Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2015, 04:26 PM

19 posts, read 21,694 times

Advertisements

My friend, Richard, had retired from the Navy. He was active in several humanitarian organizations in the county and was always ready to offer an assist to anybody in need. He seemed the picture of health for a man of his age. Then, about 6 months ago, he started having trouble breathing and would cough when he got winded.

Rich went to the VA and they told him he had lung cancer from asbestos exposure. I asked him, "How they heck do you get exposed to asbestos on a boat out in the middle of the ocean?"

He said that Navy ships were full of the stuff - around the boilers, around the steam pipes and even the gun emplacements. He said it was considered the perfect material because it was cheap and it wouldn't burn or blow up. Rich went downhill amazingly fast and within a few weeks he was in the hospital on a ventilator.

Rich passed away last month and we still can't quite get over it - so healthy and robust for so long and then struggling for a breath of air in so short a time. I had never heard of the asbestos problem in the military before so I looked it up on the web.

USS Navy Ships | Mesothelioma and Asbestos Exposure

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2015, 05:25 PM

18 posts, read 44,543 times
I was on a ship in 2004 and asbestosis is still all over the pipes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues