U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 09:13 AM

5,829 posts, read 3,774,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDODSON View Post
This is a terrible idea, it downplays the importance of those who are still active/reserve, or who were in for the long haul until retirement. What do you need a military id for, you cant get on base without a sponsor anyway. A lot of states are now offering a veteran drivers license, you just have to show proof of a honorable discharge. Thanks for your service, but seems redundant.

Active duty Air Force
Aren't you downplaying the time that I spent in the USAF with that statement? Every other veteran who enlisted or re-enlisted after being drafted, for that matter? If the veteran would have to pay for the card, that would offset the cost. I would be proud enough to carry the card around that I would pay for it, even if I never used it for a discount.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2014, 08:25 PM

1,407 posts, read 2,153,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
Aren't you downplaying the time that I spent in the USAF with that statement? Every other veteran who enlisted or re-enlisted after being drafted, for that matter? If the veteran would have to pay for the card, that would offset the cost. I would be proud enough to carry the card around that I would pay for it, even if I never used it for a discount.
The majority of companies that offer discounts are for active, reserve, and retired.

You can't go on base with the card. You can't use MWR facilities or the exchange. It's a waste of money and time. Thanks for your service but I'm failing to see the point of it.

Old 03-28-2015, 07:09 PM

1 posts, read 903 times
Default Military Discounts

I am retired military and work part time in retail. The store does a 10% military discount and you would be surprised by the number of people that want even more than that. I am personally embarrassed for these people that they would even ask for more. Too many veterans believing they are "entitled" and I am sick of it. With the exception of the draftees from WWII, Korea and Viet Nam, these veterans enlisted freely and are not "special". We veterans do not deserve any special treatment, any more than anyone else that works in the civilian world.

Old 03-28-2015, 09:13 PM

1,597 posts, read 2,973,098 times
If a discount is offered then we take the offer. We never ask for a discount for having Served. We have been known to ask for a discount for my handicap from museums and zoos as I cannot see any of the displays, yet wish to be with my family.

If I am told "no" then I smile and thank the person anyway; it doesn't hurt to inquire. i take issue with people whom behave badly after having been refused.

Old 03-28-2015, 09:32 PM

1,162 posts, read 1,268,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otis Kietchi View Post
I am retired military and work part time in retail. The store does a 10% military discount and you would be surprised by the number of people that want even more than that. I am personally embarrassed for these people that they would even ask for more. Too many veterans believing they are "entitled" and I am sick of it. With the exception of the draftees from WWII, Korea and Viet Nam, these veterans enlisted freely and are not "special". We veterans do not deserve any special treatment, any more than anyone else that works in the civilian world.
The military can't beat 18 years of entitlement out in just 48 months.

Old 03-28-2015, 09:40 PM

1,162 posts, read 1,268,860 times
Quote:
And I disagree on not being as you call it special.

It takes one heck of a man or woman to step up and serve, even if they are still a millennial under the camo.

Turns out you'd have a heck of a time conscripting the vast majority of our force today.

Are you going to conscript missileers? Nuclear operators? Patriot operators? Advanced Electronics operators? Sensor Operators? SEALs? PJ's? SWICC? EOD? Doctors? Lawyers? CRNA's? Dentists? What about pilots? Or maybe CT's? Or GS's?

no! N.O.

It's not going to happen, you can't spend that kind of money training a conscript, no do you have enough time.

So yes they are as you call it special. Despite all the pull of the civilian world, and a great amount of God given ability, they stepped up to do a demanding job so you can conduct retail transactions in dollars.

Old 03-29-2015, 07:44 AM

35,821 posts, read 39,409,007 times
Your service is only valid and valuable if you were forced into it...not if you volunteer.Got it. That makes sense. It's crazy how there are all these people who enlist specifically so they can get free breakfast buffet at Hy-Vee's deli on Veteran's Day.

Old 03-29-2015, 10:01 AM

478 posts, read 829,081 times
Interesting thread.

I'm retired military too. If an military discount if offered, I generally accept it. But the same is true for my over 55 discount.

And the concept that only those that were drafted (forced conscription) should get an offered discount is ridiculous. Do those who volunteer have any less to lose than those that were drafted? Moreover, are those that endure the hardships of military service and separate honorably any less deserving?

Old 03-29-2015, 01:27 PM

30,770 posts, read 16,999,133 times
Quote:
LOL...You are NOT a vet.....

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 03-29-2015 at 01:31 PM.. Reason: Do Not Call People Names !!! Not Trolls Not Anything Rude. Post Edited.

Old 03-30-2015, 03:00 PM

968 posts, read 1,014,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Your service is only valid and valuable if you were forced into it...not if you volunteer.Got it. That makes sense. It's crazy how there are all these people who enlist specifically so they can get free breakfast buffet at Hy-Vee's deli on Veteran's Day.
Not me -- I enlisted back in the 70's because I knew that Sizzler would eventually offer a free lunch on Veterans Day. My strategy finally paid off a couple of years ago!

Actually, the only Veterans freebie I've ever taken advantage of was admission to the USS Iowa on Memorial Day last year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues