U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 06:02 AM

1,030 posts, read 1,330,851 times

Advertisements

I remember my uncle telling me he was originally drafted to go to Vietnam and even had a high draft number but because he had flat feet he was let go. At what point did having flat feet not become a disqualifier?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2014, 07:40 AM

3,512 posts, read 10,939,512 times
I've been a recruiter for half a decade and it has never been. I think it has been generations. In Vietnam, people had to walk for months at a time. That is not the case anymore. What would be the point of disqualifying someone with flat feet when it doesn't cause any issues in a modern military?

Someone can still be DQd for flat feet if they need special footwear or if they have issues, but if they function normally, we don't care.

Old 11-06-2014, 08:54 AM

26,530 posts, read 45,239,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceAndLove42 View Post
I remember my uncle telling me he was originally drafted to go to Vietnam and even had a high draft number but because he had flat feet he was let go. At what point did having flat feet not become a disqualifier?
I was drafted in May 1968, before there were draft numbers and I had (still have) flat feet. I was told I just would not go into Infantry...

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 08-28-2017 at 08:35 PM..

Old 11-06-2014, 08:31 PM

722 posts, read 1,057,703 times
I thought I had flat feet, but the doctor wrote "low arches" after my physical

Old 11-07-2014, 09:14 AM

32,493 posts, read 52,882,202 times
I went through MEPS in 1976. At that time, I was told I had flat feet. The Navy did not care.

In 1978 one of my step brothers went to MEPS to get into the Navy. He was told that he had flat feet and he was DQ'ed for it.

It has been my understanding that when recruiting gets tough, they gradually remove things from being disqualifying. When recruiting gets easy, they gradually add things onto the list.

Old 11-07-2014, 10:03 AM

8,202 posts, read 4,693,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceAndLove42 View Post
My husband's feet were so flat that they nearly bowed outward at the soles. I suspect that small bones were broken during his childhood as he told me there were a couple of years where he cried over pain in his feet as a child.

But as soon as he got his college diploma in 1968 he got his letter from Uncle Sam and he passed inspection in spite of his flat feet. So based on those two stories it must have been subjective at that time.

Old 11-07-2014, 10:59 AM

26,530 posts, read 45,239,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
In 1978 one of my step brothers went to MEPS to get into the Navy. He was told that he had flat feet and he was DQ'ed for it.

It has been my understanding that when recruiting gets tough, they gradually remove things from being disqualifying. When recruiting gets easy, they gradually add things onto the list.
Pretty much what I have heard and also seen over the years...

Old 11-07-2014, 11:33 AM

7,355 posts, read 10,204,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green papaya View Post
I thought I had flat feet, but the doctor wrote "low arches" after my physical
Which is another term for "flat feet."

In general, the worse they need soldiers, sailors and airmen, the more likely they are to take you regardless of the state of your insteps. Remember that during Vietnam -- an extremely unpopular war almost nobody wanted to volunteer for -- as soon as your grades in high school dropped low enough they would draft you unless there was something radically wrong medically. Now, when we're caught up in war after war that people feel are good to participate in, the military won't touch you unless you have your diploma and are in perfect physical and mental condition.

Old 11-07-2014, 11:59 AM

37,418 posts, read 46,222,938 times
My FIL had polio as a baby, and as a result has partially clubbed feet, and the Vietnam-era Army still took him, though he was then DQd two months into basic training. Looking at how he moves now, I'm amazed he even trained for two months.

Old 01-03-2017, 10:07 PM

2 posts, read 19,346 times
so does anyone out there know if you were generally discharged because of flat feet? I think it was Vietnam he was drafted for or right after, He's 63 years old now. Can you get health benefits through the VA if you have nothing else?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues