U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 05:10 PM

17,568 posts, read 21,748,544 times

Advertisements

My daughter has always been attracted to the military, however, she wants to go to college first.

She recently took the ASVAB (?) test and did well.

Is it possible to attend college first and serve after graduation?

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2015, 05:16 PM

24,131 posts, read 38,871,775 times
The Reserve Officers' Training Corps (ROTC) is a college-based program for training commissioned officers of the United States Armed Forces. ROTC officers serve in all branches of the U.S. armed forces (although the U.S. Marine Corps and the U.S. Coast Guard do not have their own respective ROTC programs, graduates of ROTC programs do currently serve as Marine Corps and Coast Guard officers).

Overall Description: Reserve Officers' Training Corps - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Individual service websites:
Army ROTC: ROTC Scholarships and Requirements | goarmy.com
U.S. Air Force ROTC Official Website
Naval Reserve Officers Training Corps Home Page

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 03-24-2015 at 05:30 PM..

Old 03-24-2015, 07:42 PM

4,521 posts, read 4,973,430 times
I'd recommend national guard (air or army). They pay for nearly 100%tuition for four years. That's hard to match and she'll graduate with more skills than average college graduate. She could then leave or continue shortly after she graduates (whenever her enlistment would be complete).

Old 03-25-2015, 04:10 AM

10,391 posts, read 7,472,821 times
The National Guard is different depending on what state you're in but I'm not disagreeing with ya johnsonkk.

So, one good thing about signing the contract and going to college is the accumulation of time-in-service which will be a great thing for promotion.

A negative about the National Guard is: It's not as easy going from the Guard to active duty as you'd think. At least with the Air Force National Guard.

Unless she can get into an officer program as discussed above, she might consider going into a field that would compliment her degree. For example, if she's interested in being an attorney, she can enlist as a paralegal and work on her degree while serving. Much of her training will count towards her degree (basic training is a phys-ed credit or an elective, technical school is so many credits, etc).

If she's easily distracted and can't maintain focus out there in the big wide world, it might be better for her to get her degree first then try for an officer slot. You can CLEP lots of courses and I think it's $88/course. She might knock out a semester or two just by CLEPing.

Old 03-25-2015, 11:01 PM

Agree that now it is more difficult to get into an active duty service while in the national guard, unless you are in a rotc program at the same time. Many people enlist in NG, partly for college money, partly for experience. Then like it and join rotc to go the officer route and in the process, improve their chances to get active duty. If the idea is to enlist on active duty after college, and money is plentiful, then I'd lightly suggest waiting. But by 2018, not sure how competitive the fun or best jobs will be in the military. I hope the Army is not below 400,000 by 2018.

Old 03-26-2015, 06:00 PM

17,568 posts, read 21,748,544 times
My question about the "order" might have been unclear. She wants to attend college first and serve later.

Now the Navy seems to be actively courting her. Are the reserves better, for someone who wants to attend college first?

She can participate in ROTC at her two top choice colleges.

If I sound confused, I am. I apologize.

Old 03-26-2015, 06:04 PM

24,131 posts, read 38,871,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
My question about the "order" might have been unclear. She wants to attend college first and serve later.
I understand that, and I believe that ROTC is the only program which allows you to "attend college first and serve later." (There have been some other programs in the past, but I am not aware of any other current programs).

Old 03-26-2015, 06:08 PM

10,391 posts, read 7,472,821 times
Not sure about current programs but in the past, if they want you, they can sign you up, pay for your schooling and let you go to school. Then you have to fulfill your military contract. I imagine that would only be for fields that are critical.

What is she considering for a career?

Old 03-26-2015, 07:05 PM

2,633 posts, read 4,393,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post

Now the Navy seems to be actively courting her. Are the reserves better, for someone who wants to attend college first?

She can participate in ROTC at her two top choice colleges.

If I sound confused, I am. I apologize.
Army ROTC comes in two flavors, scholarship and non-scholarship. Both of those also come in flavors associated with Reserve/Guard service, or no Reserve/Guard service. In order, here it is:

ROTC scholarship, unrestricted: all tuition and a small stipend paid, at a school offering ROTC-quite a few do, but not all of them.

Must apply and interview (with a current Professor of Military Science). Very competitive for obvious reasons. Parents tend to think their kids are some gift to the Army and selection for this category is owed, when in reality, you can usually get 5 more just like them or better because of the generous scholarship.

Will 'contract' (make a mutual commitment) as soon as eligible, if student can't contract (administrative, grades, physical, etc.), they don't get tuition paid.

Requires a non-trivial amount of time during the school year and in summer participating in military classes and training. That means, for instance, the student might not be able to do their_favorite_activity, because their_favorite_activity directly conflicts with ROTC and their_favorite_activity doesn't pay their tuition.

Must stay physically fit. If the student is disenrolled for things IN THEIR CONTROL: grades, attendance, arrests, etc., they will have to pay back the scholarship.

Student agrees to accept a commission IF offered on graduation.

Commission might be active, or it might be reserves/guard, depends on performance.
__________________________________________________ ______________________________________
ROTC scholarship, Guaranteed Reserve Forces Duty: same as above, except student must also drill with a Guard/Reserve unit, getting those benefits (small paycheck and some state or federal incentives) and on graduation, MUST commission into Guard/Reserves-no way to change that.

The reserves paid your school, now they will get your time. Less competitive than unrestricted, but still pretty competitive.

Some limits on amount of tuition.

__________________________________________________ ______________________________________
ROTC nonscholarship-student signs up for ROTC and completely participates. No Guard/Reserve requirements (time) or benefits (experience, money).

If approved, can 'contract'. If you contract without a scholarship offer in hand, that's it, it's irrevocable. You can't get a scholarship at that point. What you might get is a career.

Some schools give a break on tuition once contracted, but it's not a right.

Once contracted, draw a small stipend. Can still go active duty or guard reserves on graduation.

ROTC nonscholarship, Simultaneous Membership Program: same as above, except student must also drill with a Guard/Reserves unit (including paycheck and state/federal incentives).

In this category, they don't get a scholarship from Guard/Reserves, and they can still commission onto active duty if they want and are selected.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

#1 reason students are involuntarily disenrolled - misbehavior (alcohol-related incidents/arrests)
#2 reason - grades
#3 reason - failure to attend/fully participate

Questions?

Old 03-26-2015, 07:24 PM

For the last one, if rotc, then drilling with a national guard unit, most states pay most of the students' tuition. Also you are getting time for service which adds up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or