U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 12:39 AM

12 posts, read 43,697 times

Advertisements

which state offers the best benefits to disabled vets... tax... car plate.... etc..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2008, 03:02 AM

1,492 posts, read 6,775,071 times
Florida
Nevada
Arizona

google "Alabama veterans benefits" or "Alaska veterans benefits", etc. You will find a site as each state has a Dept of Veterans affairs.

I moved to Las Vegas because I pay no vehicle registration taxes/fees.
Property taxes are exempt..up to a certain amount.

NC has smiliar things
NH has free drivers license/registration
GA has a free drivers license and probably some other stuff

Good luck on your search!

Old 07-16-2008, 03:45 AM

664 posts, read 2,572,471 times
Thanks for the info

Indiana though does have one really great item: Free secondary education up to 124 credit hours at any state university. All you need is a rating of at least 10% plus a campaign medal.

Indiana also has lower property taxes and discounted vehicle plates.

Old 07-16-2008, 07:09 AM

5,706 posts, read 12,815,737 times
NY state doesn't tax benefits; property tax reduction

Old 07-16-2008, 09:54 PM

299 posts, read 1,013,987 times
Default State Benefits

Here are a couple of sites to check out:

Check this out:
State Benefits (http://www.ak-prepared.com/vetaffairs/state_benefits.htm - broken link)

State Veteran's Benefits Directory
http://www.military.com/benefits/veteran-benefits/state-veterans-benefits-directory

jOE

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert51 View Post
which state offers the best benefits to disabled vets... tax... car plate.... etc..

Old 07-17-2008, 03:36 PM

146 posts, read 391,471 times
Iowa has additional exemptions on property taxes, also a free fishing license for life.... NM benes are pretty good, too.

Old 07-19-2008, 08:05 AM

13,807 posts, read 25,840,602 times
depends on your rating in Texas, but 50% or more will get you $3/year tags and quite a few other benefits (free entrance to state parks and free parking at airports). Texas also doesn't have a state income tax, so of course your compensation wouldn't be taxed.

Old 03-01-2011, 05:33 PM

1 posts, read 19,781 times
Look up each states department of veteran affairs. Not to be confused with the Department of veteran affairs thats run by the federal government (AKA the VA). Each state has their own veterans organization which acts as a veterans org similar to VFW and DAV. but they also offer benefits to veterans with in their state. This is also important since the national guard is run and managed by their states not the federal government, national guard veterans do not qualify for federal VA benefits and medical service unless they have been federally activated under title 10 USC. So each state varies with what they offer veterans. In california, the california department of veteran affairs (CDVA) offers cal vet loans for housing, certain benefits regarding parks access and dmv benefits depending on your disability rating from the VA. They also also tuition waivers for dependants of disabled veterans. That means if you are at least 0% service connected, your kids can attend any community college, any state college and any university in the UC system with their tuition waived. My friend got his bachelors degree that way through his dad who served in the navy. Arizona does not offer this. Neither does new mexico. In fact Arizona and new mexico offer very little compared to California and texas. As far as border states go, texas and california offer the most benefits for veterans. cant speak for other states. Look up each states department of veterans affairs online. Their websites show what they offer veterans and disabled veterans. So for california its cdva, in arizona (arizona department of veteran affairs), in new mexico (new mexico department of veteran affairs.) and so on. Of course for cost of living, tax rates, crime rates, tuition costs, thats a whole other ball game. california is a very expensive state to live in. The government sold out to the unions and we are paying for it. We pay over a billion dollars a year in wellfare. No other state in the US even comes close to 100 million. We pay triple per prisoner compared to Texas. so they keep raising our taxes rather than bugeting the states expenses. But on the other hand, the weather out here is great, and theres a reason why so many ppl come here to visit or live. So its up to your preference. A coworker of mine and fellow veteran has had enough of CA. He is transfering to texas, where they offer better benefits for veterans, no state tax, and much cheaper cost of living. Even though there is less to do out there, and the weather is much hotter, he is content with his choice.

Old 04-25-2013, 07:53 PM

2 posts, read 13,012 times
Personally , I would definitely check out the benefits offered per state. I say this as I was told the South Carolina offered great benefits. I moved here from Oklahoma ( BIG MISTAKE ) as the only benefit I enjoy is the same as anyone else here, much cleaner air and the beauty of the Blue Ridge Mountains ! When I registered my car here they charged me the sales tax on it even though I bought the car in Oklahoma. They made me pay the sales tax because Oklahoma did not. Then I had to pay personal property tax. I DO NOT CONSIDER THIS STATE VETERAN FRIENDLY ! I have thought about moving back to Oklahoma but, I was sick more often than not there. Maybe Texas ? Oklahoma, NO PROPERTY, or SALES TAXES OF ANY KIND. I have many friends there but, personal problems have me hesitating. My home state is California and even though I would love to "go home" I don't hold stock in Ft. Knox.

Old 05-20-2013, 10:32 PM

1,092 posts, read 2,761,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapphire42 View Post
Personally , I would definitely check out the benefits offered per state. I say this as I was told the South Carolina offered great benefits. I moved here from Oklahoma ( BIG MISTAKE ) as the only benefit I enjoy is the same as anyone else here, much cleaner air and the beauty of the Blue Ridge Mountains ! When I registered my car here they charged me the sales tax on it even though I bought the car in Oklahoma. They made me pay the sales tax because Oklahoma did not. Then I had to pay personal property tax. I DO NOT CONSIDER THIS STATE VETERAN FRIENDLY ! I have thought about moving back to Oklahoma but, I was sick more often than not there. Maybe Texas ? Oklahoma, NO PROPERTY, or SALES TAXES OF ANY KIND. I have many friends there but, personal problems have me hesitating. My home state is California and even though I would love to "go home" I don't hold stock in Ft. Knox.
There are parts of CA that are quite reasonable. Add in some generous benefits, and it might make sense to live here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues