U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Have you served or fought in any of these? (Multiple Choice)
World War II (1939-1945) 5 2.53%
Korean War (1950-53) 7 3.54%
Vietnam War (1960-1975) 57 28.79%
Bay of Pigs Invasion (1961) 3 1.52%
Grenada Intervention (1983) 12 6.06%
Panama Invasion (1989) 11 5.56%
Persian Gulf War (1990-1991) 34 17.17%
Bosnia and Herzegovina Intervention (1995-96) 12 6.06%
Iraq Invasion (2003-) 31 15.66%
Military Service (No Engagement) 62 31.31%
Military Service (Unusual Engagement) 31 15.66%
Afghanistan 2001 - "Operation Enduring Freedom" (added110224) 4 2.02%
U.S. Army 5 2.53%
U.S. Air Force 1 0.51%
U.S. Navy 4 2.02%
U.S. Marine Corps 1 0.51%
U.S. Coast Guard 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 198. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 04:28 PM

5,946 posts, read 3,241,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
I served in a few of them. My experience has taught me a few things.
1. UN missions always turn out to be a goat screw.
2. Politicians should let their military plan and fight the battles, and do what they do best and thats win.
3. Politicians will jump on the any band wagon that looks like it will get them votes.
4. The Democrats dislike the military but have no problem using us for UN missions. They fake concern but vote against funding upgrades for equipment.
5 Republicans claim to love the military but feel a few thousand dead is an acceptable number in a war that has very little to do with our mission statement.
No I dont support the war in Iraq. I feel it was illconceived and poorly managed. I feel our troops are doing a great job considering the politics.
I agree with going to afghanistan.... Could have used more troops but over all a success.
Iraq: You can't bring democracy to a people unwilling to compromise. Even if you can why should we foot the bill in cash and blood?
Democrats use us or I should say loan us out to the UN and we are used like a world police force. The republicans use us to pound out policy. Who is worse? LOL Neither they both suck.
For the most part, I agree with you. Active duty USAF from 86 to 99.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2008, 04:49 PM

19,289 posts, read 20,169,227 times
I served in the Army (infantry) in Vietnam. I was eleven-bravo, which will mean something to other vets of that era. The Tet offensive started the night of my 22nd birthday.

Growing up in a small Eastern state, I had never even held a rifle before I was drafted in 1966. Since being discharged in 1968, I have never had anything to do with weapons of any kind.

While in Nam, I never slept in a bed or under a roof. I never wore underwear. I never had my own uniform (every few days, while we were in the jungle, a chopper would drop a cargo net filled with clean, wet jungle fatigues -- many with shrapnel or bullet holes. We stripped off the dirty ones we were wearing, dug into the pile and put on a jacket and pants that looked like they might fit, and threw our old ones into the net, which the chopper carried away). I wore out four pairs of jungle boots. The last two months in the field, I never carried an M-16 -- only a .45 automatic and a claymore bag of grenades.

My parents were twice informed by the Army that I was missing in action. Both were during long periods of time when my unit was engaged on the Cambodian border. But I never got so much as a scratch during the ten months and eleven days I was in Vietnam.

One sincere regret is the aging which my mother and father underwent during my time overseas. I will always feel guilty for that, among many many other unhappy things that my life has brought to other people...

My life after the army was a nightmare, until I got my mind together around 1975 or so. Since then, I have learned to be grateful for small things. I am especially grateful that my two sons have never been called upon to do what I did.

Old 01-09-2008, 05:08 PM

10,189 posts, read 24,474,849 times
Thank you EDNurse and tinman01; tinman01 many thanks for the complete and clearly articulated response.

Old 01-09-2008, 05:11 PM

Yeledaf thanks for sharing your experiences.

Would you consider voting?

Old 01-09-2008, 05:27 PM

19,289 posts, read 20,169,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Yeledaf thanks for sharing your experiences.

Would you consider voting?
You got it.

Old 01-09-2008, 05:56 PM

7,139 posts, read 12,899,679 times
I served in USNavy 1970-74, as a Corps(wo)man, then medical technician. Stationed at Great Lakes, IL. I wanted to go overseas, but back then was difficult for women to get assigned. Was told there may be a chance if I re-enlisted. I instead was offered OCS and Med School, but turned it down, got honorable discharge and went on to college.

Am sure being in the military has to do with my stance on the war. However, I come from a military family and very conservative, so my views more than likely influenced there, as I identified strongly with my father. My siblings all have same values, conservative, etc. My brother also went into the Navy, but after the Vietnam war. My dad was in WW2 and Korean war, was AirForce. He is now in his 80s, and talks about the wars like they were yesterday!

Ibid what Mikey_NC said, a very good thread!!

Last edited by lilypad; 01-09-2008 at 06:19 PM..

Old 01-09-2008, 05:59 PM

4,428 posts, read 5,496,010 times
Default Thank You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
My life after the army was a nightmare, until I got my mind together around 1975 or so. Since then, I have learned to be grateful for small things. I am especially grateful that my two sons have never been called upon to do what I did.
Actually I'm happy that you were able to.........I guess the best word I can think of right now is...."recovered" by 1975....Though I think that never fully happens for most people caught in a war. It took my father until he was in his 40's to deal with his experiences in Vietnam (Marine Corps ,1965 - 1967, 13 months in Vietnam). I was a long road for all of us in our family. But he is good now and all is well. Personally I never joined the military 1. because by the time I left high school the first gulf war was over and there was over riding feeling to join. 2. While I probably could have still joined after 9/11. I wanted to see what the direction of military action was. As soon as I saw the Bush administration start talking about Iraq before we finished Afghanistan (And probably should have entered Pakistan). I kind of got the feeling they were not really serious about winning either conflict. 3. After the experience with my father "Coping" problems with life in general after the Vietnam war. It made me definitely think twice about the service.

On a slight side note. I really hope when these conflicts that we don't forget our solder, sailor, and marines. I know some you have mentioned that you should thank a soldier when you see them. But to me that only skin deep and that type of thing quickly fades with memory. I'd like to really see us as nation truly make an effort to take care of our soldiers after the battles are fought and the blood stop spilling. I'm truly sickened whenever I see the VA have to have budget cuts at. Yeah some of it due to inefficiencies but alot of it is that they don't want to spend the money on our "Heroes." Long term people often forget them. And that pi$$es me off. I hope this time around that we will do our best to remember the sacrifices of our heroes. And will take care of them. I could careless how much I have to pay in taxes to help support them. So for all you "support the troops." Guy/gals Democrats/Republicans Liberal/Conservative put your money where your mouth is and take long term responsibility for your soldiers. Or you can shut the fook up.

Lastly I'd like to say thank you to all that have served on CD. You are the best and brightest of your country.

Old 01-09-2008, 06:12 PM

4,834 posts, read 5,443,768 times
Thumbs up Awesome post

Quote:
Originally Posted by baystater View Post
Actually I'm happy that you were able to.........I guess the best word I can think of right now is...."recovered" by 1975....Though I think that never fully happens for most people caught in a war. It took my father until he was in his 40's to deal with his experiences in Vietnam (Marine Corps ,1965 - 1967, 13 months in Vietnam). I was a long road for all of us in our family. But he is good now and all is well. Personally I never joined the military 1. because by the time I left high school the first gulf war was over and there was over riding feeling to join. 2. While I probably could have still joined after 9/11. I wanted to see what the direction of military action was. As soon as I saw the Bush administration start talking about Iraq before we finished Afghanistan (And probably should have entered Pakistan). I kind of got the feeling they were not really serious about winning either conflict. 3. After the experience with my father "Coping" problems with life in general after the Vietnam war. It made me definitely think twice about the service.

On a slight side note. I really hope when these conflicts that we don't forget our solder, sailor, and marines. I know some you have mentioned that you should thank a soldier when you see them. But to me that only skin deep and that type of thing quickly fades with memory. I'd like to really see us as nation truly make an effort to take care of our soldiers after the battles are fought and the blood stop spilling. I'm truly sickened whenever I see the VA have to have budget cuts at. Yeah some of it due to inefficiencies but alot of it is that they don't want to spend the money on our "Heroes." Long term people often forget them. And that pi$$es me off. I hope this time around that we will do our best to remember the sacrifices of our heroes. And will take care of them. I could careless how much I have to pay in taxes to help support them. So for all you "support the troops." Guy/gals Democrats/Republicans Liberal/Conservative put your money where your mouth is and take long term responsibility for your soldiers. Or you can shut the fook up.

Lastly I'd like to say thank you to all that have served on CD. You are the best and brightest of your country.
Awesome post. The cost for continuous and good medical attention and support for our Disabled Veterans is a pittance compared to the cost of this Persian Gulf War tied together to billions paid to Arab countries for foreign aid. If my taxes have to go up to support them....so be it! Who better to spend our tax dollars on.

This is one excellent thread...bravo to you ontheroad

Old 01-09-2008, 06:20 PM

Thanks, lilypad, for checking in. I wonder if war will enter our book club discussion, especially when we get to the Boom book.

Talk to you soon! <wave>

Last edited by ontheroad; 01-09-2008 at 06:28 PM..

Old 01-09-2008, 06:22 PM

baystater, many thanks for sharing some of your thoughts on how your father's service affected you and influenced your decision to not serve in our current interventions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or