Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2014, 05:12 AM

1,030 posts, read 1,578,920 times

Advertisements

These are two generals that are quite controversial, from what I have heard MacArthur was all about using nukes against China during the Korean War which is why he was dismissed and Patton treated his troops very badly, beating them and constantly treating them as if they were trash.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2014, 05:49 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,177,911 times
Doug fell apart after Dec. 7th and stayed in his hotel room rather than ordering an air attack on the Japanese in Taiwan. He did not have supplies moved to Battan despite that was where he wanted to hold out against the Japanese. He should have been retired after escaping from the PI.

Old 12-24-2014, 06:43 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,281,885 times
I don't even know where to begin, so I won't. A few minutes on Google will explain why you shouldn't listen to whoever you hear this stuff from.

Old 12-24-2014, 07:11 AM

7,480 posts, read 6,260,559 times
Greatest generals of modern time.

Old 12-25-2014, 10:06 AM

29,514 posts, read 22,653,459 times
General Patton, a true legend, a great general, leads aggressively from the front.

Old 12-25-2014, 10:35 AM

12,387 posts, read 8,152,322 times
After reading a biography on MacArthur and reading about his conduct in WWI he went way up in my book. Patton as seen in the biopic was always there. In any case a military man's legacy can be made in a single incident as many do not survive to see another.

Old 12-25-2014, 05:34 PM

5,756 posts, read 3,998,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceAndLove42 View Post
These are two generals that are quite controversial, from what I have heard MacArthur was all about using nukes against China during the Korean War which is why he was dismissed and Patton treated his troops very badly, beating them and constantly treating them as if they were trash.
Patton was a hard azz but led from the front have you researched the men you ridicule ?
Gregory Peck despised Ole Doug before he portrayed him in film .
A boyhood friend father rolled with Patton and was damned proud of that he said he would follow him into hell!
So quit listining to comrade teacher and think for yourself!

Old 12-25-2014, 05:42 PM

8,484 posts, read 6,891,592 times
Both fascinating figures from American military history. Patton had inherited wealth. As a junior officer he had the cash to own and maintain polo ponies at a time when most newly minted officers were just getting by. During maneuvers just prior to the US getting involved in WW2 he had his own private aircraft available to monitor the progress of his troops. Despite his reputation as a tough hard charging commander in real life Patton had a high pitched squeaky voice that sounded decidedly unmilitary.

MacArthur's Mom rented a room in a hotel overlooking West Point so she could monitor her son's progress through his cadet years. As Army Chief of Staff in the 30's MacArthur kept his half Scottish half Filipina mistress in a Washington DC apartment available for visits. He was deadly afraid his mother would find out and kept the mistress under tight wraps. Even though he did make some visits to the troops in the war zone in the Southwest Pacific his troops often referred to his as Dugout Doug.

Old 12-26-2014, 02:23 PM

5,756 posts, read 3,998,245 times
Both George & Doug proved themselves under fire in World War 1,Patton finished 5th in the Decathlon 1912 Olympic Games,killed a number of Poncho Villa's men in a fair gunfight while in Mexico with Black Jack Pershing.Mac was never forgiven by some for dispersing WW1 bonus soldiers during the Depression but he was never one to hide in a bunker...
Two great movie stars played them I suggest you watch them both...

Old 12-26-2014, 04:20 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,316,296 times
it is my understanding that both men post war were significantly responsible for the successful transition and management of occupations.

When I was there, Germans loved GEN Patton even yet. When he fought, he fought. When he won, he treated them with respect and brought them into part of the governance seeking to bridge gaps..

Understand that Gen MacA did a lot to transition the Japanese occupation etc. Heard he had an understanding of the Japanese? oriental? mindset which was helpful.

Just what I have been told but how you keep the peace shows as much as how you fight a war.

P.S. I never warmed up to GEN MacA for one reason or another. The lack of preparation and leaving the Phillipines probablly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues