U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2014, 09:48 PM

7 posts, read 4,582 times

Advertisements

A lot of experienced people on here so I thought I would ask..
I'm prior service enlisted USAF with a degree in Aerospace Engineering and computer science. I initially wanted to return to become a USAF pilot but having spoken to a recruiter, OTS USAF slots are being reduced and zero flight slots for 2015. I could wait until something opens in later years but at that point I will be "too old".
The USAF does have Developmental Engineers but having spoken to a few of them, they don't do much of engineering at all. The civilian contractors do.
A lot of my Army enlisted friends tell me that I am crazy to consider the Army but I want to fly, regardless of branch. I just want to make that attempt.
Has anyone been a USAF engineer or Army Pilot? Any reservist Army pilots? Hoping to keep my job.
I am wondering if an Army officer does much flying.

With best regards,
Christian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2014, 10:01 PM

22,644 posts, read 33,996,515 times
The vast majority of U.S. Army pilots are Warrant Officers, the vast majority fly helicopters. You want to fly that badly? My wife and I are Private Pilots...

You need to talk to some/many recruiters and see what they can offer.

RESERVES: - added 13 Apr 2013

National Guard:

Old 12-27-2014, 10:18 PM

Thank you for the comprehensive links!!!!!
I definitely want to fly. It's been my dream to be a military aviator but flying jets is a "no go" now. I wouldn't mind helicopters at all. Seems like a dream come true if they let me do it.

I might look into Warrant Officer then.

Old 12-28-2014, 07:27 AM

772 posts, read 895,287 times
I did the WOFT program back in 1969. I'm sure things have changed quite a bit since then.

Can't link this but google:
WOFT (RA and USAR) Enlistment Program Procedures

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hehe9wYrRbc

Old 12-29-2014, 10:05 AM

2,750 posts, read 4,089,942 times
One of the posters on here mentions the Marines quite a bit, as a lot of their officer slots are geared toward aviation which is something you wouldn't normally expect.

Old 12-29-2014, 11:18 AM

1,079 posts, read 881,502 times
Army National Guard, Chief Warrant Officer.

Slots open from time to time and you'll love it, Some of your mechanics do double duty as your Crew Team.

Old 12-29-2014, 03:30 PM

385 posts, read 801,074 times
Go warrant. Google USAREC Warrant Officer Recruiting. Next decision is active/guard/reserve. They each have their positives/negatives/separate but equal hoops to go through to get selected. Google some of the "Army Aviation Forums" and you will find specific threads concerning this. Remember that 0% of those that never apply get selected...

And depending on age, you need to watch cut offs (if older than 25, look at the age prereqs around the age of 30). They have been adjusting those over the last several years as the ranks have tightened up.

Another member of the W.O.L.F (currently sucking down RLO time).

Old 12-30-2014, 10:54 PM

Thank you all for your service and advice you really lucky guys. Marines are great but looks like Army WO is the way to go if I want to fly a lot from my research. Definitely will start contacting people.

Old 01-01-2015, 11:35 PM

So many of my enlisted Army friends are telling me to stay away from the Army WOFT. Basicially, if I don't make it, I have to serve as enlisted for a number of years.. Has anyone been an Aviation Army Officer?

Old 01-02-2015, 08:07 AM

22,644 posts, read 33,996,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewlngedangel View Post
So many of my enlisted Army friends are telling me to stay away from the Army WOFT. Basicially, if I don't make it, I have to serve as enlisted for a number of years.. Has anyone been an Aviation Army Officer?
If you qualify for the Army Warrant Officer Flight Training (WOFT) program, then you should pass. I don't know what the failure rate is. Yes you probably may incur a time requirement.

Did your "enlisted Army friends" tell you that everyone who enters in the United States Military incurs a MINIMUM eight-year service obligation. It is called the Military Service Obligation (MSO)

Specifically:

Quote:
It is DoD policy under 10 U.S.C. (reference (b)) that:

4.1. Every person, on initial entry into a Military Service, shall serve a total of 8
years, to be fulfilled, in accordance with this Instruction.

4.2. The MSO for any person whose initial entry into a Military Service is on or
after June 1, 1984, shall be for a period of 8 years from the date of enlistment,
appointment, or, when authorized by law, induction.
Here is the actual directive: http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/c...df/130425p.pdf

As an example, you might enlist for four years, when you finish that you would typically then have a four year inactive reserve obligation...

You might also glance through these:
U.S. Army Recruiting Command's Warrant Officer Recruiting Information Site

Flight Warrant Officers | goarmy.com

Here is a little hint. No one knows everything about all the services. No one knows everything about the U.S. Army. I served 22 years continuous active duty in the U.S, Army and still have friends in the service, but, I do not know it all...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues