U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 08:25 PM

5,683 posts, read 7,234,735 times

Advertisements

For those of you who did less than 20 years and elected to get out of the military with no retirement pay, do you regret it? Do you miss it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2014, 09:05 PM

595 posts, read 1,679,984 times
I served 4 years. There are days I do miss it. Now that my husband is close to 20, I realize that I could be within a year or two of retiring myself. But I don't regret the path I took. I've got a career I love and I was able to stay home with my children for their baby and toddler years. That was very important to me and I would not have had that if I had stayed in. I do wish I had done things a little differently right after I got out. Gone to school before I had the kids instead of after...but all in all no regrets...

Old 10-20-2014, 10:42 PM

26 posts, read 27,579 times
I served eight years. I don't regret getting out when I did. I was focused on education and career change. I saw too many changes happening when it came to benefits. I kept the important friendships.

Old 10-20-2014, 10:58 PM

6,699 posts, read 3,452,534 times
Looking back at it now? Not in the slightest.

Thre reasons in the long story short: too much has changed, I'd probably have been longed axed in this politically correct age, and finally, I'd probably have been longed axed because in security, one makes more enemies than friends.

Old 10-20-2014, 11:02 PM

656 posts, read 779,999 times
Four active, four Guard (with an AD period during that time). I'm in a couple minds about it. On the one hand, I'd be less than four years away from retirement if I'd stayed in... on the other, I was a Combat Medic, went through some things I'd not wish on anyone else, and, let's face it... I just plain didn't love the Army.

Old 10-21-2014, 01:12 AM

2,757 posts, read 4,131,501 times
It's a much rougher life than the civilian world. Would I still be married and see my kids every day if I would have stayed in? Also would I still be alive, the job became a lot more dangerous after 2000...

Old 10-21-2014, 01:53 AM

6,699 posts, read 3,452,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
It's a much rougher life than the civilian world. Would I still be married and see my kids every day if I would have stayed in? Also would I still be alive, the job became a lot more dangerous after 2000...
In more ways than one.

It's always been political to some extent, but after 2000, it seemed like more civilians were calling the shots without having the accountability to do so.

Long hypothesis short, when Abu Ghraib occurred, the Full bird Captain I did security under in the Cold War asked me what would I have done in such a situation (given the time period and had I stayed in, I might have found myself in that position). I told him I know very well the rules of war; one does not torture prisoners.

Politics, it seems, from then back to Kennedy and probably before, likes to redefine things so official definitions no longer apply, no longer have the usual protections. But I know that despite what an official may say, I know what is right and what is wrong. If it does come to light and in this modern information world, it will come to light, the people who said do it will be nowhere to be found, held accountable, and the military officer will be held up to the world to be seen, to be hung out to dry.

So what would I have done? I would have refused to follow such orders or incompetently followed such orders and if I was lucky, I would have been relieved and dismissed from the service. At that point in time, I might have been at 19 years of service and I would have been turning my back on retirement.

Harsh choice but in a way, an easy choice. Either be someone who was dismissed or be someone who's name is a footnote as a war criminal. Either way, be without the retirement one has worked so long for.

Old 10-21-2014, 04:57 AM

8,369 posts, read 5,567,892 times
I left the Marines after 9 years and really regretted it so I went to the Air Guard for another 20.

Old 10-21-2014, 06:11 AM

3,295 posts, read 5,232,043 times
Sometimes, but rarely do I regret it.

I am glad I went in but I am glad I got out, otherwise i wouldnt be where I am today, and I am happy with my life!

Old 10-21-2014, 10:59 AM

10,197 posts, read 9,982,882 times
I did 12 years and do not regret getting out at all, and I loved being in the Navy. There are aspects I really miss, but the negatives way outweigh the positive. Looking at the Navy today, I am very glad I got out when I did.

I sometimes wish I would have gotten out earlier, but the best time I had in the Navy was after my first enlistment when I got done with my sea tour.

It is a case of "loved every minute of it, would never did it again".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues