Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2015, 07:24 AM

408 posts, read 722,827 times

Advertisements

I've read a lot about military downsizing because of the budget cuts. From what I can see it seems to affect mainly officers. Can enlisted soldiers be downsized as well? If yes do they still get GI bill benefits if they are downsized?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2015, 07:49 AM

12,386 posts, read 8,149,420 times
Generally the reenlistment requirement are made tougher and the GI is let go at the end of his fixed term enlistment

Old 01-20-2015, 08:22 AM

498 posts, read 977,786 times
Downsizing doesn't necessarily mean that people are being fired. It just means that more people are being barred from reenlistment and we're taking in fewer new soldiers each year. It doesn't really affect most military members on the individual level. As for your other question, downsizing does not affect anyone's GI bill benefits.

Old 01-20-2015, 06:56 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,278,346 times
Yes, enlisted can and are being downsized.

Old 01-20-2015, 07:30 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,990,305 times
Military personnel also gets "downsized" based on technological changes and shifts in priorities. Most often, these "downsizing" comes about because of an end to a conflict where bodies are no longer just needed so they are reduced. Budget cuts do occur, but they are far from the main reason we see Force Reductions.

Old 01-20-2015, 10:08 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,082,072 times
Yes, enlisted Soldiers can be downsized as well. There is eSerb-enhanced selective early retirement boards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
Generally the reenlistment requirement are made tougher and the GI is let go at the end of his fixed term enlistment
This is another method. Denial of reenlistment can be suggested at the platoon and company level. Typically, the CSM will go with what the PSG and 1SG recommend. As an officer, I have never been asked for an opinion on if a Soldier should be allowed to reenlist or not and I've never offered an opinion, either.

There is also up or out. You have so many years to make the next rank, if you don't, you're discharged.

My experience over the past 2-3 years has seen that Soldiers are more likely to have the book thrown at them now. It used to be that a lot of height/weight failures were overlooked but not anymore. It seems like it's a contest between commanders to see who can cut costs for the government the most.

Old 01-20-2015, 11:26 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
Absolutely. Reenlistment is not a given, time in rate (the up-and-out mentioned above) can be an issue, etc.

Old 01-21-2015, 12:08 PM

37,462 posts, read 61,388,499 times
During the Clinton Administration there was 'down-sizing'. Enlistedmen were being offered cash incentives to walk away.

However most force reduction methods are like those already discussed here. Less open billet for recruiters to fill, and less re-enlistments.

Old 01-21-2015, 12:14 PM

9,130 posts, read 20,009,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjd1 View Post
I've read a lot about military downsizing because of the budget cuts. From what I can see it seems to affect mainly officers. Can enlisted soldiers be downsized as well? If yes do they still get GI bill benefits if they are downsized?
Yes there has been a lot of downsizing. Both with not signing people to reenlist and some reductions in force.

GI Bill benefits is dependent on the particular benefit and it's eligibility criteria. Generally a RIF would not bar someone from some benefits, but it can be dependent on how long they did serve, type of service, etc etc... too many criteria for a cut and dry answer.

Old 01-22-2015, 07:51 AM

626 posts, read 1,240,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
During the Clinton Administration there was 'down-sizing'. Enlistedmen were being offered cash incentives to walk away.

However most force reduction methods are like those already discussed here. Less open billet for recruiters to fill, and less re-enlistments.
I remember that.
Worked with a few people that had taken ($25,000??) the incentive and gotten out.
There was a co-worker of mine that had taken a "reduced" retirement with 15 years of active duty...receiving something like 45% for 15, as opposed to 50% with 20 years.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues