Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2015, 06:54 AM

20 posts, read 61,663 times

Advertisements

First of all, I am a 23 year old male and I am currently doing intensive research in order to decide wether joining the military is for me. At this point, I believe that I will end-up joining but I still have a lot of research to do.

If I do join, I will do so with the intention of staying at least 20 years, that is my priority. I realize that my question is really vague because there are lots of things to take into consideration such as what job I have in the military, downsizing, etc. However, without getting into the grimy little details, what branch would you say is most conducive for a military career? Furthermore, what specific jobs would you recommend that are in high demand? What I want to avoid is doing 10+ years in the military and then getting the boot because of reasons outside of my control.

I realize the military doesn't owe me anything, and nothing is guaranteed to me. However, from my research so far it seems like military life is for me. I don't mind the constant traveling, relocating, etc. That's actually a plus for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2015, 07:35 AM

4,120 posts, read 6,605,436 times
Air Force without a doubt, harder to get into.

1.) Advancement is more consistent than other services due to better overall manning.
2.) Working and living conditions in a majority of jobs are better due to their mission which is to support Airplanes which go into combat.
3.) Career fields "job" translate very well to civilian and government careers after the service.

Old 03-11-2015, 08:09 AM

93 posts, read 179,444 times
Coast guard, for there always be a coast to guard.

Old 03-11-2015, 08:15 AM

12,103 posts, read 23,259,223 times
If I had it all to do all over again, I would have gone into the coast guard or the air force.

Old 03-11-2015, 10:45 AM

661 posts, read 630,888 times
If you want a career in the military that is in high demand and secure, choose a Nuclear Rate in the Navy. But be warned, these guys are some of the hardest working in the Navy but they earn their pay and bonuses.

Old 03-11-2015, 11:16 AM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,325,303 times
Just because you start with one doesn't mean you can't finish with another, BTW. I had a friend that started enlisted in the Army and finished with a commission in the Air Force and retired a major. Also, I can't tell you how many times someone your age has told me all their plans for a military career and this and that, just to become bitter that they ever joined and leave after one term with a crappy job and no outside skills for the real world. You should be going into it hoping to get the most you can out of it (GI Bill, a good trade, etc) and let everything else work itself out. Don't put your cart in front of your horse.

Old 03-11-2015, 01:42 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,573,369 times
Default Irginia

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxwinxx View Post
First of all, I am a 23 year old male and I am currently doing intensive research in order to decide wether joining the military is for me. At this point, I believe that I will end-up joining but I still have a lot of research to do.

If I do join, I will do so with the intention of staying at least 20 years, that is my priority. I realize that my question is really vague because there are lots of things to take into consideration such as what job I have in the military, downsizing, etc. However, without getting into the grimy little details, what branch would you say is most conducive for a military career? Furthermore, what specific jobs would you recommend that are in high demand? What I want to avoid is doing 10+ years in the military and then getting the boot because of reasons outside of my control.

I realize the military doesn't owe me anything, and nothing is guaranteed to me. However, from my research so far it seems like military life is for me. I don't mind the constant traveling, relocating, etc. That's actually a plus for me.

My time in the Military was divided between the U.S. A F. national guard and the Coast Guard , and I would say the USAF would be your best bet. My first enlistment contract USAF ANG was 6 years , but after 3 years I decided that I wanted to go Regular Air Force until I found out that my first duty station was Germany , so I decided to transfer into a service that would put me on the coast(s) USCG. The Coast Guard was my worst nightmare because my recruiter was a lying wonder pathological liar.

1. First lie you can get any job that you are smart enough/qualify for.
2.You will be in a Prior Service Boot Camp , not a green horns Boot Camp
3. We do everything on the honor system no need to sign a contract
for your MOS Military Job And Training Schools
4. Your selection made with the recruiter will be respected once you enter
your Boot Camp Phase of USCG training

I qualified for just about every training that the USCG offered and decided on Marine Science Technology which is a ( go for/para professional ) for scientists in NOAA and the Coast Guard that study the ocean/ocean floor. I didn't get it after boot camp and had to go on a letter writing campaign to the commander of the USCG my biggest mistake ( not following the chain of command to remedy my complaints) making me a marked man for the rest of my enlistment in the Coast Guard.

I was sent to a green horn Boot Camp and had to write written complaints for two weeks , and was
finally sent to see the Base Commander who promptly sent me to a Vacant Training Bay where I waited for two or three weeks by myself ( responsible for getting myself to breakfast , lunch and dinner... uniform upkeep and everything else that had to do with keeping my Military bearing up. And being bored stiff in that Barracks all by myself until The Prior Service Boot Camp Started. So really I have been thur 2 1/4 Boot Camps 1 1/4 being USCG.

At the end of Prior Service Boot Camp my first duty station Non-Commissioned Officers looked at me
like I was crazy when I told them what my Recruiter Told Me about going to Marine Science Technology School and sent me straight to ALASKA for 1 1/2 years of Hazardous Tough Hard Duty then assigned me to MST School in Virginia.

After completing all of my Marine Science Technologist Schooling the school commander a warrant officer lied and told me that I failed my LAST Test and couldn't get my rating as a (MST) Marine Science Technologist which was a Double Whammy because MST are the only rating and school ( In The Coast Guard ) who grad's are automatic Petty Officers 3rd Class. All of my class instructors walked around with Red Faces for 3 to 4 days until I left a Seaman and not a 3rd class Petty Officer. To this day my Military Record is Blank Regarding The Reason For Me Not Finishing MST School and becoming a Non-Commission officer. If A Recruiter Promise You Something In The Coast Guard Get It In Writing and Don't Buck The Chain Of Command Making Non-Commissioned and Commissioned Officers Mad....LOL and watch your Backside.

The USAF is the hardest to get in but promise you everything in writing that's iron clad( a contract of training and enlistment) so if you can get in the USAF it is the best service for a 20 years Military career.

Old 03-11-2015, 01:58 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,122,424 times
Air force/Coasties.

If I wanted as near to a **** off job as possible I'd try to get on one of the "Active reserve" slots. (one of the guys who "house sits" and gets things ready for the reservists to do their drills.)

Don't knw much about it other than they often stay in one spot, but can request to transfer, are nondeployable, but can request deployment, and have to retire at 20. (last may of changed)

Old 03-11-2015, 02:21 PM

2,382 posts, read 5,392,514 times
I'd avoid the Marines - as a former Marine, I can tell you I met alot of people who intended to retire but ended up being medically discharged due to non-combat injuries.

Old 03-11-2015, 04:50 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,791,188 times
Are you a big city kind of guy, or a small town kind of guy?

The Navy has the bulk of its bases in larger cities, the Army, Air Force and Marine Corps for the most part are in small towns and make up much of the local economy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues