Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Have you served or fought in any of these? (Multiple Choice)
World War II (1939-1945) 5 2.51%
Korean War (1950-53) 7 3.52%
Vietnam War (1960-1975) 57 28.64%
Bay of Pigs Invasion (1961) 3 1.51%
Grenada Intervention (1983) 12 6.03%
Panama Invasion (1989) 11 5.53%
Persian Gulf War (1990-1991) 34 17.09%
Bosnia and Herzegovina Intervention (1995-96) 12 6.03%
Iraq Invasion (2003-) 31 15.58%
Military Service (No Engagement) 62 31.16%
Military Service (Unusual Engagement) 31 15.58%
Afghanistan 2001 - "Operation Enduring Freedom" (added110224) 4 2.01%
U.S. Army 5 2.51%
U.S. Air Force 2 1.01%
U.S. Navy 4 2.01%
U.S. Marine Corps 1 0.50%
U.S. Coast Guard 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 199. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 10:53 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,069,843 times

Advertisements

Thanks for sharing, ptsum. It would be great if you considered voting in the poll.

I know a few of the members were hoping for a veterans forum and perhaps the poll numbers may be an inducement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
I don't talk too much about my military service, my wife doesn't know hardly anything about it and sometimes I think it's best that way, let me take a little bit about my family history, doing the genealogy and family I have found that almost every generation has been involved in some kind of conflict are other, from the French and Indian War, the Revolutionary war, the war of 1812, the Civil War, of which my great great grandfather was in the Confederacy, 7th Virginia infantry, Co. D,Kempers Brigade, from April of 1861 until the end of the war, my grandfather was in World War I, he received three purple hearts and the French Croix de Guerre, with gilded star, my father was in World War II, he was in the Seabees, he was at Tarawa,and Kwajalein in the Pacific, I did two tours of duty in Vietnam, I am a former Navy SEAL, I was in Nam from early 1964 to 1966 can't say any more than that, I've been reading this thread and read some of the Vietnam vets posts. One question I have the Vietnam vets out there, how many of you have been to the Wall? I have never been there and I used to live less than 15 miles from it, it's something I can't explain just now and I know a lot of you know exactly what I'm talking about, it's still too emotional, there are a few names on there that I know personally, a couple of lifelong buddies, and Lou I can understand your frustration, I've experienced it firsthand also, but we're survivors and will continue to survive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2008, 03:14 PM

4,834 posts, read 6,108,770 times
I agree with ontheroad.

Everyone who posts should vote and everyone who votes should post.

One voter, however, voted in every single conflict and non conflict thus negating all his votes and perhaps making light of the contributions made by American Veterans...but if you voted please do post and vice versa so we can all share in what you have to say about your military service to America.

In order for this poll to be accurate and meaningful I urge you all to vote.

Old 02-17-2008, 03:19 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,069,843 times
Well, we can urge, but not prompt I reckon.

It is interesting who has done the poll: quite a few members who have never posted anything at all, and I am so pleased they did see the thread.

And poor Mr. Every War must have misunderstood the poll, and unfortunately, while I can change numbers in polls, it doesn't seem I can change or alter the names.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleBatz View Post
I agree with ontheroad.

Everyone who posts should vote and everyone who votes should post.

One voter, however, voted in every single conflict and non conflict thus negating all his votes and perhaps making light of the contributions made by American Veterans...but if you voted please do post and vice versa so we can all share in what you have to say about your military service to America.

In order for this poll to be accurate and meaningful I urge you all to vote.

Old 02-17-2008, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Well, we can urge, but not prompt I reckon.

It is interesting who has done the poll: quite a few members who have never posted anything at all, and I am so pleased they did see the thread.

And poor Mr. Every War must have misunderstood the poll, and unfortunately, while I can change numbers in polls, it doesn't seem I can change or alter the names.
No harm no foul I guess...we all misunderstand something at one time or another. This is a great poll and I cannot wait until it closes so we can all see the results, not that I want to wish the time away of course.

Old 02-18-2008, 12:57 PM

10,603 posts, read 11,630,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleBatz View Post
Sounds like you and your family have more than paid your dues. Like you I cannot say much, or even want to, about my service. The term "silent" service doesn't apply just to the submariners as many of us chose to serve in the shadows. And YES, I have been to the wall many times. The first time it was beyond unbearable and I swore I would not return, but I did, even though we don't live anywhere near D.C. I would suggest that every Vet, regardless of whether you served in Nam or elsewhere...go to the wall. the only frustration I feel is not being able to freely talk about my service but, in some regards, it is a good thing. My very best friend in this world and I talk long distance occasionally and reminisce about the places we have been and when it gets to where we start asking whether or not we were right...we change the subject. My Wife , too, knows only when I served...and my name, rank and serial number.

Again, I urge all of you to go to the wall...Viet Nam Vets will appreciate that.
Appreciate the kind comments UncleBatz,One day I'll make it to the Wall,But in the meantime I go to Arlington National Cemetery To visit my grandfather and great-grandfather,I have been told it's unusual to have a grandfather and great-grandfather buried at Arlington national Cemetery.It's funny,When my grandfather was buried there, he was probably the first Native American buried there,And that was in 1964,My great-grandfather's buried there because of the presidential citation he got in the Spanish-American war in Cuba,I have his personal diary from that war,and Teddy Roosevelt in his Roughriders do not take San Juan Hill,my great-grandfather was there.

Old 02-18-2008, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Appreciate the kind comments UncleBatz,One day I'll make it to the Wall,But in the meantime I go to Arlington National Cemetery To visit my grandfather and great-grandfather,I have been told it's unusual to have a grandfather and great-grandfather buried at Arlington national Cemetery.It's funny,When my grandfather was buried there, he was probably the first Native American buried there,And that was in 1964,My great-grandfather's buried there because of the presidential citation he got in the Spanish-American war in Cuba,I have his personal diary from that war,and Teddy Roosevelt in his Roughriders do not take San Juan Hill,my great-grandfather was there.
I am impressed! I'll bet you could enlighten us on many of the misunderstood or misrepresented facts" in our history.

To have both a grandfather and a great grandfather in Arlington is truly admirable as it shows your family served long and proudly.

...and the wall isn't going anywhere soon, at least not the permanent one.

Old 02-18-2008, 01:22 PM

2,516 posts, read 5,671,463 times
U.S. Army 1993-1995 19k
Like many others, my father served, his father, etc.

Old 02-18-2008, 05:19 PM

10,603 posts, read 11,630,663 times
UncleBatz, here's a little information from the diary of my great grandfather who was at the Battle of San Juan Hill July 1, 1898, he was in the New York 71st regiment Co. C. volunteers, and according to his diary, which is very accurate because he was there, the New York 24th regular infantry with the assistance of the New York 13th,and 16th regular's and my great-grandfather's 71st volunteer regiment were the ones that took San Juan Hill. The only reason the 24th didn't get the recognition that they deserved for what they did is because they were known as the "colored troops" the New York 24th regular was an all-black regiment. Roosevelt and his Rough Riders were nowhere near San Juan Hill, as a matter of fact they had been ambushed by some Spanish soldiers and the 10th cavalry unit had come to their rescue with a lieutenant Jack Pershing leading the 10th, ironic isn't it. It's all in my great-grandfather's diary.

Last edited by ptsum; 02-18-2008 at 05:27 PM..

Old 02-18-2008, 06:48 PM

Quote:
UncleBatz, here's a little information from the diary of my great grandfather who was at the Battle of San Juan Hill July 1, 1898, he was in the New York 71st regiment Co. C. volunteers, and according to his diary, which is very accurate because he was there, the New York 24th regular infantry with the assistance of the New York 13th,and 16th regular's and my great-grandfather's 71st volunteer regiment were the ones that took San Juan Hill. The only reason the 24th didn't get the recognition that they deserved for what they did is because they were known as the "colored troops" the New York 24th regular was an all-black regiment. Roosevelt and his Rough Riders were nowhere near San Juan Hill, as a matter of fact they had been ambushed by some Spanish soldiers and the 10th cavalry unit had come to their rescue with a lieutenant Jack Pershing leading the 10th, ironic isn't it. It's all in my great-grandfather's diary.
All very ironic, especially the reference to "colored troops". According to my best friend's uncle, he was one of th original soldiers who raised the American Flag on Iwo Jima, but when they re staged the event for the media he was replaced as he wasn't quite politically correct. So sad. The credit should go where it is due with no regard to race, color or creed.

Old 02-18-2008, 07:00 PM

261 posts, read 952,473 times
My family also dates back to the Rev War, Civil War, WWI, WWII, Korea and Viet Nam, but I am the only woman in my family to have served in the military. I served in the US Air Force - Air National Guard 1999-2007. I didn't serve overseas, but when 911 happened, I was activated to serve stateside.

I was born in 1972, so I don't know what the Viet Nam vets went through, but I have alot of respect for any member of the military that has been put in harms way.

Thankyou for your service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues