U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 02-04-2015, 06:34 AM
 
408 posts, read 495,557 times
Reputation: 271

Advertisements

I know it ain't the Marines or even the Army but I've heard people describe Air Force BMT as being a sort of summer camp. That the Air Force drill instructors can't curse and have to walk on egg shells around recruits in order to avoid being disciplined. Also BEAST is known to not be that hard.

So what's the deal with Air Force BMT?

 
Old 02-04-2015, 07:00 AM
 
Location: Elysium
5,801 posts, read 3,084,977 times
Reputation: 4034
No service's drill instructors are still putting a recruit in a tree and having the others stone him as happened to WWII Marines. Basic is just that in my opinion, the first step, but then I was a soldier and not a Marine
 
Old 02-04-2015, 07:19 AM
 
Location: New Mexico U.S.A.
24,126 posts, read 38,859,608 times
Reputation: 28082
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjd1 View Post
I know it ain't the Marines or even the Army but I've heard people describe Air Force BMT as being a sort of summer camp. That the Air Force drill instructors can't curse and have to walk on egg shells around recruits in order to avoid being disciplined. Also BEAST is known to not be that hard.

So what's the deal with Air Force BMT?
The deal? I do not know, I was not in the Air Force. Here's one of 26 videos, videos by the Air Force:



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbep...JgNFlhfEsNnG21
 
Old 02-04-2015, 12:16 PM
 
Location: Central Maine
2,868 posts, read 2,842,536 times
Reputation: 3976
Is Air Force boot camp too easy?

It was when I went through back in the mid-70s. We went for 6 weeks and didn't have any of that Airbase defense stuff. We saw a rifle for a one-day familiarization on the rifle range. No self-defense at all. The only thing that was really difficult was that we had the old wooden, WWII barracks with the fan in the ceiling and NO A/C, in July and August.
 
Old 02-04-2015, 12:21 PM
 
408 posts, read 495,557 times
Reputation: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by DauntlessDan View Post
Is Air Force boot camp too easy?

It was when I went through back in the mid-70s. We went for 6 weeks and didn't have any of that Airbase defense stuff. We saw a rifle for a one-day familiarization on the rifle range. No self-defense at all. The only thing that was really difficult was that we had the old wooden, WWII barracks with the fan in the ceiling and NO A/C, in July and August.
Well I think now you have to qualify with a M16A2 to finish BMT, although somebody can correct me if I'm wrong. They also teach self defense although nothing like the Marines.

Did you have anything like BEAST when you were there? Was it difficult?
 
Old 02-04-2015, 12:32 PM
 
Location: TX and NM on the border of the Great Southwest.
11,767 posts, read 15,788,877 times
Reputation: 22398
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjd1 View Post
So what's the deal with Air Force BMT?
I have no clue what it is like now but I would rather shovel wet manure at a cattle yard than do it again.

USAF 1968-1972
BMT at Amarillo AFB
 
Old 02-04-2015, 12:50 PM
 
Location: Fort Gordon, GA
498 posts, read 756,246 times
Reputation: 1205
Basic training is pretty much the same across all services. There's differences that focus on each branch, but by and large it's all the same thing. It's just a course intended to teach you the military lifestyle and the basics of how to function in a new environment.

People act like it's a huge competition about who has the hardest time in basic training, but honestly the whole argument is nonsense.
 
Old 02-05-2015, 04:43 AM
 
Location: Central Maine
2,868 posts, read 2,842,536 times
Reputation: 3976
Did you have anything like BEAST when you were there? Was it difficult?

No, no BEAST whatever that is. Just an obstacle course and familiarization with the M-16 was all that we got there. Had PT and military drill. But still, nothing like it is now. It was difficult at the time but I was fresh out of high school.
 
Old 02-05-2015, 05:44 AM
 
5,535 posts, read 4,378,162 times
Reputation: 10827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjd1 View Post
I know it ain't the Marines or even the Army but I've heard people describe Air Force BMT as being a sort of summer camp. That the Air Force drill instructors can't curse and have to walk on egg shells around recruits in order to avoid being disciplined. Also BEAST is known to not be that hard.

So what's the deal with Air Force BMT?
Well they have been going through a few years of MTIs being sent to jail for rape , assault, etc. maybe why they are walking on eggshells?

I went through in the 80s. Your mind plays tricks on you years later and nothing seems as bad now as it was then, so best to experience it yourself. So when I say it was easy, who knows!
 
Old 02-06-2015, 05:40 PM
 
Location: Phoenix
2,617 posts, read 1,988,237 times
Reputation: 2409
Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrels View Post
Basic training is pretty much the same across all services. There's differences that focus on each branch, but by and large it's all the same thing. It's just a course intended to teach you the military lifestyle and the basics of how to function in a new environment.

People act like it's a huge competition about who has the hardest time in basic training, but honestly the whole argument is nonsense.
When I went through Marine Corps boot camp in 1970 I recall one exercise when we learned how to administer the choke hold. We paired up and choked each other out until unconsciousness. It was quite the sight to see when they came to, snot running out of their noses and legs shaking uncontrollably. I didn't know the other branches of the service did the same thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top