U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 08:56 PM

6,659 posts, read 5,449,901 times

Advertisements

Poncho, struck a nerve? I was responding to your post where I gathered you were explaining how you were able to live off of your military pension. Based on how much you say you have collected, you have been retired awhile. While I am happy to see it worked for you, it doesn’t work well nowadays. Because, as I said, it’s pennies. It is no longer possible to leave the military at 38-40 and never work again, period, end of story. I left because I realized that was the case and didn’t want to serve Uncle Sam forever. Thirty years in my current career will yield a 6 figure pension.

I’m 39 now. I’d have been eligible to retire in January. $3000-4000 a month for 40 years or so? That’s pennies now and will be scratch then. It wasn’t meant as a “dig”, it’s true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 09:03 PM

6,659 posts, read 5,449,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyramidsurf View Post
It really is.

I work with a couple retirees. I started working on my civilian career after getting out and worked my way up. I make more than the retirees do with their pension, disability, and, medical and I'm two decades younger. It's nice to have, but I figured early on there's easier ways to make a living. My coworker is a retired O-5 and still works. I think he makes about the same amount our boss makes when you add in his pension.
Obviously I agree.

One of my good buddies has been in the Army for 27 years. We talk finances occasionally. Heís an E9. I make double his salary and my pension will make his look like a joke. I donít say that to be a johnson. I say it because itís pathetic that his decades of service will see him with basically vacation money (if his next job gives him vacation).

I was set to ETS just after 9/11 and due to the events, was going to re-up. That same buddy convinced me to leave (my current career was all set to start). I thank him every so often and wish he did the same. He deserves it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues