U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2014, 12:36 PM

722 posts, read 835,160 times

Advertisements

is it still the same during recruit training for a small recruit to receive the same portion size meal as a large recruit? even though they must do the same physical training, small guys are already hungry a couple hours after each meal, the big guys must be practically starving since they dont give them more food for being a larger person? average guy around 5 ft 8" 140 lbs would get the same amount of food a extra big & tall recruit 6 ft 3" 250 lbs

a small recruit around would get the same portion of a extra large recruit some times twice the size.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2014, 05:15 PM

9,345 posts, read 15,786,024 times
And does an old Korean lady still yell at you if you try to take two starches?

Old 11-17-2014, 07:57 PM

1,405 posts, read 2,148,824 times
Yes. You don't get extra based on size. I lost 50 lbs in two months when I went to Navy OCS.

Old 11-18-2014, 04:08 AM

207 posts, read 173,269 times
MRE are all the same. Thanks God. I couldn't imagine the military feeding people differently based on size...

Defac are set up like a buffet... at least in the military.

Old 11-18-2014, 04:21 AM

1,913 posts, read 1,809,183 times
They give everyone plenty of food. I'm pretty sure there's not too many people 250 pounds in basic, because even at 6'3" you're BMI is obese. I remember all my fellow recruits being thin, and contrary to movies like Stripes it's not a fat camp. I gained 15 pounds at 5'8" 150 going in as I came out at 165.

Trust me, if this is your biggest worry going in, you're in a for a shock. By the time you've graduated you'll have wondered what possessed you to ask such a question. LOL

Old 11-18-2014, 04:29 AM

207 posts, read 173,269 times
lol

There's so much more to worry about than "food". Basic training was the easy part. Looking back it was hard though, but it's easier than dealing with all the politics. At least you agreed to basic.

The hardest part is that you lose control *sometimes*, your at the whims of the military. You get force to do things you don't like doing, and you don't do well, but you smile and say yes, sergeant. Needs of the army. I would do basic a thousand times again if I could, since after that, your at the whims of your unit, ait, fort, whatever.... but you must persevere through everything... till you ETS.

Old 11-18-2014, 10:32 AM

29,722 posts, read 47,483,706 times
As I recall; you stand in formation for a long time outside of the chow hall. Then you run in single-file into the chow hall and wait in line. From the time you finally have food in your tray, until you are required to be running back outside, is around 5 minutes. Within that 5 minutes, you need to find a seat, get something to drink, and eat.

As the recruits are running out, most of their 'food' gets dumped in a trash can. Because they did not have enough time to eat it.

When my eldest son was at Basic Training, he called me once and asked me how he could figure out a method to get more food in his mouth. I told him, that as they are in the hot-meal line, waiting for food to get onto their tray. Look around, see what other buffets are in the room with no waiting lines. Even if it is a soup kettle, or fruit, or slices of pie, go there load-up with food, sit and eat. 3 bowls of soup, or 6 pieces of pie, that you can actually swallow, is more food in your belly, as compared to tossing your food in the trash can. He told me later that by leaving the hot-meal line, it doubled how much time he had for actual eating.

Old 11-18-2014, 10:46 AM

722 posts, read 835,160 times
another tip to get more needed nourishment is stop by the self serve salad bar and put a heaping serving of potato salad on your tray to get those much needed carbs to get you through the day

a couple of small dinner buns isnt enough

Old 11-18-2014, 11:35 AM

6,044 posts, read 3,634,911 times
Times change. When I was in basic there were no buffets. No hot-meal line. No salad bars either.

One single line, food was put on your tray, you moved on, sat down and ate whatever it was, moved out.

Old 11-18-2014, 11:56 AM

9,345 posts, read 15,786,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
Times change. When I was in basic there were no buffets. No hot-meal line. No salad bars either.

One single line, food was put on your tray, you moved on, sat down and ate whatever it was, moved out.

No kidding. And the old Korean lady would chop your hand off if you even thought about taking more than one piece of pie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or