U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2017, 10:39 AM

526 posts, read 201,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Nothing like trash talking about the Marine Corps. I spent six years in the Corps and was honorably discharged. The Marine Corps provided me with a foundation on which to build a successful military career. I never felt that the Marine Corps wanted stupid people. There is no place in any branch for stupid people. The Marine Corps wants disciplined and motivated people. Not all people are a good fit for the Corps. Maybe you're one of those. I consider it an honor to have been a Marine and one thing I won't ever do is trash talk the Marine Corps.

That aside, I've swapped war stories about boot camp with a lot of Air Force and Air Guard guys and none had any stories that compared to my experience in Marine Corps boot camp.

What Erik said; could not agree more. As a former Marine and someone who currently works for the Marine Corps, I see (in great abundance) very smart and driven active duty, reserve and civilian personnel who are dedicated to their work and who are held to very high standards. There are of course the 10% or whatever number you want to use that are turds, but that IMO is present in just about every organization.

Old 03-24-2017, 04:24 PM

3,385 posts, read 1,927,148 times
I went through BMT in the early '80s (during peace time). My TI told us what made our basic different from other branches was that we marched around with books while the other branches marched around with weapons.

Cat

Old 03-24-2017, 09:34 PM

2,754 posts, read 1,288,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post
I went through BMT in the early '80s (during peace time). My TI told us what made our basic different from other branches was that we marched around with books while the other branches marched around with weapons.

Cat
How do you do close order drill with books? When you messed up, did your TI make you hold your books straight out, with arms fully extended? How much did your books weigh compared to an M-14?

Old 03-25-2017, 01:54 PM

1,935 posts, read 1,056,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baxendale View Post
When I went through Marine Corps boot camp in 1970 I recall one exercise when we learned how to administer the choke hold. We paired up and choked each other out until unconsciousness. It was quite the sight to see when they came to, snot running out of their noses and legs shaking uncontrollably. I didn't know the other branches of the service did the same thing.
Army Basic in 1966 taught us a choke hold like that. Though we didn't use it to produce unconsciousness it was right on the edge. At least no flopping around with snot in any of the classes I was in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues