U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 07:33 AM

3,286 posts, read 9,510,685 times

Advertisements

Poncho is right, they've been talking about changing retirement for 20 years at least. The military is a GREAT life. I've been in 15 years. I like my job. I like my hours. I like my pay. I make about $70K a year, and do invest heavily as my husband also works. We're set. We won't be rich, but we'll always be comfortable. I don't have to worry about being laid off. I get to travel. I've gotten my college done for free. I never had to worry about anything medical because it is all covered. I'm especially thankful for that as I've had some major health issues the last year (all good now). It's a great life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2015, 11:21 PM

64 posts, read 50,997 times
Navy wife here. Husband has been in 15 years. He's going for 33.He started as an aircraft engine mechanic, climbed his way through the ranks to E8, crossed over and is now climbing the officer ranks.

1) You need to have a strategy and stay out of trouble. That means on the job and off. Do your job, be motivated, get your certs done and submit packages they way they want (dance their ***)... and you'll soar. Be an idiot, multiple DUI's, too fat for PT, you'll be kicked out.

2) Navy or Air Force would be good. Not much experience on the AF side but from what I've seen it's a good life.

Good luck to you

Old 05-13-2015, 09:11 PM

1,504 posts, read 2,238,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
It is "A proposal that would transform the military retirement system". I've been hearing that phase for over 20 years...
Not to scare anyone, but those going in might want to actually pay attention to the coming fiscal year.

HASC and SASC both support military retirement reform that was recommended by the military retirement reform commission.

Quote:
Graham said the Senate draft also will include changes to military retirement benefits based on recent recommendations from the congressionally mandated Military Compensation and Retirement Modernization Commission.

That plan would replace the current 20-year, all-or-nothing retirement system with a 401(k)-style retirement plan and pension-style retirement payout. The change would allow all troops to receive some retirement benefits, but has received criticism from some military advocates over fears it could hurt retention.

Graham said his panel's version of retirement reform differs from what's in the House bill, meaning the two retirement overhaul plans would need to be reconciled in a conference committee.
Senate panel backs smaller military pay hike, retirement reform

I would guess reform will come much sooner than later.

Old 05-15-2015, 03:01 AM

20 posts, read 48,310 times
Thanks for all the advice everybody. So I still haven't talked to a recruiter because I have been working full-time and in my off-time I have been getting myself into physical shape. So far I can run a 6:35 mile, do 36 push-ups, etc. after about three months of training. In other words, I can probably take the military fitness test today and pass. However, I have had very little time to study for the ASVAB and to research what type of job I want. As of right now, I'm leaning towards the Air Force first and the Army second, but I still have a ton of research to do.

Old 09-09-2018, 07:28 AM

1 posts, read 1,311 times
IMHO after serving 23 years in the Army, entering as a Private and retiring as a Major when thinking of joining you should consider:

- that all branches offer the same benefits and pay, of which the GI Bill and Tuition Assistance is something you should take advantage.

- an Occupational Specialty that is transferable after your term of service. I began as a Topgrahic Surveyor, later became Infantry, HR, and finished up in Logistics.

- Work Setting. If you are a below average athlete I suggest Air Force, Navy, Coast Guard. The Army and Marine Corps is more physically demanding and can have more austere working environments (daily PT, Field Training Exercises, etc). Unless you work in a hospital, then it’s similar to Navy and Air Force environments.

- Advancement. In the Army I moved through the enlisted ranks a lot more quickly than my counterparts in other branches and even had a greater opportunity to become a Commissioned Officer. I believe that advancement is faster in the Army bec it’s the largest branch and which provides greater opportunity to advance or move around.

Looking back I didn’t do the research you are and was blessed to enjoy a wonderful career. I had a few bumps in the road, however the beauty of the military is that if don’t like where you are or who you’re working with it’s a guarantee that something will change in 3 years unless you both arrived at the same time.

No disrespect is intended because either branch Officer or Enlisted will provide you and your family the pay and benefits afforded to a middle class American family which is a very good living. Good Luck.

Old 01-30-2019, 05:09 PM

3 posts, read 455 times
I'm 26 years old and Im also US citizen who graduated from an American high school, Unfortunately, because of family reasons I had to study abroad in Mexico, which I graduated from a medical school, got my certification of studies and sent them to an organization which it works evaluating foreign credentials, I have been told that in order to be able to work as a doctor in the USA i have to passed several test before, pretty sure i understood this whole process, and my main concern here is.. is it possible to join any branch of the military and show my BA evaluated already for rank up purposes? .. for example get enlisted as a e-3 or 4 I don't know, instead of just joining as a regular high school student

Old 01-30-2019, 06:54 PM

8,363 posts, read 7,142,472 times
I say overall the easiest will be the Air Force.

The Coast Guard and Navy can be easy but if on sea duty, you will be away thus tough on a family. More away in the Navy then the Coast Guard.

The Army will be the most chicken **** but not hard and you will not be away.

The Marines will be chicken **** and harder then the Army.

Old 01-30-2019, 07:33 PM

24,688 posts, read 39,970,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
The Army will be the most chicken **** but not hard and you will not be away.

The Marines will be chicken **** and harder then the Army.
You can't come up with anything better or meaningful to say to say?

Old 01-30-2019, 07:37 PM

24,688 posts, read 39,970,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsandman17 View Post
I'm 26 years old and Im also US citizen who graduated from an American high school, Unfortunately, because of family reasons I had to study abroad in Mexico, which I graduated from a medical school, got my certification of studies and sent them to an organization which it works evaluating foreign credentials, I have been told that in order to be able to work as a doctor in the USA i have to passed several test before, pretty sure i understood this whole process, and my main concern here is.. is it possible to join any branch of the military and show my BA evaluated already for rank up purposes? .. for example get enlisted as a e-3 or 4 I don't know, instead of just joining as a regular high school student
Are you in the United States now? Or do you have access to US Military Recruiters?

You need to locate some U.S. Military Recruiters and start talking to them. All of them...

Old 01-30-2019, 08:19 PM

4,712 posts, read 4,641,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsandman17 View Post
From personal experience here is your choice.

If you can picture yourself on the water then consider the navy but I suggest army. They have the positions and rank structure for a long career. Air force is difficult to get promoted in because most people stay in so positions take longer to vacate.

If you want to make rank for retirement purposes then join the army. They have a bigger turn around more slots and places to grow into. If you really feel you want to test yourself then become a Marine.

So I say in order of where I would recommend.

Army
Navy
Marine
Air force

1SG Retired US Army

Go Army beat Navy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or