U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 10:48 AM

32 posts, read 25,800 times

Advertisements

Go Air Force, there is nothing else to say. We all know that's the best choice. We are all in denial, I'm Navy btw.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2015, 06:55 PM

10,802 posts, read 7,873,855 times
If you do 20 or so years now, you may decide to go Federal afterwards. Or as in my case, I was Air Guard Technician so I bought back my active duty (USMC) and now I have 29yrs military (but reserve retirement) and I'm working on my Federal retirement. If you think you may have any chance of wanting to do that, one thing you can do is go on USAJobs and see what kinds of jobs are out there. Like, if you enter Building Manager worldwide and get... well, here, let's do this. 182 results for Building manager (huge variations) Then enter physician... 1843 results. See what I mean? I highly encourage you to explore the things that you're most interested in. You'll do better and be more successful. Also, many fields are related so, going in as an EMT, you'd be able to train for Firefighting later and use your prior experience. There are so many fields out there. Broadcast Journalism is a cool field. In 4 years you'll work every aspect of the business. On the outside it would take forever to get past gopher. I'll have to backtrack and see if you give any interests.

Old 04-01-2015, 07:07 PM

10,802 posts, read 7,873,855 times
Okay, mechanic. Let's think of all the things you can wrench on. Planes (try to go airframes or power plants and you'll be halfway there to your A&P license), boats, motor vehicles: diesel, heavy equipment, tactical vehicles, ROBOTS (for ordinance disposal), Air Traffic equipment (that's great outside work with the FAA), Ground Support Equipment (air/light/power carts for aircraft) You can wrench on POL equipment - fuel farm work is needed on the outside but also as a facility manager I've seen lots of openings for fuel facilities. (they recieve, store, and pipe fuel for acft, also conducing refueling and defueling) But there are different people who actually maintain the fuel equipment. Acft have other stuff, avionics for example. If you work for the FAA you need your A&P license UNLESS you're Avionics. (la-ti-da)

You need to narrow down what you'd like to do then figure which branch is best for that. AF has the biggest budget, I think. USMC has the smallest, the few the proud the poor . Navy will float you and Army, well bless their hearts, they're not as bad as some might think.

I'd try for officer if I were you. Or warrent officer in the Army because they get a fair amount of respect. Good luck!

Old 04-01-2015, 10:15 PM

1 posts, read 1,610 times
Somewhat related to the OP's interest toward aircraft and engine mechanic, and I was researching into the career field of aircraft maintenance, anyone know the potential outlook of this career path in the civilian world? I was assumed if you can maintenance a fighter jet, you can find similarity in a civilian airliner under FAA? Am I right or wrong?

Sorry, I didnt mean to thread-jacked...

Old 04-11-2015, 05:17 PM

824 posts, read 337,801 times
I've been out of the Navy for 20 years, but during the years I was in advancement was much quicker in the Navy than the Air Force. I made pay grade E-6 in less than six years, at a time when it often took 12 or 14 years in the Air Force.

I don't know what's happening in the Navy now, but I suspect advancement is still slow in the USAF.

Old 04-11-2015, 06:39 PM

30,152 posts, read 48,292,680 times
What you do want from serving? Do you want to jump from airplanes? Do you want to fly? Do you want to travel? Do you want respect from your co-workers? Do you want college degrees? Do you want to invest?

We all want things in life. Each branch works differently.

I have had tenants who were in the Air Force, and the differences became very obvious between my branch and their branch.

Old 04-12-2015, 06:04 AM

30,152 posts, read 48,292,680 times
In 1984 an E6 [10years] made $1188, an E7 $1336, a difference of $148, in retirement that difference is $74.

In 2000 an E6 [10 years] made $1830, an E7 $2003, a difference of $173, in retirement that difference is $86.

In 2015 an E6 [10 years] makes $3364, an E7 $3747, a difference of $383. in retirement that difference is $191.

Keep in mind that while on AD, base-pay is only a small portion of take-home pay. But retirement is not based on take-home pay. Retirement is only based on base-pay.

I retired in 2001, when the difference between E6 and E7 retirement would have been around $90.

Old 04-12-2015, 11:23 AM

391 posts, read 876,824 times
Oh heck. Find something (whatever Service) that you can enjoy whether it is on the line or more tertiary as you work a desk (move up equates to "staff/desk" for most). It might not be your # 1, but it needs to be something you don't burn out on after the first hitch and then part ways. Well less than 20% make it to 20 and for most that is a voluntary separation...even if they started out initially thinking they would be in for the long haul.

Good advice (whether O or E) concerning starting saving early (compounding and time counts). Disposable income=pay yourself first. Get used to not seeing that full amount right off the bat. TSP / exchange traded funds / mutuals are a good thing (saving only won't do it for you...that money MUST work for you). Do a bit of research from a reputable source (there is SO much more information out there than what I had starting out).

For higher education, get it some way. But, understand that not only each Service varies on the opportunities, but the job (specialty), and current location will dictate your ability to take advantage of those educational benefits offered (while on Active Duty).

Good luck in building that resume. Remember to NOT count on Uncle Sam for the retirement. You want that to be the icing on the cake when you finally retire.

Old 04-12-2015, 03:56 PM

350 posts, read 308,171 times
Suggest you read the following.

New military retirement system might be popular, study says

Old 04-12-2015, 04:02 PM

24,639 posts, read 39,904,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zed42 View Post
It is "A proposal that would transform the military retirement system". I've been hearing that phase for over 20 years...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or