U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2014, 08:06 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,758,908 times

Advertisements

I think people like Patton and McArthur are needed at times. They themselves measured themselves by results. Patton certainly got them in combat role and McArthur was certainly great in his role in Japan after the war. That's really all that matter to them. Neither to their credit unlike most people then never got caught up in hate over coming vision of what needed to be done. Given a mission they saw that has their jobs to do with best results. Great individuals are always controversial really.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2014, 09:14 AM
Status: "1st day of summer feels like fall" (set 4 days ago)

5,477 posts, read 3,208,719 times
Doug did the best with the cards dealt him in the Philippines you must remember he was retired from the army hired by the Philippines to train command their troops before hostilities ... he was ordered to leave the Philippines by FDR.

Old 12-27-2014, 12:20 PM

2,342 posts, read 2,902,958 times
I watched movies of both of these men and they were both fighters like pit bulls.

But after a lot of wisy-washy politics became involved by both president,
they were both ( Patton and McArthur ) treated like Chihuahuas.

Both men got into trouble for not following orders.

Patton fought under Franklin D. Roosevelt

McArthur fought under Harry S. Truman

I liked both movies.

Parts of their movies can be seen on You-Tube.

Old 12-27-2014, 02:16 PM

5,175 posts, read 3,603,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpus7 View Post
I watched movies of both of these men and they were both fighters like pit bulls.

But after a lot of wisy-washy politics became involved by both president,
they were both ( Patton and McArthur ) treated like Chihuahuas.

Both men got into trouble for not following orders.

Patton fought under Franklin D. Roosevelt

McArthur fought under Harry S. Truman

I liked both movies.

Parts of their movies can be seen on You-Tube.

Both generals fought under Woodrow Wilson in WW1 as well. Patton was the father of tank warfare and MacArthur organized the famous (to me cause my DAD SERVED IN IT) RAINBOW DIVISION.

Old 12-27-2014, 08:22 PM
Status: "1st day of summer feels like fall" (set 4 days ago)

5,477 posts, read 3,208,719 times
Field Marshall MacArthur
C&C of the Philippines Armed Forces ...
1936-1941?

Old 12-27-2014, 08:54 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,247,731 times
I believe that MacArthur was a great general. There were times in the pacific when he ordered his forces to bypass islands with Japanese on them because it would be too costly in men to take those islands. He also stated in his book 'MacArthur Reminiscence' that he was against the invasion of Iwo Jima and Okinawa because they were too well defended and the casualties would be too high. Of course MacArthur was very sensitive about his image and how he would be viewed in history and he had been known to lie sometimes if it bettered his image. But MacArthur didn't have any true respect from his men. His style was old time and he was a lordly type person. He was brave and that goes against what some claimed since he had a nickname 'dugout Doug' which was uncalled for. He was a perfect soldier and very intelligent. The American people liked him and were proud of him.

As far a Patton is concerned he was the only general that saw the mistake that we made by siding with the Soviets. But he saw the mistake too late. If he would have been wiser he would have seen it before the war. He was an outspoken man who wasn't worried about what people thought and he took a lot of flak for his views but he was right. I don't have any particular feelings for him because I generally don't like the men who fought against Germany in WW2. I am an American by birth but I have a right to those feelings and I know that I am right. Also I don't believe in the saying that 'your country right or wrong'. When my country is wrong I have every right to say so.

Old 12-28-2014, 06:30 AM

2,867 posts, read 2,977,938 times
Have read much over the years about both generals. Had a family friend that served in ETO during WWII that stated that although Patton was a tough leader, he was VERY good. Spoke to a lot of vets while I was employed working with vets. I suggest you pick up some more dated books about each general and WWI, WWII and Korea before you make a judgment. Especially one based on someone else's views/opinions if that is the case.

Old 12-28-2014, 06:40 AM

2,342 posts, read 2,902,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerman View Post

I don't have any particular feelings for him ( Patton ) because I generally don't like the men who fought against Germany in WW2. I am an American by birth but I have a right to those feelings and I know that I am right.
Why would you say that generally you don't
like the men who fought against Germany in WW2 ?

Would you have felt better if Hitler had taken over,
and ruled the world ?

Old 01-01-2015, 06:38 PM

32,532 posts, read 30,578,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbdowndemocrats View Post
Mac was never forgiven by some for dispersing WW1 bonus soldiers during the Depression but he was never one to hide in a bunker...
"Dispersing"? You mean when they attacked the marchers to evict them from their camps? My grandfather, a WWI U.S. Army vet who was gassed in France, took part in the Bonus March on Washington, D.C. and had his head bashed in. Lest his patriotism be questioned he spent the next 25 years volunteering as a civilian ordnance disposal expert disarming bombs and handling unstable explosives. He was the guy Uncle Sam called when no one else could do the job.

"Dispersing". That's an exceptionally polite word for a very violent act against men who had served their country.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 01-01-2015 at 07:04 PM..

Old 01-01-2015, 08:37 PM

1,166 posts, read 966,883 times
Both were great generals.

Very sad how Patton died though. He deserved better than that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or