Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Have you served or fought in any of these? (Multiple Choice)
World War II (1939-1945) 5 2.51%
Korean War (1950-53) 7 3.52%
Vietnam War (1960-1975) 57 28.64%
Bay of Pigs Invasion (1961) 3 1.51%
Grenada Intervention (1983) 12 6.03%
Panama Invasion (1989) 11 5.53%
Persian Gulf War (1990-1991) 34 17.09%
Bosnia and Herzegovina Intervention (1995-96) 12 6.03%
Iraq Invasion (2003-) 31 15.58%
Military Service (No Engagement) 62 31.16%
Military Service (Unusual Engagement) 31 15.58%
Afghanistan 2001 - "Operation Enduring Freedom" (added110224) 4 2.01%
U.S. Army 5 2.51%
U.S. Air Force 2 1.01%
U.S. Navy 4 2.01%
U.S. Marine Corps 1 0.50%
U.S. Coast Guard 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 199. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-14-2008, 01:12 AM

1,744 posts, read 7,259,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by williboy View Post
Proudly served in the US Navy. No Engagements unless you count a brawl at The Black Angus Bar in San Juan, Puerto Rico between sailors from USS Mahan DDG-42 and sailors from the British Destroyer, HMS Nubian.

Did you guys win?
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2008, 07:25 AM

1,065 posts, read 3,868,660 times
I really don't have a clue. I got smacked in the mouth with a beer bottle and got out and was busy trying to decide if I needed oral surgery or not. Turned out that I wasn't hurt as bad as I thought. I think it was pretty much a tie with a lot of guys getting in trouble from both ships. Those Brits are pretty tough though. We went through training at Gitmo with those guys and got to be good friends with a bunch of them.

Old 02-14-2008, 02:31 PM

110 posts, read 292,669 times
Thumbs up UncleBatz - Photo

UncleBatz - here's the photo I mentioned in an earler post. I hesitate to send it b/c it sounds like bragging and I am not into that. Anyway, hope you enjoy it and thanks for your posssitive comments. Lou
Attached Thumbnails
Have you served in the US Military?-salute011.jpg  

Old 02-14-2008, 04:02 PM

4,834 posts, read 6,121,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loujr View Post
UncleBatz - here's the photo I mentioned in an earler post. I hesitate to send it b/c it sounds like bragging and I am not into that. Anyway, hope you enjoy it and thanks for your posssitive comments. Lou
Lou:

Bragging? I think not!

Pride in your Son? You betcha!

I'll bet he was just as proud as you were. That must have been a powerfull, emotionally charged moment.

Thanks for sharing Lou.

Old 02-16-2008, 02:35 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,656,986 times
I don't talk too much about my military service, my wife doesn't know hardly anything about it and sometimes I think it's best that way, let me take a little bit about my family history, doing the genealogy and family I have found that almost every generation has been involved in some kind of conflict are other, from the French and Indian War, the Revolutionary war, the war of 1812, the Civil War, of which my great great grandfather was in the Confederacy, 7th Virginia infantry, Co. D,Kempers Brigade, from April of 1861 until the end of the war, my grandfather was in World War I, he received three purple hearts and the French Croix de Guerre, with gilded star, my father was in World War II, he was in the Seabees, he was at Tarawa,and Kwajalein in the Pacific, I did two tours of duty in Vietnam, I am a former Navy SEAL, I was in Nam from early 1964 to 1966 can't say any more than that, I've been reading this thread and read some of the Vietnam vets posts. One question I have the Vietnam vets out there, how many of you have been to the Wall? I have never been there and I used to live less than 15 miles from it, it's something I can't explain just now and I know a lot of you know exactly what I'm talking about, it's still too emotional, there are a few names on there that I know personally, a couple of lifelong buddies, and Lou I can understand your frustration, I've experienced it firsthand also, but we're survivors and will continue to survive.

Old 02-17-2008, 04:08 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,829,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post

One question I have the Vietnam vets out there, how many of you have been to the Wall? I have never been there and I used to live less than 15 miles from it, it's something I can't explain just now and I know a lot of you know exactly what I'm talking about, it's still too emotional, there are a few names on there that I know personally, a couple of lifelong buddies...
I have never been to the Wall, have no interest in ever going, and have absolutely no emotional attachment to it. I was lucky and made it back alive, they did not. I knew many of them and grew up with some of them, but they are dead and buried and I am not. End of story.

Old 02-17-2008, 08:52 AM

110 posts, read 292,669 times
I've never been there eather and for the same reason ptsum stated so well. It' not only that I'll know a few names, it's the enormity of the whole monument and the futility of that damn war. I didn't do that much and don't want to make more of my service than there was. I don't dwell on the war but when I do think of it I mostly feel bad that so many of the guys from our generation never got the chances I had. This can be said though for wars for any generation so I guess my feelings are typical. Lou

Old 02-17-2008, 09:00 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,532,525 times
Didn't serve in Viet Nam but I've been to The Wall a couple of times. I also had the honor of serving as a volunter guide when the Moving Wall came through my town. What a moving experience for all of us that volunteered or got to see it...

Old 02-17-2008, 09:13 AM

4,834 posts, read 6,121,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
I don't talk too much about my military service, my wife doesn't know hardly anything about it and sometimes I think it's best that way, let me take a little bit about my family history, doing the genealogy and family I have found that almost every generation has been involved in some kind of conflict are other, from the French and Indian War, the Revolutionary war, the war of 1812, the Civil War, of which my great great grandfather was in the Confederacy, 7th Virginia infantry, Co. D,Kempers Brigade, from April of 1861 until the end of the war, my grandfather was in World War I, he received three purple hearts and the French Croix de Guerre, with gilded star, my father was in World War II, he was in the Seabees, he was at Tarawa,and Kwajalein in the Pacific, I did two tours of duty in Vietnam, I am a former Navy SEAL, I was in Nam from early 1964 to 1966 can't say any more than that, I've been reading this thread and read some of the Vietnam vets posts. One question I have the Vietnam vets out there, how many of you have been to the Wall? I have never been there and I used to live less than 15 miles from it, it's something I can't explain just now and I know a lot of you know exactly what I'm talking about, it's still too emotional, there are a few names on there that I know personally, a couple of lifelong buddies, and Lou I can understand your frustration, I've experienced it firsthand also, but we're survivors and will continue to survive.
Sounds like you and your family have more than paid your dues. Like you I cannot say much, or even want to, about my service. The term "silent" service doesn't apply just to the submariners as many of us chose to serve in the shadows. And YES, I have been to the wall many times. The first time it was beyond unbearable and I swore I would not return, but I did, even though we don't live anywhere near D.C. I would suggest that every Vet, regardless of whether you served in Nam or elsewhere...go to the wall. the only frustration I feel is not being able to freely talk about my service but, in some regards, it is a good thing. My very best friend in this world and I talk long distance occasionally and reminisce about the places we have been and when it gets to where we start asking whether or not we were right...we change the subject. My Wife , too, knows only when I served...and my name, rank and serial number.

Again, I urge all of you to go to the wall...Viet Nam Vets will appreciate that.

Old 02-17-2008, 10:47 AM

630 posts, read 1,874,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by williboy View Post
Proudly served in the US Navy. No Engagements unless you count a brawl at The Black Angus Bar in San Juan, Puerto Rico between sailors from USS Mahan DDG-42 and sailors from the British Destroyer, HMS Nubian.
Engagements against our allies usually don't qaulify for campaign ribbons!LOLI served long enough to learn port from starboard,met Neptunus Rex,joined him and his cohorts,went from boy to man in process;low pay,long hours,poor working conditions,no GI benefits...who cares,friends you will have for a lifetime,as well as experiences many civvies wish they had,Veterans are the respectful silent backbone of this fat,happy land.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues