Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2014, 04:47 PM

1,302 posts, read 1,577,292 times

Advertisements

Drafted in 1967... Served 25.5 years, 2 so called wars...
Trained in mortars &Infantry, Infantryman in Vietnam, Also worked as a F.O. for the artillery,
Drill Instructor at Ft Lewis and Ft Gordon, Mailman at Ft Gordon,
Communications NCO, Chemical NCO / Training NCO at Ft Hood,

Top Secret Nuclear Security Clearance,
COMSEC at 90% of my duty stations, Controlled, Issued, Inventoried, Destroyed all code books etc.
Controlled Nuclear Keys and codes at ????? Too secret.... I could tell you but I have to kill you.
Signal Corp's for most of my career, Can install/operate/maintain just about any system that X-mits and Rec's in the military inventory, Install/operate all switchboards & LL phone systems in the military,
Assigned to an armor unit in Iraq, Learned how to operate a tank, assemble/disassemble a 50 cal machine gun, Units served with Infantry, Signal, Armor, Artillery, Training Schools, Postal and ??? My memory fails me at my advanced years of old age but the sparks still fly...

Also worked as a 1st Sgt, Sgt Major, S-3 Ops during my tenure at Ft Sill and in Germany.
Learned how to jump out of planes, Repel from buildings and helicopters, Blow up buildings and bunkers etc, Drive tanks and anything with wheels,

Schools included where COMSEC, Nuclear, Chemical, FM/ Security & maintenance, AM/FM Radio maintenance, All LL phones and switchboards, Radio/TT systems, Postal, Power distribution & generators, Explosives, Bus Driver, BNCO, ADNCO, 1st Sgt Course, and others I cannot remember off the top of my head.

After retirement worked as an Car salesman, Service manager, Electrician, Store manager, Warehouse distribution, Manufacture Supervisor and finally a Service representative for the local electrical Co-op. Retired from there about 5 years ago.

Overall I would say the military training prepared me for just about anything short of rocket science, a pilot, or the medical field even though they do have courses for that too...

SO, yes I did use my military training after the military......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2014, 10:15 AM

5,252 posts, read 4,671,325 times
Army, 1965-1971, if I learned anything from my service time it would be that you can do things you ordinarily wouldn't have felt possible, why? Ordered to do things without the luxury of quitting was the main factor in "building the soldier", the Army's first goal relative to their initial training in boot camp. That entire training exercise is aimed at creating a "conditioned response" to whatever you may be ordered to do, over a lifetime that response becomes a self initiated aspect of decision making and the will to follow through with whatever it is that you determine as the best course.

Through my life I've noted a distinct difference in those who served as opposed to those who didn't. It's hard to define with any certainty but overall I'd say it's a quality of their self confidence, a willingness to help others, and the fact that most know the hardship of endurance and what that means when things get rough, when the chips are down you'd be fortunate to find one of these people in your midst, they're do-ers when doing is the difference......

Old 11-21-2014, 03:38 PM

2,616 posts, read 2,397,176 times
My MOS was 0311 (grunt) and as I recall from my DD214 it said that my related civilian occupation was something like "professional director of small arms." When I got out I couldn't find any people with small arms to direct, so I just had to figure it out for myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues