Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are people in the military really that old fashioned?
Yes 10 37.04%
No 17 62.96%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2015, 11:31 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,874,211 times

Advertisements

All are reflective of their parents or up bringing.

Old 02-01-2015, 01:24 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,522,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
All? No, that is not true. Ever heard of the draft?

Old 02-01-2015, 01:27 PM

1,738 posts, read 2,994,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
All? No, that is not true. Ever heard of the draft?

What does the draft have to do with someone's political views?

Old 02-01-2015, 01:37 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,522,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyramidsurf View Post

What does the draft have to do with someone's political views?
From post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
I disagreed...

You were pretty much selected at random. It was not a conscience decision to join...

Old 02-02-2015, 11:51 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,645,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
It has been my experience during my 15 years of recruiting for the Navy that conservative families are more likely to have children that want to serve and who's parents allow them or encourage them to serve. Of course that isn't the case for everyone but it was generally a much easier interview when you were sitting in the living room of a conservative family.

Liberal families I heard a lot of "my son/daughter is better than that", "my son/daughter has options and doesn't need the military", etc.
How did you know if the parents were "liberal" or conservative?" If "liberals" have no interest in military service, why would they even talk to a recruiter?

For the record, I am a veteran and also a liberal. My wife still serves and is a liberal. We have a son and I would have no problem with him serving, if he chooses that path.

I do believe that recruiting is much easier in "conservative" families. Of course it was easier to recruit those kids. They likely bought into the Toby Keith jingoism. "Murica," and all of that.

I will teach my son that there are just as many cons to the military as there are pros. One can serve their country and their community in other ways. Fighting nonsense wars in s***holes like Iraq for no reason won't make him a "better" citizen than others his age who didn't serve.

I am a big believer in service, but there are many ways to serve your country and your community.

It's not all black or white.

Old 02-03-2015, 09:57 AM

1,078 posts, read 1,407,735 times
OP,
Like (1SG) First Sergeant Poncho said, Warriors do their jobs, pull their weight, and work their shifts.

Too much politics and being a Soldier makes for bad beer. It will always be about the Soldier's to your left and the Soldier's to your right.

That will be all. Carry on..
Knight

Old 02-03-2015, 02:17 PM

Location: Central Texas. Wait, I mean South Texas. Actually, both Central and South Texas
317 posts, read 570,185 times
Most people that I served with joined for economic reasons, not because they were conservative or wanted to uphold conservative beliefs or be a Patriot. I would venture a guess that most people I served with were not conservative, but I didn't know for sure because we didn't talk about our political views much. We just did our jobs.

Old 02-04-2015, 04:50 AM

2,842 posts, read 2,315,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
For the most part, yes -- people in the military are conservative. Conservatives are more likely to join, and then once in the service and surrounded by likeminded individuals it tends to increase. Even liberals in the military (and I consider myself one) are probably fairly conservative by civilian standards.
This. ^^^

I consider myself a liberal in general, but by most civilian standards I probably would be considered more conservative. I suspect that was true of a lot of the guys on my team. Although, over the 8 years I served I honestly can't remember ever having a single conversation about politics.

Old 02-04-2015, 01:53 PM

15,440 posts, read 21,232,026 times
In the 1960s I worked alongside two New York pimps. I seriously doubt they would have been considered political conservatives had we even known what that meant.

Even during the Vietnam era, the military was like any other place in America and life views varied greatly. Most of the time though we were too busy doing our jobs. The ignorance and political biases mostly came when we went off base.

Old 02-07-2015, 11:08 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,161,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knox Harrington View Post
How did you know if the parents were "liberal" or conservative?" If "liberals" have no interest in military service, why would they even talk to a recruiter?

For the record, I am a veteran and also a liberal. My wife still serves and is a liberal. We have a son and I would have no problem with him serving, if he chooses that path.

I do believe that recruiting is much easier in "conservative" families. Of course it was easier to recruit those kids. They likely bought into the Toby Keith jingoism. "Murica," and all of that.

I will teach my son that there are just as many cons to the military as there are pros. One can serve their country and their community in other ways. Fighting nonsense wars in s***holes like Iraq for no reason won't make him a "better" citizen than others his age who didn't serve.

I am a big believer in service, but there are many ways to serve your country and your community.

It's not all black or white.
That's how I knew they were "liberal"...they shared a similar view. Serving in some "nonesense war in s'holes like Iraq for no reason" requires more service and sacrifice then running for the local city council my friend. It is liberals who don't see the difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues