Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2015, 04:47 PM

250 posts, read 1,114,857 times

Advertisements

I've been considering joining the army before it's too late, but I have some concerns. First, I have a wife and a 2 y/o daughter, how will military life effect them. Will I make enough to support them? Although I'm still of eligible age, is 34 too old without previous military experience? I currently own and run my own business but am getting tired m complacency and regret for not serving my country when I was younger. Also, I'm not sure I have too much to offer the army. I'm in decent shape (Run 25-35 miles a week), mechanically inclined, a hard worker, and a self starter... but I don't have a college degree, I'm old (by military standards) and I have family.

Is this doable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2015, 06:24 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,500,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inderocker View Post
I've been considering joining the army before it's too late, but I have some concerns.
First, I have a wife and a 2 y/o daughter, how will military life effect them. That depends on a lot of factors. How do you think she will do while you are seperated?

Will I make enough to support them? I don't know... Your base pay will start at $1,546.80 if you start as an E-1. Being married you will get a housing allowance/or housing depending on where you are stationed. Some other allowences.

Also, I'm not sure I have too much to offer the army I'm in decent shape (Run 25-35 miles a week), Go see a recruiter... Also, look over their site.

Is this doable? Yes.

Old 02-04-2015, 07:39 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,186,761 times
Crazy enough to eek out a retirement at age 54.

As for the family, I'm working around Army folks now and you best believe they have families. And it works if she wants it to work. Is she or is she not on board with the whole idea?

Maturity is on your side. See if there are any programs that will give you E4 out of basic. Then be sure to keep all your requirements up to date. When you're at the year mark to get promoted, make sure all your ducks are in a row! You don't want them to say "well we could promote you but you don't have all your xyz completed".

Not sure why you're saying Army but there are other branches, you know! I do recommend active duty but in the Guard and Reserves you'll see people staying until they're 60. Crazy, I know. I had to get out before then!

Old 02-04-2015, 10:25 PM

29,414 posts, read 22,296,279 times
Wanting to join at 34 ain't crazy at all.

I tried to join active duty army at 32 years of age, passed my physicals at MEPS and only thing I had to do was sign on the dotted line, but ended up not signing and went to reserves instead.

Few years ago, around 2006-2009, there were quite a bit of older people joining the Army due to the economy and the way the Army had raised the max enlistment age to 42 years of age (since brought back down to 34 years of age).

As long as you're fit and eager, shouldn't be a problem at all.

Make sure you want to join for the right reasons, and as mentioned above, that you sort out your family and how this will affect them.

When I tried to sign up at 32, it was mainly for patriotic reasons and to challenge myself. I would have given up a decent paying job, but it would have been worth it for me.

Some people will always have that regret of not signing up to join the military. Since you're 34, best to get in touch with a recruiter soon since you could be nearing the cut off age (have to be in basic training before turning 35 or something like that).

Old 02-05-2015, 09:56 AM

18 posts, read 44,364 times
I hope you like being treated like an 8 year old. Seriously it gets old. Paying for 17-20 year olds mistakes will get old. It will strain your family life and you will do a lot of work for basically pennies. It is certainly doable, but realize what your getting yourself into. The military wasn't what it was ten years ago. Most everybody that was worth a damn (in my opinion) got out or is getting out. My fiancée who was in the military as well, says all the time that if she saw action on her second deployment like she did on her first that her newer generation of soldiers would of gotten her killed.

Old 02-05-2015, 10:17 AM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,252 posts, read 4,267,368 times
You should be OK with people 10 to 15 years your junior telling you what to do and when to do it. I don't know if I could have done it at that age.

Old 02-05-2015, 12:13 PM

722 posts, read 1,318,059 times
Yes, your crazy

especially if there is a chance you will end up in a combat zone, if I had a wife & kid the last place I would want to be is serving in combat overseas

being a US Fighting man is best for younger single men without dependents, because if something happens to you it will have a big effect on your wife & kids

I always thought it was silly seeing young men joining some elite fighting unit and getting married before going to war

when your a US Fighting man your country comes first, having a wife and kid will not make you a good soldier, you will be worrying about them too much to do your job and that could mean getting killed in combat

Old 02-05-2015, 08:03 PM

11,157 posts, read 13,919,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green papaya View Post
Yes, your crazy

especially if there is a chance you will end up in a combat zone, if I had a wife & kid the last place I would want to be is serving in combat overseas

being a US Fighting man is best for younger single men without dependents, because if something happens to you it will have a big effect on your wife & kids

I always thought it was silly seeing young men joining some elite fighting unit and getting married before going to war

when your a US Fighting man your country comes first, having a wife and kid will not make you a good soldier, you will be worrying about them too much to do your job and that could mean getting killed in combat
And yet...so many do it with no problem at all!

OP, it will be an adjustment for your wife. Sometimes things in the military simply cannot be explained, and this can be a challenge for those who are new to it. After a while you get used to it. Your wife will too.

Right now the Army is down sizing. At 34 you're probably pretty close to the maximum enlistment age. The thing about down sizing is the services get to be a little picky about who they'll take. If you need an age waiver, chances are they're going to pass on you and opt for someone else. So if this is something you are seriously considering, you need to get yourself down to the recruiter's office and get his perspective.

Old 02-05-2015, 09:31 PM

29,414 posts, read 22,296,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green papaya View Post
Yes, your crazy

There are many non combat jobs that don't require one to seek and destroy the enemy

As such, even if you're deploying to a combat zone, you won't be going outside the wire to fight the enemy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues