Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2015, 03:21 PM

1,738 posts, read 3,006,336 times

Advertisements

The OP has a point. My wife works retail management and has to field calls from disgruntled vets a few times a year when they don't get the military discount their "entitled" to. The policy requires an ID. Some vets think that because they served, and are no longer serving, that they still rate the discount. The last call she had to deal with came from a guy who felt that his VFW membership card warranted 10% off of his 3,000 purchase. It's ridiculous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2015, 09:48 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,592,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyramidsurf View Post
The OP has a point. My wife works retail management and has to field calls from disgruntled vets a few times a year when they don't get the military discount their "entitled" to. The policy requires an ID. Some vets think that because they served, and are no longer serving, that they still rate the discount. The last call she had to deal with came from a guy who felt that his VFW membership card warranted 10% off of his 3,000 purchase. It's ridiculous.
Although, not all vets get an ID card. My dh is rated at 90% disabled through the VA but does not have an ID. All he gets is a veterans health care card. Home Depot will give the discount with the card but most places will not. He is still a vet. He served in Iraq. He just doesn't have a military ID anymore despite 10 years service and a 90% disability.

Old 04-06-2015, 09:54 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
Although, not all vets get an ID card. My dh is rated at 90% disabled through the VA but does not have an ID. All he gets is a veterans health care card. Home Depot will give the discount with the card but most places will not. He is still a vet. He served in Iraq. He just doesn't have a military ID anymore despite 10 years service and a 90% disability.
If you want a military discount, carry a copy of your DD-214.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 04-09-2015 at 07:09 PM..

Old 04-06-2015, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
If you want a military discount, carry a copy of your DD-214.

That has been discussed at length several times in this forum.
I'm not that worried about it. I'm just pointing out that not all vets have an ID.

Old 04-06-2015, 09:58 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
I'm not that worried about it. I'm just pointing out that not all vets have an ID.
They were issued a DD-214...

This thread is not about ID cards, it is about military discounts.

Old 04-06-2015, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
They were issued a DD-214...

This thread is not about ID cards, it is about military discounts.
Right but most places ask to see an ID to issue a discount. I don't know anyone who carries their DD-214 with them. I'd be worried about identity theft. Either way as I said I'm not worried about the discounts. I was responding to the post I quoted about a lack of proof of status and the fact that not all vets have an ID as proof.

Old 04-07-2015, 03:31 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,968,136 times
Each private company established their own discounts and requirements for proof. That is their RIGHT as a private company. People with issues about how a Private company operates should address it to that company. There is NO law, regulation or statute that requires a Private Company to offer any discount to any veteran or even active duty military.

Each individual State and it's local jurisdictions also established what discount, exemption, or other benefit is provided to what group. Many of the basis for these under state law is limited and not all inclusive. One state may place Veteran on any drivers license of anyone who was is a veteran, others do so only for those with a Honorable Discharge, and some only provide those who served during a period of conflict.

As a result of these various and independent reasons, what "Identification" is required will vary as much as the reasons behind the need for those identifications. The DD-214 is the ultimate document because it will generally cover the bulk of what information is needed by a certain entity to meet their requirements. However, it isn't always acceptable. Take Lowe's Home Improvement. They offer discounts to active, retired, their dependents and Disabled Veterans. The DD-214 does not provide the information that this private company needs to identify those eligible for discounts. So, you need your active, retired or dependent ID card, OR your Veterans Health Care Card with the notation "Service Connected". No state issued identification will help if your a disabled veteran unless they include that on the card (which most do not).

So, as the VHIC becomes more and more accepted and recognized, it is a card every veteran should have. Don't forget, the VHIC is a "Federally Issued Identification Card" with additional benefits many may not even know about. The decision to get or not get is that of the veteran. I personally can't for the life of me understand why veteran's complain about having the card or what more they want.

Old 04-07-2015, 04:42 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,253,222 times
From the Lowes web site

"Military Discount

Lowe's established the 10% Military Discount to support the men and women who are currently serving our country in the Armed Services1 and to honor Retired Veterans and VA Recipients.2 This 10% discount is also extended to the immediate family3 of those who are currently serving, Retired Veterans, or VA Recipients.

To qualify for the Everyday 10% Military Discount, you must:

Be currently serving in, or retired from, a qualifying branch of the Armed Services, or be the immediate family member of someone who is and have a valid military ID Card.

Or:

Be a veteran who receives VA benefits and have a valid Veteran Identification Card (VIC).

We honor all Veterans on three specific holidays: Memorial Day, 4th of July and Veterans Day. During these three holiday weekends, we extend the discount to all veterans who served honorably and who present a valid Form DD214 or other proof of service. The Lowe’s Military Discount is extended to the Veteran community on these three holidays only.

The Military Discount must be used on personal purchases only and cannot be used for Lowes.com purchases, previous sales, or the purchase of gift cards or services including product installations. It cannot be combined with the Lowe’s Price Guarantee, or promotions such as "Spend and Get," "New Mover," "Project Starter," "Your Choice," or discounts such as Quote Support Program (QSP) quotes.

1 Armed Services — US Army, US Navy, US Air Force, US Marine Corps, US Coast Guard, or the National Guard and who are in active, reserve, or retired status.
2 Retired Veterans and VA Recipients — Veterans who have retired after 20 years of service and/or those who receive VA Benefits
3 Immediate Family — Spouses and/or dependent children (up to 18 years old.)"

Old 04-07-2015, 07:02 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,968,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
Be a veteran who receives VA benefits and have a valid Veteran Identification Card (VIC).
and when you are at the register, they will open the little book and it now shows the new VHIC along with an indication of where to look for the words "Service Connected" under the picture. Very few other forms of veteran identification has a veteran's disability status on it.

I'm not saying that veterans shouldn't get state issued "veteran recognition" cards where available, just that the VA issues this one and it's the only one. Embrace it or reject it, but people need to stop whining over it.

There are so many more pressing issues regarding veterans that getting all worked up over some official "veteran" only federal ID card (and even worst discounts) is just petty nonsense unbecoming those of us who served.

Old 04-07-2015, 07:29 PM

39,209 posts, read 27,575,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otis Kietchi View Post
I am retired military and work part time in retail. The store does a 10% military discount and you would be surprised by the number of people that want even more than that. I am personally embarrassed for these people that they would even ask for more. Too many veterans believing they are "entitled" and I am sick of it. With the exception of the draftees from WWII, Korea and Viet Nam, these veterans enlisted freely and are not "special". We veterans do not deserve any special treatment, any more than anyone else that works in the civilian world.

My family owns several retail stores in the shopping malls. I have been asked TWICE in five years "Do you offer military discount?" I answered, "Yes, of course, 15%." They were very happy about it.

I've NEVER seen any veterans who wanted more, demanded more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues