U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2017, 09:51 AM

22,847 posts, read 34,617,791 times

Advertisements

22 famous people who served in the military
Nov. 15, 2016, 9:04 AM

and apparently did not make it to military retirement...

An interesting read.

Famous people who served in the military - Business Insider
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2017, 02:04 PM

3,743 posts, read 1,426,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington Steel View Post
Well like what most of the general public already thinks about the Air Force, it is run like a major corporation and it is the "lesser"of the branches when it comes to being under a strict regime 24/7, so the discipline aspect is basically waking up on time for work, maintaining your finances, attending PT when required, maintaining your physical appearance, etc.....easy stuff and like Chris Rock once said "THAT'S THE STUFF YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO DO!!" lol
Oh yea I have heard the AF is the best branch of miltiary, had I done the AF I would probably still be in. The other branches, living in the field and mass deployments no thanks. i did the army gaurd and that was just a small taste of the military and between that and basic training, no thanks. I will just have to worry about the crony second world economy and hear all the scuttle butt of christmas time lay offs withtout the pension coming in, such is life.

The saddest part is that soildiering skills can be learned and training accomplished even at the marine corp level without the extreme loss of family time, this is done because we are an expidtionary military which I think is the other top tier reason people wanted out bad. People were tired of being deployed away from the wife for exagerated amounts of time.

Of course if we were not expeditionary we would probably only have like a 100,000 person total military force and then draft when WW3 hit.

Old 07-09-2017, 02:06 PM

3,743 posts, read 1,426,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
22 famous people who served in the military
Nov. 15, 2016, 9:04 AM

and apparently did not make it to military retirement...

An interesting read.

Famous people who served in the military - Business Insider
You dont think this is a red herring? I would also be curious to see these guys contracts and if they had speical writers or if they just go the standard "needs of the miltiary" contracts?

Old 07-10-2017, 10:50 AM

2,440 posts, read 3,250,661 times
No. I do, however, wish I'd picked a different career field when joining though. I joined the Air Force hoping to work in the space lift program in either Florida or California. Not knowing any better, I was shuffled into a gig as a cruise missile technician and was posted to Barksdale AFB in Shreveport, Louisiana. The job was incredibly boring, restrictive, and unchallenging (yet required a high ASVAB score) and I hated Shreveport. It got to be just a job, which I didn't particularly care for, to me. I never got the satisfaction of seeing the results of my work, nor did I ever want to. Were I to do it over again I would have gone for linguistics or a network engineering job.

I obtained an Associates degree and attempted to pursue the Bootstrap program but I was turned off by the attitude of some Lieutenants running the ROTC program at a school I visited. My dad, a reserve Chief Master Sergeant was pretty disgusted by them as well. Maybe I should have been more persistent but I think things worked out for the best.

I probably got more out of it that I put in though. I used the GI Bill to get a Bachelor's degree and for a semester of law school. I used Veteran's Preference to get other government jobs and I used the VA when I didn't have health insurance.

Old 07-26-2017, 12:57 PM

88 posts, read 212,608 times
I did 8 years in the Army and got out as an E-5. I left because the reenlistment NCO said if I reenlisted for 4 more years I would get a $16,000 bonus and my first two years of that would keep me right in the 704th MSB 4th Inf in Ft Carson, CO. Now I told him I would love to do it but I wanted away from Ft Carson due to the fact I was going through a nasty divorce and my soon to be ex worked civil service at the hospital on post and was making my life H3ll.
The duty station would never change each time I talked to the Re up NCO and so I got out. (She was certified two kinds of batsh!t crazy!).

Fast forward 10 years and I now have three college degrees, One in Drafting in Design, One in Mech Engineering and my masters in Aviation/Aerospace management and I was 36 and working for a great aerospace company as an engineer. They honored their employees that was in the reserves and such and I thought now with my college degrees I could go back in the reserves and go to OCS and do 12 more years and retire. Nice plan but then my second wife at the time was steadfast against it because I told her my chances were high I would get called to active duty and serve.

So for the better of the family (we had a 6 yr old son at the time) I chose not to pursue it, and honestly I think all the time about how I wished I would've done it.

I have a friend of mine from HS that enlisted in the marines after graduation and just retired with 30 yrs in and a E-9. He is still young enough to start a second career but get his retirement from his service.

Old 07-31-2017, 04:53 AM

24,583 posts, read 20,798,131 times
I left when I was at my peak. I believe in the Peter Principle and have seen a few of my colleagues who stayed on get relieved and forced to retire because of incidents that occurred under their watch. I felt like an athlete who left his sport under his terms rather than being cut for poor performance.

Old 07-31-2017, 05:03 PM

563 posts, read 574,271 times
I don't regret it, it was inevitable.

I was pretty much the highest rank I could be. I'd pretty much been everywhere, seen everything and had all the t-shirts I was going to get and was reaching the point where I was going to spend more time in barracks than deployed.

Most importantly though I was finishing runs and fitness tests with average scores. That's no good and another signature would have had me closer to the back than the middle by the end of my term. No, 45 was old enough and whilst I could have stepped sideways into an office that wasn't for me.

I do regret never having found that fountain of youth though.

Old 07-31-2017, 06:20 PM

3,820 posts, read 2,190,979 times
I had planned to stay in for 20 but after just about 8 years, I was medically retired. When they told me my first question was, "Can I fight it?" They looked at me as if I was nuts but said I could. I was prepared. But, my First Shirt (who also was a friend) looked at me and said, "If I were you, I would take the money and run." (His exact words.) I took his advice. So I retired at the ripe old age of 26 and I got everything I wanted to get-medically bennies, a pension, etc. Nope, don't regret it.

Cat

Old 09-17-2017, 06:54 AM

154 posts, read 99,637 times
I did 8 years active and now going on 3 yrs in the reserves. I regret leaving active but I love my career in law enforcement. My wife wanted a career in teaching and she became a teacher in my home state. I literally only do the reserves stuff to get away sometimes and the medical benefits. When my wife had our kids while in the reserves I must say I enjoy not missing their growth. A lot of my friends who are still active miss a lot of family activities. Plus I made good investments that I know my active buddies wouldn't be able to do at this moment (own 5 houses).

I think what I did was selflessness. Now my wife has good paying career just like me. But yeah deep down I miss it.

Old 09-20-2017, 04:06 AM

11 posts, read 2,892 times
That's a huge preponderance of "no regrets!" I would be one of the rare "wish I had stayed in" people.

Was USAF for four years. I left due to poor working conditions, a commander who made my life miserable, and frustrations with red tape / inefficiency. I immediately doubled my income by going civilian self-employed. It took a few years to realize that due to higher taxes and no benefits, I was financially much better off in the military. Income taxes, self employment taxes, and health insurance just take too big of a bite. We live frugally now and I work extremely long hours, but with a late start I will probably never be able to save enough to retire. That 20 year pension looks pretty awesome now in retrospect. Other commanders would have been better and regardless I could have put up with a lot for 16 more years with an end in sight. Not an uplifting sentiment, but honest truth.

Last edited by ysrebob; 09-20-2017 at 04:37 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues