U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-10-2014, 09:46 PM
 
2 posts, read 11,311 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

Hello,

I am currently a senior marketing major at St.Johns University. Ever since junior year of high school I've been interested in joining the military and when I went to talk to a recruiter, he said that I couldn't be accepted because of a recent knee surgery. Now, 4 years later, the idea has come into my head once again. only now, this time I feel like being part of the military (I have no idea what branch) is something that I want for my life. Now the question is, what do I do? Please help.

Thank You,

yagosf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-10-2014, 09:48 PM
 
Location: Middle America
35,550 posts, read 38,420,945 times
Reputation: 48001
Why, specifically, is this something you wanna do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-10-2014, 10:57 PM
 
2 posts, read 11,311 times
Reputation: 10
I feel it's a life experience that I want/have to go through. I'm not sure how to explain it but I just know that I want to. I just don't know how to go about it because I don't want my marketing degree to become a waste.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2014, 03:21 AM
 
207 posts, read 168,759 times
Reputation: 196
It's not something I recommend... your degree wouldn't really help you become anything but a specialist in the military. I don't think you could become an officer, because they aren't looking for marketing degree. Unless you can get a great MOS **for me that's the 35 series**, then I wouldn't even do it, since it's nothing but misery for me.

You have degree. You don't have to do this.

If you want to do this, I recommend 35P, since you will learn a language (a good skill basically). And if I was you, I would do National Guard as a 35P, so you learn your language mainly (and get the heck out). If not, 35M, is an amazing MOS... teaches you how to get information quickly from sources, and make sure you get a language as a 35M, or score really high on the DLAB.

Otherwise, I don't really see how the other MOS can help you as a civilian... 68 series is good, but it's kind of useless for a marketing degree.

25M, I don't know much about this but this **could** help with a marketing degree, but it would only work if you were an artist.

--------

DO THIS FOR YOU. DON'T DO IT FOR THE MILITARY. IT'S YOUR LIFE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2014, 03:25 AM
 
35,121 posts, read 36,909,635 times
Reputation: 61780
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xlexa View Post
It's not something I recommend... your degree wouldn't really help you become anything but a specialist in the military. Unless you can get a great MOS, then I wouldn't even do it, since it's nothing but misery for me.

You have degree. You don't have to do this.
The original poster said they "want" to do this which is completely different than "have" to do this.

Original Poster: You will have to be cleared medically before anything else because of the prior knee surgery and that clearance will depend on the surgery itself.
The only way to find out if you will qualify is to go to a Recruiting Office and speak with them in person then proceed from there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2014, 03:33 AM
 
207 posts, read 168,759 times
Reputation: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
The original poster said they "want" to do this which is completely different than "have" to do this.

Original Poster: You will have to be cleared medically before anything else because of the prior knee surgery and that clearance will depend on the surgery itself.
The only way to find out if you will qualify is to go to a Recruiting Office and speak with them in person then proceed from there.

True.

I have a very negative view about the military (I wouldn't go as an elisted). I just want to people to avoid the mistake I done with my life, since I would give up all my money, GI bill, savings, everything to get out now. But I'm not a quitter, so I have to go through the sentence. I rather be homeless in fact.

The MOS is a big thing. If you do go for it, make sure it's a good MOS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2014, 07:26 AM
 
Location: Florida
3,172 posts, read 4,110,598 times
Reputation: 9308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xlexa View Post
I have a very negative view about the military (I wouldn't go as an elisted). I just want to people to avoid the mistake I done with my life, since I would give up all my money, GI bill, savings, everything to get out now. But I'm not a quitter, so I have to go through the sentence. I rather be homeless in fact.

The MOS is a big thing. If you do go for it, make sure it's a good MOS.
You'd rather be homeless than in the military yet you're not a quitter? Okay.

To the OP,

Go talk to the recruiters and see what information they have regarding the latest on that previous knee injury. They're the ones that will know the latest (I hope) in terms of what waivers are available. Next step would be the ASVAB to see what you score and what MOSs you qualify for and what's open. Fiscal year started in October so it shouldn't be picked over too bad.

As for being an Officer, a degree is a degree though the STEM degrees do seem to be more in demand. If you can read/write like a professional and make mature decisions, it won't matter what your degree is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2014, 10:39 AM
 
1,371 posts, read 2,087,353 times
Reputation: 1374
Contact an Officer recruiter.

The Airforce and Navy/Marines have their own Officer entrance exam. This exam is much harder than the ASVAB that enlisted take so you need to study for it. Usually, the recruiter will ask you some preliminary questions like your GPA and major. If you meet the standards, they will schedule you to take the exam. You need to score a competitive score or the Officer recruiter will simply tell you "Thanks, but no thanks" and send you away. They're much more selective and won't even submit your application unless they think you have a chance at selection.

If you want to enlist, it's a much simpler process and any recruiter can help you out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2014, 01:12 PM
 
9,207 posts, read 15,365,954 times
Reputation: 16726
People get commissiojed with all kinds of degrees, including marketing. Most officers work in a field that doesn't have anything to do with their college major. IF this is something you are interested in, speak to officer recruiters from all branches of the military.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2014, 01:13 PM
 
9,207 posts, read 15,365,954 times
Reputation: 16726
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xlexa View Post
True.

I have a very negative view about the military (I wouldn't go as an elisted). I just want to people to avoid the mistake I done with my life, since I would give up all my money, GI bill, savings, everything to get out now. But I'm not a quitter, so I have to go through the sentence. I rather be homeless in fact.

The MOS is a big thing. If you do go for it, make sure it's a good MOS.
Is there any chance that your sniveling and whining will stop before you ETS?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top