U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2017, 11:18 AM

1 posts, read 687 times

Advertisements

I had 6 years in The USAF, I went in after I reached 18 and had no prospects. I was stationed in a bad tiny town, finally became Staff Sargent. I hated being here though I did get to go to Germany and many other places which made me love being in the Military. I felt I missed my family very much, I wasn't married like many other guys my age, my Parents kept saying that was good for me, and it was.

I guess because I lived in Poor Towns my mindset got changed but not challenged, I became increasingly lazy and wanted out, my head was full of ridiculous things like creating a business of my own, and going back to school for Electronics....sure but I am bad at math. I was told by my Grandmother who I listened to allot not to give up and go for retirement, which I truly could have...but again I was lazy and listened to my friends who had already left.

So now two years out I tried finishing my school here in LA, I am from Colorado Springs, CO. I decided to try and beat myself up and go nails to the wall and do something with my life. I was going to move to Portland, OR where my Grandmother is, but just like LA its way too expensive to live.

I felt like I was 18 all over again with no prospects once again. I used all my money foolishly and never listened to my Grandmother who always looked out for me. Really looking back on it now, I have two more months before I will loose my tenure for good, so I am going back so I can retake something different and at least retire when I am 42.....and being out truly was not as nice as being in like I thought. I was not ready to leave, though I thought I was.

I know this is right for me, being out all I do is play games and try ways to meet girls. I have found that girls complicate things for me. I need to be solid first, Military in all its bad and good was that for me. I am not a strong person, and I guess the Military pushed me to exceed which I didn't want to do...but in the real world you either do or fail. Since I would have to do this myself, its not working for me.

I am glad I learned this lesson before I lost everything, so back I go and I am going to be stationed in Austin Texas, now that I can live with!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2017, 11:34 AM

4,666 posts, read 5,258,915 times
Interesting post learned

Don't sweat your 'what you didn't knows', you are on your way to a good place. These detours make us who we are in the end. I think we all have these zig zags

Good luck

Old 06-26-2017, 11:44 AM

23,000 posts, read 35,211,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
I think we all have these zig zags

Good luck
Yep... And it sounds better as "zig zags"...

Old 06-26-2017, 02:46 PM

8,445 posts, read 6,644,663 times
I don't miss it, but when I completed 4 years of active duty in 1970, there were no open billets in the USNR stations near where I lived, which was too bad. I could have used the retirement income and the yearly reserve cruises were a joke. You were treated like excess baggage and really didn't have to lift finger, based on my active duty experience.

Old 06-26-2017, 03:40 PM

3,851 posts, read 1,842,039 times
Nope. I did six years in the Marine Corps. By the end of my enlistment I was married and didn't want to raise a family that had to move every three years. There was no Marine Reserve in Alaska at the time, so I joined the National Guard. I did that for almost 26 years. That turned out to be the best of both worlds. Six years of active duty gave me a lot of retirement points and the Guard time allowed me to continue my military career at home. And I still got a pension out of it.

Old 07-03-2017, 11:52 PM

123 posts, read 51,153 times
I regret a lot maybe because I am at the age I would have been retiring. Time has flown by I am not sure if it would have gone faster or slower if I stayed in. I am glad I used my gi Bill. Sometimes when I miss the navy and it happens when I see friends still in on Facebook some of who are now master chiefs and officers I miss it. But then I remind myself of the lifestyle and how much being underway sucked and was miserable at times on double four to eight watch only 3 hours of sleep a night for three months then i say maybe I needed too go out not sure if I could of handled 20 years. There was also the drinking culture I am not sure where that would have taken me., but I miss my close friends never maid those kind of friends again maybe never will.

Old 07-04-2017, 12:31 AM

251 posts, read 66,159 times
Nope. I did 4 years as an AF officer. My job sucked. I never slept. I was diagnosed with prediabetes and high cholesterol in my 20s.

I've been out for 1.5 years. I live in a big city and have a good job. I no longer have prediabetes or high cholesterol, despite eating whatever I want and not exercising. I'm not under nearly as much stress and could actually sleep now.

I think that if I would have done 20, I probably would have had a heart attack by my 40th birthday.

Old 07-04-2017, 06:15 AM

25,622 posts, read 21,510,681 times
I've wondered what % of my Army enlisted basic training group (or even Officer Basic) group ended up making it a career (like I did).

Probably not very many......

I know a few stories of people who got out very late in their careers (a year or two short of 20). One was an oral surgeon COL (0-6). Another was an E-7 NCO Jevohah Witness....and another LTC (0-5) Army Nurse who wanted out of another deployment to be w/ her children (I think she returned later to get to 20 yrs).

Old 07-04-2017, 10:20 AM

41,310 posts, read 46,188,553 times
Not for the last 50 years or so. Thankfully the VA now provides help from the PTSD and Diabetes earned by being on the Mekong River in 66 - 67. Some of the memories are difficult to process and Agent Orange is the gift that keeps on giving.

Old 07-04-2017, 11:10 PM

17,045 posts, read 10,974,426 times
No. I enlisted to go see the world for four years, and got exactly what I wanted. Made as much rank as I could, came out with a clean record, and was glad I did it, but I never thought of making the military a career.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues