U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2015, 08:42 AM

5,563 posts, read 7,640,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
and when you are at the register, they will open the little book and it now shows the new VHIC along with an indication of where to look for the words "Service Connected" under the picture. Very few other forms of veteran identification has a veteran's disability status on it.

I'm not saying that veterans shouldn't get state issued "veteran recognition" cards where available, just that the VA issues this one and it's the only one. Embrace it or reject it, but people need to stop whining over it.

There are so many more pressing issues regarding veterans that getting all worked up over some official "veteran" only federal ID card (and even worst discounts) is just petty nonsense unbecoming those of us who served.
We are talking about discounts because we were posting in a thread about discounts. The posts were moved here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2015, 04:08 PM

5,445 posts, read 4,398,223 times
I never go out of my way to ask, but I've actually had many businesses ask me if I am a veteran when they see me pull out my USAA debit card. I answer with yes and they are more than happy to give me the discount.

Old 04-15-2015, 02:50 AM

8,860 posts, read 4,826,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
From the Lowes web site

"Military Discount

Lowe's established the 10% Military Discount to support the men and women who are currently serving our country in the Armed Services1 and to honor Retired Veterans and VA Recipients.2 This 10% discount is also extended to the immediate family3 of those who are currently serving, Retired Veterans, or VA Recipients.

To qualify for the Everyday 10% Military Discount, you must:.......
Fair enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
I never go out of my way to ask, but I've actually had many businesses ask me if I am a veteran when they see me pull out my USAA debit card. I answer with yes and they are more than happy to give me the discount.
Good point, I never though of it in that approach. I don't have one of their debit cards but my insurance is through them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
I am not military but I think they should get discounts everywhere. They serve their country so you can feel safe.

Enlisted people don't get much $ for risking their life and all the crappy hours they put in, plus possible PTSD and all the drugs they have to pump in their bodies to last until they retire. Nobody gives a crap if they fall apart once they are out.

At least give them some respect and a few discounts here and there. We owe it to them.
I'm curious, not necessarily just for the poster, but for all.....does that feeling still exist when it is considered how devious, either actively or passively, we might have been against people while we were in service?

Such as: we were dong a gate search where both military and civilians could be involved and the plan (approved by legal but never used) was to have the dog from the lost holding pen on site on leash with a patrol officer to give the illusion that we had a dog team on site. Was that service "okay"?

Or sailing without running lights on the high seas at night, approaching every ship as a potential suspect until known other wise.

Or something I didn't do but consider...the use of high frequency sonar and how it affects marine mammals. Is that service "okay"?

Now I don't mean to necessarily slash what has been done in the name of defence, but inside the services, one can develop a different way of seeing things, such as, as said, that EVERYONE is a suspect until known otherwise.

That may be why, in part, I don't so solidly identify myself as a Vet because I have learned so much afterwards, not to replace, but blend with my military background.

Even my way of enforcing the law way back then, of taking tickets and those I could have addressed under the UCMJ instead of putting the military member in front of the federal magistrate, I now see as being potentially wrong. Why? Because at the time, we also ticketed civilians but the only course for their tickets was the magistrate and I was, potentially anyhow, applying an unequal use of the law.

Considering what we may have done, how Draconian we might have been, does that feeling still exist?

Old 04-15-2015, 07:14 AM

1,595 posts, read 2,969,104 times
DH always presents his Retired Mil ID with his debit card as an ID (since it does not have our addy). Sometimes he gets an discount sometimes he does not.

We never go for the Veteran's Day free meals and discounts because it is just not our "thing" since it is always a showy type of thing.

We are proud of our Service (I was also in the Army). We proudly have our Crossed Pistols and MP badge on our vehicles as it was a huge part of our adult lives. We have buried friends who fought and died and have tried to comfort those left behind.

Of the troops and for the troops...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues