Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 01:14 PM

61,289 posts, read 87,188,930 times

Advertisements

great idea
however
do not do not offer uncle sam a blank sheet to write on, he will
and you will end up at arlington cemetary
RN is my favorite pick
two years RN plus 90 days ocs means 90k a year and a ton of benefits
greatest surgery team training for RN on earth
us army 2nd to none
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2014, 01:17 PM

45,046 posts, read 60,086,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
You'd rather be homeless than in the military yet you're not a quitter? Okay.

To the OP,

Go talk to the recruiters and see what information they have regarding the latest on that previous knee injury. They're the ones that will know the latest (I hope) in terms of what waivers are available. Next step would be the ASVAB to see what you score and what MOSs you qualify for and what's open. Fiscal year started in October so it shouldn't be picked over too bad.

As for being an Officer, a degree is a degree though the STEM degrees do seem to be more in demand. If you can read/write like a professional and make mature decisions, it won't matter what your degree is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyramidsurf View Post
Contact an Officer recruiter.

The Airforce and Navy/Marines have their own Officer entrance exam. This exam is much harder than the ASVAB that enlisted take so you need to study for it. Usually, the recruiter will ask you some preliminary questions like your GPA and major. If you meet the standards, they will schedule you to take the exam. You need to score a competitive score or the Officer recruiter will simply tell you "Thanks, but no thanks" and send you away. They're much more selective and won't even submit your application unless they think you have a chance at selection.

If you want to enlist, it's a much simpler process and any recruiter can help you out.

These two are the best advice you've been given.

Old 11-12-2014, 05:16 PM

9,510 posts, read 16,423,314 times
It's a very personal decision, and I would have recommended it up until a few years ago. I just can't any longer. I find the military of today is being taken advantage of by the Federal Gov't. There is no excuse for these serviceman to be deployed, 4 and 5 times, for a year or more at a time. In all these Wars the Gov't decides we should be involved in. While neglecting life here in the USA. I think its outrageous the US population, has not put its foot down on this issue. Then again the military became to much of a class divide of the US population. Let your son or daughter go while another gets to stay home, because the one at home has a higher income and better job prospects.

I don't recommend military service in this day and age, because I see absolutely no respect for todays servicemen and woman. Lack of appointments for them thru the VA, claims not being processed. PTSD cases at a all time high. Yet these young veterans are not seen promptly, or just given pills rather than someone to talk to. I have never heard of so many suicides by these young veterans as I do now. I was not surprised at all when I heard the VA was under fire for its misdoings. I'm surprised it took this long, and I'm glad disciplinary/criminal charges will be filed.

I just don't see the military as a wise choice any longer and that's a shame. I use to believe everyone should be subject to at least of 2 years of military, or community service in this country. If I ever do feel again that its a good idea for young people to enter the service. It would be because a draft was enacted again, so everyone eligible would be in the same boat. Not just certain people in this so called Volunteer Military..

Still it's up to you, so research all your options, and I hope you make the right choice for yourself.

Best of Luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues