U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 02-08-2015, 04:45 PM
 
5 posts, read 7,368 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

Hello, would some tell me if the navy (reserves) will help or pay your rent while you are in boot camp? I know if you're active they will not seeing that you probably won't be coming back home anyway. I want to know will it be different for the reserves. Thanks.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-09-2015, 10:13 AM
 
Location: Forests of Maine
27,745 posts, read 43,581,122 times
Reputation: 14642
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbursey07 View Post
Hello, would some tell me if the navy (reserves) will help or pay your rent while you are in boot camp? I know if you're active they will not seeing that you probably won't be coming back home anyway. I want to know will it be different for the reserves. Thanks.
When you go to Navy bootcamp; if you are already married, then the Navy might pay you BAH beginning the day that you first report to bootcamp. [But the money might not show up in your bank account until after bootcamp]. If you are single the Navy will not be paying you BAH at that point.

If you are on Active Duty and married, then the Navy will pay you BAH all year-round [unless you move your wife into on-base housing, assuming the base where you are home-ported has enough on-base housing].

If you are on Active Duty and single, then it gets more complicated.



If you are a part-timer in the Reserves, then you generally train one weekend every month, and 2 weeks every year. So that is 2 days worth of pay per month, and 2 weeks worth of pay once a year.

In the Reserves, it is not very much pay. But it is not a full-time job either, so you can not expect full-time pay for only doing 2 days a month of work.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2015, 11:12 PM
 
Location: The land of milk and honey...Tucson, AZ
302 posts, read 1,325,252 times
Reputation: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbursey07 View Post
Hello, would some tell me if the navy (reserves) will help or pay your rent while you are in boot camp? I know if you're active they will not seeing that you probably won't be coming back home anyway. I want to know will it be different for the reserves. Thanks.
That's a really good question. Technically you're in the reserves and going for "training" and depending on the type of orders that they would fall under i.e., ADT or AT will determine whether or not you receive BAH. If you do receive BAH, it will be based on where you currently live.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2015, 11:23 AM
 
8,695 posts, read 13,602,802 times
Reputation: 15295
They are providing you housing, so why would they pay you for additional housing that you are not at?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2015, 03:46 PM
 
1,303 posts, read 1,844,378 times
Reputation: 1263
You technically rate it as a reservist. If you have a mortgage then definitely tell your recruiter. They might tell you to break your lease.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-17-2015, 08:56 PM
 
Location: Florida
3,283 posts, read 1,587,502 times
Reputation: 5610
When I joined the reserves a very, very long time ago reserve boot camp was only 2 weeks. The pay checks were quarterly mailed from the 3rd naval district.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2015, 08:44 AM
 
5 posts, read 7,368 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
They are providing you housing, so why would they pay you for additional housing that you are not at?

Yeah I know I will be staying there, but I'm asking is it different for the reserves...when I go to boot camp and come back I basically won't have a place to live nor a job because I would be gone for at least 3months..so I guess I was,hoping that they would at least pay me housing while i am active duty in boot camp. Also I'm thinking about doing FULLTIME reserves.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2015, 09:17 AM
 
Location: Forests of Maine
27,745 posts, read 43,581,122 times
Reputation: 14642
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbursey07 View Post
Yeah I know I will be staying there, but I'm asking is it different for the reserves...when I go to boot camp and come back I basically won't have a place to live nor a job because I would be gone for at least 3months..so I guess I was,hoping that they would at least pay me housing while i am active duty in boot camp. ...
In bootcamp you live in the barracks / BEQ.

In A school and C schools you live in the BEQ.

Your housing is provided so there is no need for any further discussion about housing.

You would be paid full-time base-pay during that period of time. Since your not at-sea you would not get sea-pay, your on-base and eating in the galley so you would not get ComRats pay.

Once you return home, you are on your own, with the exception of one weekend/month and two weeks/year. Part-time pay for part-time employment.

You will still need a full-time job somewhere.

Our youngest son, when he was in highschool, got very excited about joining the National Guard as a reservist. He thought the pay was going to be enough to support him. We had to walk him through the thought process a few times, before he understood what part-time means.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2015, 12:39 PM
 
5 posts, read 7,368 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
In bootcamp you live in the barracks / BEQ.

In A school and C schools you live in the BEQ.

Your housing is provided so there is no need for any further discussion about housing.

You would be paid full-time base-pay during that period of time. Since your not at-sea you would not get sea-pay, your on-base and eating in the galley so you would not get ComRats pay.

Once you return home, you are on your own, with the exception of one weekend/month and two weeks/year. Part-time pay for part-time employment.

You will still need a full-time job somewhere.

Our youngest son, when he was in highschool, got very excited about joining the National Guard as a reservist. He thought the pay was going to be enough to support him. We had to walk him through the thought process a few times, before he understood what part-time means.
Yeah I understand all of this and I talked to a recruiter and was told that they will pay me half of bah and also im not doing,part time in the reserves im doing full-time. There is a such thing is a full time reservist.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-25-2015, 12:41 AM
 
Location: The land of milk and honey...Tucson, AZ
302 posts, read 1,325,252 times
Reputation: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbursey07 View Post
Yeah I understand all of this and I talked to a recruiter and was told that they will pay me half of bah and also im not doing,part time in the reserves im doing full-time. There is a such thing is a full time reservist.
When you say full time reserves, you're talking FTS right? It's about the same thing as active duty except you're at the NOSC supporting/training reservists.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top