U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Have you served or fought in any of these? (Multiple Choice)
World War II (1939-1945) 5 2.53%
Korean War (1950-53) 7 3.54%
Vietnam War (1960-1975) 57 28.79%
Bay of Pigs Invasion (1961) 3 1.52%
Grenada Intervention (1983) 12 6.06%
Panama Invasion (1989) 11 5.56%
Persian Gulf War (1990-1991) 34 17.17%
Bosnia and Herzegovina Intervention (1995-96) 12 6.06%
Iraq Invasion (2003-) 31 15.66%
Military Service (No Engagement) 62 31.31%
Military Service (Unusual Engagement) 31 15.66%
Afghanistan 2001 - "Operation Enduring Freedom" (added110224) 4 2.02%
U.S. Army 5 2.53%
U.S. Air Force 1 0.51%
U.S. Navy 4 2.02%
U.S. Marine Corps 1 0.51%
U.S. Coast Guard 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 198. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 12:03 PM

10,189 posts, read 24,471,174 times

Advertisements

Often our discussions address the military, and I am wondering how many members have served or fought in one of several wars, interventions or invasions. (Multiple choice for those who served in more than one!)

Do you think having served in the military changed your thinking about the present war favourably or unfavourably?

Last edited by ontheroad; 01-09-2008 at 12:11 PM.. Reason: Added poll
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2008, 12:55 PM

7,755 posts, read 16,457,602 times
I served in the Air Force as an enlisted ( to avoid getting drafted into the army ) man during the Viet Nam era. The closest I got to Viet Nam was the Phillipine Islands and that was close enough. Serving in the military definitely influenced my thinking. War is not a solution, but rather a major distraction that only delays working out the problems between the 2 sides. Any militarily imposed solution defined by the outcome of a war is fuel for lingering animosity that will rear its ugly head somewhere down the road. The people of defeated nations are always infected with a smoldering anger. Sooner or later the anger will erupt into violence.....AGAIN! We're back to square one with the SAME conflicting beliefs that caused the first war. War is a lose....lose proposition. Other than those who profit financially from war, the citizens of either nation watch the quality of their lives go downhill fast. I think most of us would admit that our lives are more challenging today than they were before the start of the current war.

Last edited by CosmicWizard; 01-09-2008 at 01:09 PM..

Old 01-09-2008, 12:58 PM

Thanks for your response.

I added another poll option so that those who served in the military can vote whether they were engaged in a war/intervention/invasion or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAgeRedneck View Post
I served in the Air Force as an enlisted ( to avoid getting drafted into the army ) man during the Viet Nam era. The closest I got to Viet Nam was the Phillipine Islands and that was close enough. Serving in the military definitely influenced my thinking. War is not a solution, but rather a major distraction that only delays working out the problems between the 2 sides. Any militarily imposed solution defined by the outcome of a war is fuel for lingering animosity that will rear its ugly head somewhere down the road.

Old 01-09-2008, 01:09 PM

6,760 posts, read 10,187,467 times
I've never served. Was rejected when I tried to join due to asthma medication. I still use an inhaler RARELY and have used it very sparingly since I was very young, but the recruiting officer told me that any use of asthma medication in the previous 3-4 years was automatic disqualification at the time. Quiet honestly, I bet they have loosened their restrictions since then. That was about 7-8 years ago. I was going to try to get into the Navy or Coast Guard.

Old 01-09-2008, 01:10 PM

8,017 posts, read 8,086,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Often our discussions address the military, and I am wondering how many members have served or fought in one of several wars, interventions or invasions. (Multiple choice for those who served in more than one!)

Do you think having served in the military changed your thinking about the present war favourably or unfavourably?
I had to think about this one.... I don't think anybodiy in the service ever wants to go to war (maybe those spec forces guys) I think Mac Arthur said something like that. I know I joined the Navy in 1979 and never thought
we would be in another war so soon after Nam. But when they told us your going to the gulf we didn't have anyone that siad thats not what I signed up for! I didn't think about this current unpleasentness one way or another my only concern was for the guys and gals in theater.......

P.S. I think I screwed up your poll I wasn't activly involved in Grenada or Panama just served during that period sorry

Old 01-09-2008, 01:24 PM

4,834 posts, read 5,442,752 times
I served in The U.S. Army Combat Engineers, got Airborne certified and attended a special ops school unofficially headed up by the CIA when I was in Korea just after the "conflict" ended and served in several theatres including the Lebanon Conflict between Korea and Viet Nam and some that shall remain nameless and unidentified.

I joined as a regular Army Volunteer and received a battlefield commission, becoming an Officer. I can't really share what I did during my term of service as it would still be considered sensitive and still classified.

I do not think that war is the answer to every conflict between States but I served knowing that I would immediately be sent in harm's way on 24 hours notice and I am proud to have served. One poster thought that only special ops guys want to go to war but I disagree, however he is entitled to his opinion. Special Ops "guys" are trained to go to war in the worst of places so that our families (and yours) can live in a relatively free and safe world.

The U.S. Army Airborne Rangers/Special Ops, The U.S. Navy Seals and The U.S. Marines do the dirty work that America requires and they receive mostly disdain from the liberal press and those who refused to serve and/or evaded the draft.

My two cents. God Bless America. Next time you meet a Veteran thank him for his service...he is not a politician but a true servant of the People.

Good thread.

Old 01-09-2008, 01:28 PM

Thanks for sharing whatever it is you're comfortable sharing, Mikey_NC.

I agree
Quote:
Next time you meet a Veteran thank him for his service...he is not a politician but a true servant of the People.

Old 01-09-2008, 01:30 PM

No problem! I appreciate you responding!

Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
P.S. I think I screwed up your poll I wasn't activly involved in Grenada or Panama just served during that period sorry

Old 01-09-2008, 01:48 PM

13,755 posts, read 23,226,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
Fixed it for you!

Old 01-09-2008, 02:02 PM

8,017 posts, read 8,086,666 times
Quote:
One poster thought that only special ops guys want to go to war
I was being fac..faceu...faceoue...... was just kidding see the wink......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or