than 8 years from now, my Army Reserve monthly retirement payments will start up.

To me, it doesn't matter where your retire from, it's how well you planned in advance your retirement!!

Old 06-03-2015, 09:45 AM

2,703 posts, read 2,511,981 times
I have zero regrets in leaving even though it was an interesting experience. The military didn't offer nearly enough mental challenges for me but I proved to myself that I can do just as well doing non white collar work.

Old 06-03-2015, 10:04 AM

1,793 posts, read 888,725 times
Nope, should have left sooner. Glad I joinged but I didn't need any more than a couple of years.

Old 06-09-2015, 09:45 AM

170 posts, read 109,352 times
I left the Air Force after my first tour and joined the ANG part-time, flying F-101 Voodoos and F-4 Phantoms. Used that spare time to complete my master's degree on the GI bill. Getting my master's got me an early promotion and I decided to stay with the ANG in a full position that popped up later on. Meanwhile the rest of my AF wing went back to Vietnam, where they lost several crews to enemy fire, collision with the ground, and other mishaps. I never thought twice about my decision and was still able to get a full-time retirement through various programs available to the ANG/AFRES.

walessp
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues