U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2014, 07:42 PM

8,891 posts, read 7,390,523 times

Advertisements

US Navy machinist mate, worked in the engine room of a steam driven ship. Was also the division's DCPO or damage control petty officer. This means I was in charge of inspecting, maintaining, and repairing the emergency lighting and fire fighting equipment.

My job as a machinist mate transferred directly to my current job working in a hospital boiler room. My job also means I'm the first responder for non-medical emergencies like fire. My Navy fire fighting training and experience has helped with my response to small fires at work and home to prevent them from becoming big fire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2014, 04:38 AM

3,327 posts, read 4,810,537 times
Yes, electronics technician Navy..

Have worked in the Telecommunications field since leaving the Navy in 94...

Old 10-29-2014, 04:42 AM

4,244 posts, read 6,219,221 times
Sort of kind of not really.

I was an Interior Communications Tech in the navy. I now work on Govt Telephone systems.

The navy sent me to schools and all but really the only thing that carried over directly was the troublshooting skills I learned. Everything else has changed too much to relate otherwise.

Old 10-29-2014, 05:49 AM

10,450 posts, read 7,543,469 times
The whole ejection seat mechanic thing didn't pan out for me. On the other hand, I was a military instructor and the job included cryogenics (LOX/LIN) so that stuff looks good on a resume.

When I got out of acft maintenance it was because I just wasn't into that career field. I switched to the Civil Engineer Squadron and loved it. Facility maintenance, for some reason, is it for me. So that's where I am in my civilian job but I tend to find work with military organizations.

Being a vet, in and of itself, is a resume booster!

Old 10-29-2014, 08:43 AM

5,106 posts, read 6,094,739 times
As a logistician I say yes, getting the right thing to the right place at the right time has application anywhere.

I have done OK as a civilian.

Old 10-29-2014, 09:28 AM

30,794 posts, read 17,061,189 times
Oh yea! But I planned to make that happen before I ever signed up for the Army....my dad said, make sure whatever you decide, make sure it will equate to civillian skills...

I went in Army Aviation, stayed for 21 years, walked into a GREAT job in........Aviation working as a contractor for the Army..I love this job....and now I help my brothers and sisters who fly Army helicopters be safe and provide parts that meet the Army Critical Safety Item program!

Old 10-29-2014, 09:36 AM

1,922 posts, read 1,829,396 times
I worked in the fabrication branch for the Air Force and worked in the corrosion control shop. I panted everything from ground support equipment to missiles and aircraft. I have had a life long hobby of restoring older cars and love it. Thankfully I don't do that for a living though, but it's made for a great hobby.

Old 10-29-2014, 10:41 AM

515 posts, read 932,041 times
What has helped me has been more indirect.

I was an infantryman in the Marine Corps. Being taught self-discipline, leadership principles, and integrity has enabled me to excel in any job I've held since leaving active duty.

Old 10-29-2014, 04:52 PM

968 posts, read 1,019,709 times
I was a Navy Hospital Corpsman for four years, and worked in both clinical and administrative areas of the hospital. I had a pretty good understanding of how hospitals functioned by the time I left. Since my departure, I've worked in health care organizations for the past 35 years.

I had more than a few enlisted servicemen from all branches tell me they wished their military occupation corresponded more directly to something in the civilian world.

Old 10-30-2014, 08:35 AM

1,424 posts, read 2,164,770 times
I was an aircrewman. Nothing I did there relates to what I do now. Although the discipline and attention to detail is something that I still use.

Maintenance Officer - more or less management of people. Nothing really applicable to the civilian world besides general management skills.

I work in government finance now. Nothing I did in the military can compare to it. I am thankful that I learned how to get the job done and be self disciplined. That's the key to success in the civilian world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or