U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Have you served or fought in any of these? (Multiple Choice)
World War II (1939-1945) 5 2.53%
Korean War (1950-53) 7 3.54%
Vietnam War (1960-1975) 57 28.79%
Bay of Pigs Invasion (1961) 3 1.52%
Grenada Intervention (1983) 12 6.06%
Panama Invasion (1989) 11 5.56%
Persian Gulf War (1990-1991) 34 17.17%
Bosnia and Herzegovina Intervention (1995-96) 12 6.06%
Iraq Invasion (2003-) 31 15.66%
Military Service (No Engagement) 62 31.31%
Military Service (Unusual Engagement) 31 15.66%
Afghanistan 2001 - "Operation Enduring Freedom" (added110224) 4 2.02%
U.S. Army 5 2.53%
U.S. Air Force 1 0.51%
U.S. Navy 4 2.02%
U.S. Marine Corps 1 0.51%
U.S. Coast Guard 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 198. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 06:21 AM

1,480 posts, read 4,365,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Thanks for your response. I added an optiion just for you and others that served in special circumstances.

May I ask that you vote now, please!
I voted, I'm in the "unusual engagement" category. Yemen wasn't much of an engagement. For the time, it was an isolated incident, so I took no offense to being left off your original survey. Thanks for including a category for me.

It was pretty bizzare, though, being there for a month following the attack. We had re-fueled only a month prior at the same dock where the USS Cole was attacked. There were so many small boats around that security was almost non-existent. Boats to take the trash, boats to bring supplies, boats to tend the lines, etc. Anyone could have sneaked up.

Our ship was a smaller Frigate. That bomb would have blown us in half. The Cole was high tech Destroyer and a prize target. She didn't sink, though. We got her fixed up and towed her out of there. The USS Cole was repaired and is still in service, FYI.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2008, 06:48 AM

41,505 posts, read 49,538,721 times
I served in the US Navy Reserve 1963 - 69p in 'nam 66-67 (forty years ago!) in the River Assault Group (PBRs and Swift Boats).

Mikey - did you ever wonder if the stuff you did was legal or not? I know some of my "action" was questionable but as an enlisted man I never asked, but I did think about it..

The problem with our current war is that enough people and companies are getting rich enough off the war spending to justify our military and civilian causalities. IMHO their and the Iraqi’s lives are being sacrificed on the Altar of Mammon.

That is just wrong. War to defend your people and your land against an invasion is justifiable. An invasion to protect some international corporation’s profit is obscene!

PS. I assume you meant Served not serviced.

Last edited by GregW; 01-10-2008 at 06:54 AM.. Reason: text

Old 01-10-2008, 06:56 AM

4,834 posts, read 5,440,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
Hey Mikey, I was a "12B" combat engineer too, mainly bridge building while serving in Germany. Went to jump school at Ft Benning too. Didn't attend any special ops stuff like you did, but went on plenty of cold war era patrols along the former East German border in the 1970s.
I was on a visit to Missouri last year, and took a detour off I44 to go visit good old Ft Leonard Wood and the Museum on that post that is loaded with exhibits about all of the Army's combat engineering units. If you haven't seen it, try to visit some time.
recycled:

Actually, I went to The Corps of Engineers School at Ft Belvoir, VA and was segwayed from Construction Engineers to Combat with just the issuance of special orders. I took my jump school training at Fort Bragg. There is a fantastic Airborne Museum there now and every Paratrooper should see it. Here is the link...hope it's ok to post...for all to share:

Museums (http://www.bragg.army.mil/18abn/museums.htm - broken link)

We fondly referred to Ft Leonard Wood as Fort "Lost in the woods" at the time. I will definitely get to that museum if ever I get to Missouri.

Ah....fond memories!

Old 01-10-2008, 07:03 AM

28,227 posts, read 19,208,307 times
OnTheRoad-Thanks-I do dabble in other forums-LOL.

Our wonderful men and women who serve deserve so much more than they get as far as respect, health care,etc. Life is far from easy for them or their families who are often left behind-I know all about that.

BTW while my husband served in VN his ship, The Morganthau, blew out the largest enemy ship loaded with explosives.

Old 01-10-2008, 07:03 AM

4,834 posts, read 5,440,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I served in the US Navy Reserve 1963 - 69p in 'nam 66-67 (forty years ago!) in the River Assault Group (PBRs and Swift Boats).

Mikey - did you ever wonder if the stuff you did was legal or not? I know some of my "action" was questionable but as an enlisted man I never asked, but I did think about it..

The problem with our current war is that enough people and companies are getting rich enough off the war spending to justify our military and civilian causalities. IMHO their and the Iraqi’s lives are being sacrificed on the Altar of Mammon.

That is just wrong. War to defend your people and your land against an invasion is justifiable. An invasion to protect some international corporation’s profit is obscene!

PS. I assume you meant Served not serviced.
As an Officer I never voiced those opinions in front of my men but I did question some of the orders we got and shared them with my CO. Enlisted men are taught right from basic training to follow and officers are taught to lead, questioning only the safety of their men. The NCOs are in between and most smart officers heed their comments.

The current war is a tricky one as so many people and entities are involved and there is a large grey area.

I believe serviced is the term the OP selected but it's cool with me.

Old 01-10-2008, 07:14 AM

41,505 posts, read 49,538,721 times
I was serviced several times but rarely served. punning deliberate.

Sorry. I am really starting to bothered by too many repressed memories.

Old 01-10-2008, 08:17 AM

11,449 posts, read 13,911,504 times
In 1965 I enlisted for three years in the Army and, after all training, spent my two years (1966-67) overseas as a track vehicle mechanic with a Pershing missile unit in Germany. For me, like many others who were in Germany, the the years provided many good memories. At that time Vietnam was not such a hot topic as it later became in 1969 thru 1971.
In 1968 I returned to civilian life in my home Chicago and started my first job just as the city hosted the memorable Democratic Convention. I had conservative views regarding the war and, at first, didn't like the anti-war demonstrators. In the next 18 months I went thru some derailing personal changes and by the end of 1970, I was also against the Vietnam war. Since then I've been against all the wars.
Although I've never experienced combat I still feel a connection to those who have been in Vietnam, empathizing with them and admire their endurance. I will gladly salute anyone who has been thru the horrific situations in that jungle war. This also goes for Yeledaf (with whom I argue in other threads), but I'm glad he survived and has managed to get his life together after the ordeal. Here's my tip of the hat to him and all the other veterans.

Old 01-10-2008, 08:38 AM

42,668 posts, read 71,523,609 times
In a way, this question is a lot like asking a person what their job is. Your job is whatever you gotta do. Some people are proud of their job. Some people, though, recognize it is being an enabler for the haves to exploit the have-nots, and there are very few jobs in the private sector that do not fall into that category.

When our nation finds itself embroiled in some conflict or other, the American people do what they gotta do. That does not necessarily reflect who the individual is.

Old 01-10-2008, 08:42 AM

10,189 posts, read 24,460,221 times
Thanks Greg W, bily 4, recycled and Visvaldis for sharing your service records. Yes, served, and also military service.

And Eastern Roamer many thanks for the educational lesson and sharing your experiences.

Old 01-10-2008, 08:47 AM

10,189 posts, read 24,460,221 times
Perhaps out of context, you personally may find this question like asking a person what they do for a living, but for me it is more about both recognising and appreciating where members on this forum are coming from when they have responded in threads. And at the same time giving recognition for their service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
In a way, this question is a lot like asking a person what their job is. Your job is whatever you gotta do. Some people are proud of their job. Some people, though, recognize it is being an enabler for the haves to exploit the have-nots, and there are very few jobs in the private sector that do not fall into that category.

When our nation finds itself embroiled in some conflict or other, the American people do what they gotta do. That does not necessarily reflect who the individual is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or